• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do you identify different but similar looking shotshsells?

Several of my preferred shotshells are made by the same manufacturer and have similar hull colors.
Has anyone found a reliable means of marking their shells for easier visual identification ?

What about a means of marking with some relief for tactile identification (would be useful in low light situations) ?

Just a thought. Three different loads that all have 2 3/4 inch red hulls are pretty difficult to differentiate. Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?
Any ideas ?

when I reload different 00 buck loads I just mark on them with a Sharpie, a Metallic Sharpie in silver would stand out good on your hulls .....as far as a relief , I wouldn't want to alter anything on the shell enough it be reliably identified in the dark.....but that's me

If they are red then a fat Sharpie marker might work for visually identifying the shells, assuming that the original factory hull ID info is rubbing off and you need to keep track.

As far as tactile feel in low light to ID your load, I cannot fathom being so highly trained in stress-fire situations and so attuned to your different ammunition on board that it would be possible to select a particular load by feel. That is just flat impossible.

I do it for a living and I keep one load in the magazine tube, all the time. That way I know what's there. Run what you brung. No confusion.

yeah , keeping them separated is the best answer for me too . I always keep one load in the tube and the opposite load in a 4 shell side saddle alternating between slugs and buck. I have AR mags marked for different loads 55gr vs 75gr but they also always ride in the same place , never changed around so I know what order they are in with my eye's closed

I wonder if their is a permanent marker with luminescent (glow-in-the-dark) ink ?

The suggestion of metallic ink makes good sense. I will give that a try.

The "need" for tactile identification would come up if you dropped a bunch of shells on the floor (or tabletop, etc). I guess it would be prudent to keep slugs seperate from other shells (I don't want to accidentally fire slugs inside my home). I understand that under stress the ability to identify by touch is most likely diminished significantly. It was just a thought. What harm would their be to placing a very small notch in the edge of the metal rim of the shell with a file ?

Thank you all for your responses. Very much appreciated. I most definitely agree with "Run what you brung".

Marking shells is done all the time. Reloaders do it and it makes sense to keep similar rounds straight - say, at the range. With shot shells you could mark the case wall, the base or just yhe primer and have a good, coded system.

In a SD / HD night setting I'd only have a supply of what I wanted to shoot on hand OR as suggested be very highly organized so that can manage ammo with your eyes closed.

Most glow-in-the-dark products will require a charge to work. I'd avoid notching the brass. In the low light situation you are alluding to confirming a round would mean running a finger around the shell to feel the notch. That is time I would not want to spend AND what if the extractor decides it does not like the little notch?! Ouch!

yeah, don't physically alter your shells. Keep your magazine full and another source for and alternate load, don't mix them and learn to exchange loads through "toping off" the mag tube or throwing the alternate load right through the ejection port and you wont have a problem dropping shells and since everything is segregated you wont have a problem in the dark either

Back