• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How Much Weight Increase for the Heavy Barrels?

BRL

.22LR
I'm just curious as to approximately how much heavier the 18.5" 930 tactical breacher & SPX barrels are than say the thinner Home Defense model barrel would be?

I have read that Mossberg has increased the barrel thickness on the newer models, but I'm not sure if this pertains to all barrels or just the Tactical & SPX.

Reason I'm asking is because I have the 18.5" Tactical model, and that barrel seems as if it should be sticking out of the turret of an M1 Abrams tank!

You ain't gonna dent that barrel easily with that wall thickness! :shock:

Oh yea, I did sand down those sharp teeth slightly so as to be able to insert it into the back of a soft gun case without shredding the thing...still looks wicked! :twisted:

I'm sure it would still be up to the task of blasting a dead bolt off if I lose my house keys. :)

Do you think we're talking about an extra pound or so of barrel weight?

f351963a-0215-4aeb-a1ff-dd9446bfb1da.jpg

I had the SPX barrel at one time and currently have the std. security barrel. I'm not sure of the actual weight but the SPX barrel was noticeably heavier.

MikeD said:
...I'm not sure of the actual weight but the SPX barrel was noticeably heavier.

Oh I believe you.

As tuff as the breacher barrel is, I bet I could get by just fine with a lighter standard thickness home defense or shortened turkey barrel ect. as I don't intend to shove my barrel into any doors soon and I think I would much rather carry around a lighter shotgun for plinking at the ol' gravel pit.

Well maybe I could trade someone for a different barrel in the future.

Thank you for the reply MikeD. :)

I happened to notice that I had two extra Uncle Mike's sling swivels and a piece of nylon strap in my parts box the other night, so I grabbed a sewing needle and some upholstery thread and watched a late night movie on TV while attempting to make that barrel a little easier to tote around next time.

Ain't the most tactical looking setup but the price was right! :lol:

Back