• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How long do you usually spend cleaning your 715T?

BowerR64

.270 WIN
I just tore down my flat top and it took me every bit of an hour. I have cheap e-bay rail covers with little metal clips over my fore grip raiils. I also have a 1" rail riser under my scope.

Before i crack it open i have to remove 3 sides of the fore grip rail covers and the rail riser/scope. Then i can crack the shell and tear down the receiver.

Once i spray most of it out with gun scrubber i then go back over everythig with G96 it leaves a lubricant behind that i find useful for oiling in everything i spray. It saves me a step

Ive polished my feed ramp but i still find with .22 it leaves a thick coat of carbon behind that i have to really rub off to get the feed ramp clean again. I lightly sand the edge of the hammer with 1500 then use a folded 1500 and run it in the channels next to the firing pin on the bolt. I also lightly sand the bottom of the bolt and use the folded edge and run it threw the slot on the back of the bolt. This slot is where the bolt guide plate rides in. That slot always gets caked when i shoot mine and i find sanding it really keeps the action loose.

After i do all that i spray some G96 into the hole on the bolt for the bolt spring. Run the .22 bore snake threw the barrel a few times and put it all back together.

I find this one takes me slightly longer to tear down and clean then the handle version only because i always have a scope on it and the fore grip rail covers are more of a pain to take off then the rubber ones i put on my handle version.

The 702 plinkster? shoot that rifle is a snap to tear down and clean. 2 screws 2 pins and thats it.

I'm just starting out and of so I have only done cleaning and teardown on my 715 twice (and cleaned a few other things a few times) so I have a newb question - can you explain why the sanding? do you do this every time? also, you mention oiing the bolt spring hole, why is that?

Thanks

cdnmossy said:
I'm just starting out and of so I have only done cleaning and teardown on my 715 twice (and cleaned a few other things a few times) so I have a newb question - can you explain why the sanding? do you do this every time? also, you mention oiing the bolt spring hole, why is that?

Thanks

Well i do it to simulate wear. Take all the sharp edges off so that it will run smooth. Ive found with inexpensive guns like this one the fine finish on most of the parts are a little rough and if you take the sharpness off some of the key parts it runs alot better the first few times out.

I have 4 now, 2 702 plinksters and 2 715T sporting rifles. They all run flawless, but i think its because i put some extra attention on the fine finish before i take them out.

My first one has close to 1000 rounds threw it so i look at it and put the same wear on my newer ones.

I know people say you shouldnt have to do this with a new gun but IMO its worth it to have a smooth running rifle right from the get go.

I took out my 4th plinkster yesterday for the first shoot. No hickups, no jams it cycled smooth and flawless. It also shot better then the 3 previous.

The bolt spring hole needs cleaned and lubed also because that is a key part of the action. That spring i found is a little rough and inside the bolt the spring rides inside the hole. That part of the return wich helps load the next round.

I lightly sand the hammer edge because the bottom of the bolt rides on that edge and recocks the hammer back. I lightly sand the edge of the bolt, and the bottom of the bolt where those 2 key parts rub against each other.

The smoother all the parts that run against each other are the better the whole action is and the more reliable it runs shot to shot.

I want to try and lighten the trigger pull a little but im not that good with it yet.

All 4 of mine run really good though i love em.

Are you counting the time prepping the ice bucket with champagne and the cigarette afterwards?!?!

Sorry - the subject title just sounds a little tweaky to me - I mean, we ALL love our guns but...

mingaa said:
Are you counting the time prepping the ice bucket with champagne and the cigarette afterwards?!?!

Sorry - the subject title just sounds a little tweaky to me - I mean, we ALL love our guns but...

lol :lol:

I dont sleep with my firearms, not even on the night stand lol

I was just curious how much time they spend tearing it down and putting it all back together. Ive read alot of people dread cleaning them because of the AR shell.

Stock its pretty quick but once you pile all the extra gear on then it seems to take ALOT longer.

Back