• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I Just Joined the Club

BTW, I would love to have an antique style repo scope on my henry .357 but the ones I've seen don't enjoy any great reputation.

I wanted a Henry but got the 464. I am seriously considering a handgun cartridge lever gun next...45 colt probably or 44 mag, And a Blackhawk to go with it. Something with good adjustable sights (both guns) and a nice scope for the Henry. Well maybe not. I think XS and Skinner make good Ghost Rings. They will go nicely with the gongs i have set up for my KY longrifle kit gun, which I built last fall. KY Longrifle1.jpg KY Longrifle3.jpg KY Longrifle7.jpg

44 mag in a long barrel will essentially put down anything on the North American continent. Lots of 44 mag fans here.

44 mag in a long barrel will essentially put down anything on the North American continent. Lots of 44 mag fans here.
I was thinking a 24" barrel but I will pass on the Henry. I just don't think I will ever be patient enough to save all that money for one. By the time I get enough for a long barreled Rossi I will lose my patience and convince myself I cannot wait. There goes the Henry.

Are there any other choices out there for a long barreled 44 mag?

I just looked up the Marlin but its only 20". I can't say I've seen a longer barreled pistol caliber lever gun. I was surprised to see the Rossi you mentioned.

I just looked up the Marlin but its only 20". I can't say I've seen a longer barreled pistol caliber lever gun. I was surprised to see the Rossi you mentioned.

I think the Rossi is the only 24" out there...at least in my price range. It is just a possibility anyway. I already got this year's new rifle so I have another year to wait and save.

I totally understand the wait, I'm in the same boat! But dang I'm itchin for a rifle too!

I do a lot of online window shopping. That helps. Also talking about it here is sort of like a support group. Like a dysfunctional 12 step program that actually supports the bad habit but also is interested in managing the downfall of man. That may be a little dramatic.

I do a lot of online window shopping. That helps. Also talking about it here is sort of like a support group. Like a dysfunctional 12 step program that actually supports the bad habit but also is interested in managing the downfall of man. That may be a little dramatic.

Sounds logical enough to be believable even though in reality is more like a car sales pitch.:cool:

On the subject of barrel length in the 44Rem Mag, I wondered if this site would be of interest
www.marlinowners.com/forums/1894/190-does-make-sense.html#post2389685

One contributor posted this address
www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

Those ballistics make sense. If a pistol cartridge is developed for a short barrel, it makes sense that using similar loads in both handgun and rifle will not result in higher velocities for the longer barreled rifle. But there was a lot of up and down movement between barrel length that did not make sense. Going from one velocity to a lower then to a higher then a lower makes me wonder if the chrono needs replaced. But Manufacturers use different specs so having different manufacturers guns used for comparison may be good for selection of a new gun, it does not convince me that the data shown in the chart comes from one barrel sawed off starting long and being sawed off an inch at a time and then retested.

The data may have been for different loads fired from different length barrels. ( Al that to say...thanks, but the ballistics by the inch do not look real to me.) I will re-read the chart after I sleep off this 40 oz.:rolleyes:)

It is confusing to me, because it did not make a clear point about optimum, if there is such a thing, barrel length for the 44 mag rifle.

No clue what the best length might be.

But my Mossberg 464 .30-30 carbine sure is a fun gun to shoot.

I ran 60 rounds through the chrono today and was hitting 2009 fps on the hottest rounds we'd made.

I ran 60 rounds through the chrono today and was hitting 2009 fps on the hottest rounds we'd made.

I will be chronographing mine in a few days if all goes as planned.

Good lookin' rifle sir.

Thank you. I hope the one that I get is as nice. I have read many articles about how nice the wood is and this will be the first rifle (or gun of any kind) that is made wit a walnut stock. I thought it would be nice to have at least one really nice rifle.

What are you loading? The velocity looks a little low to me.

BTW Bud's emailed me with a Tracking number finally. It is supposed to be delivered Friday to my FFL but My luck, I will have to wait til Monday or Tuesday to get it.

Back