• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'm making my own CHEAP poly-coated cast bullets with Powder Coat

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
So there are lots of bullet casters who are tired of lubri-sizers and expensive lube sticks and gas checks or using Alox sticky lube.

Polymer coated lead bullets have for years been widely sold to reloaders as a much cheaper alternative to copper jacketed bullets. So it didn't take long for do-it-yourself guys to figure out that poly coating lead bullets can be done at home with our own cast lbullets.

See, I can cast wheel-weight alloy bullets for virtually nothing. Okay, maybe a thousand cost me a few dollars; not counting a lot of scrounging and some investment of molds and furnaces and such. But now I am making bullets for practically nothing. Still each bullet needs lubed, and that can be a pain in the butt. It just isn't "fun".

Powder Coat Paint is just a fine polyester dust applied to metals and then baked, and it turns out that those polymer coated bullets sold commercially were nothing more than a clear powder coat on a bullet. Voila! A great way to shoot lead bullets without any barrel leading, and it can be accomplished at home for an investment of about twenty-thirty dollars!

I am just a noob at this, and there are some REALLY SERIOUS bullet casters who do this with a true passion and a pretty deep wallet, and their results are magnificent. You want cast lead bullets in a certain color? Just ask. There is almost no limit to the rainbow of coatings that take to a lead bullet.

Here's what I did to get started:

I got a bunch of my cast bullets, and a re-used Cool-Whip tub, and a pound of red powder coat paint. Shaken bullets in the tub create sufficient static to make the powder cling to them

and then a ten-dollar thrift shop used toaster oven bakes the coating in about 15-minutes until it is hard.

The bullets are ready for a push-thru sizer, which I can size at about 300~500-per hour. Then we can load 'em and shoot 'em!!! At velocities that I could not normally do with conventional lubed bullets without some barrel leading. Even GLOCK polygonal rifling likes this polymer-coat type of lube!

Before this I was usually using Lee Liquid Alox lube that was easy but took days or weeks to dry sufficiently so I could then reload my ammo. Now, in 30-minutes from start to finish I can coat, bake, cool, size and shove em in the charged case and I am GTG.

Looking down the barrel after shooting these, I might find some unburned powder or soot but that cleans with just one patch. No leading though. I shoot these in .357-Magnum and I can hardly find any deposits in the bore.

Zombie Green? That's my next color I'm ordering. And Gloss Black. That will make them look like evil talon ammo.

These pics were taken of a batch I did using a bottle of powder coat paint that was left open on a shelf for over a year, so some clumping is evident. New/fresh unopened powder coat paint should look a whole lot better!!!!

Last edited:
Outstanding! :) A range report of about 50 or 100 rounds fired and pics of barrel and patches after is warranted here! And zombie green might show in the bore better. :D

Looks really good. I don't think I've seen that done before. Doesn't look too hard from the way you describe.

Excellent post my friend...thanks for sharing the process !!

I have been doing this for about 2 years now. There is a great deal of info about all the experimenting we have been doing with this on castboolits.com I will never go back to using a lubrisizer again. As a matter of fact I sold my lubrisizer on castboolits.com just 2 months ago. It has eliminated the need to aloy my wheel weight lead for my magnum handguns. I get zero leading at max velocities. This is the only way to go. For using the tumble method of coating we are finding it works better if you add about a quarter inch of Black AirSoft BBs to the Coolwhip container. It gives you a very even coat.

Oh yeah, as nitesite said it completely removes the problem of polygonal rifling and cast bullets. I send 1000's of them through my Glocks.

All of my wife's 9mm is hot pink and she loves it. I use different colors to indicate bullet weight and or load.

I have been doing this for about 2 years now. There is a great deal of info about all the experimenting we have been doing with this on castboolits.com.... For using the tumble method of coating we are finding it works better if you add about a quarter inch of Black AirSoft BBs to the Coolwhip container. It gives you a very even coat.

Yessir, absolutely correct for getting the best tumble results. I get okay coating doing it the way I showed in the photos, but really great coating with the black ASBBs. I left that part off my initial "tease" in Post #1 to show the cheapest suitable technique. However, it is well worth the added $16 cost for the Crossman black BBs you can find at Wal-Mart or Academy or Dicks.

Bump to see if anyone else is considering trying this really easy and non-messy technique.

Sure is a LOT easier than having a Lubri-Sizer and having all the correct top punches required for each bullet shape and the need for other spare parts.

This just plain WORKS, and works well.

GLOCK shooters???????????

Ive definitely bookmarked this for future reference. As always I just have to much going on at the moment to try it.

GLOCK shooters???????????

Send me a dozen cartridges and I'll try them in my 26. ;) I could load JUST the bullets, but I'd have to break out the reloading machine and the powder is questionable as I haven't laid eyes on it in over a decade. And it would not be done anytime soon.

I WILL be bringing the laptop and USB borescope (reviewed here at MO with link to GooToob vids) to the next range session to check the 1873 so it wouldn't be a problem to look at the 26 bore.

I plan on checking the 1873 bore immediately after I fire the first round through it in 50-60 years... I'm hoping to be able to "fire-clean" the bore--there is still rifling present but the bore is somewhat eroded... :( Might be a shooter, might not--goal is to hit the 100yd gong with a full mag. :)

Yep, you really got my attention! This is awesome and I wonder what it would do in a Flinklock?? :D

Edit: for those of us "boolit casting impaired" when you say "sized"... what does that exactly mean? I thought, once vast, the bullet was good to go :O DOH!

wow, way cool....0 exp with poly coatings but it sounds like a win win to me . Someday I'll get serous about casting . want to do it for the 10mm

I have an old box of Nyclad 158gr....would that be similar to what you are making ?

I have an old box of Nyclad 158gr....would that be similar to what you are making ?

oli~ Well, it sure feels very "plastic-y" after powder coating. It probably isn't the same formulation but the final result is very similar. I can beat my powder-coated bullets with a hammer until they look like fifty-cent pieces and the powder coating is still adhering to the lead like a second skin. Pretty tough plastic coating!!!

Yep, you really got my attention! This is awesome and I wonder what it would do in a Flinklock?? :D

Hi. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I would think that if you are coating pure soft lead balls or minies that it would work well, but you'd have to account for the couple extra thousandths diameter increase which may make ramming the bullet kinda tough to get started.

Edit: for those of us "boolit casting impaired" when you say "sized"... what does that exactly mean? I thought, once vast, the bullet was good to go :O DOH!

Sizing ensures two things: 1) that each bullet is uniformly round, and 2) that if a mold drops bullets slightly oversize you can bring them all to spec (many mold makers make cavities a tiny bit oversize, as they assume you will size the bullet anyway to match your exact bore diameter). For instance, a .45-cal mold might claim it drops a .452" cast bullet but they really drop at .4525" or .453" because of different lead alloy mixtures, etc. It might be best to size these so that the loaded cartridge case wall doesn't have a bulge because of certain brass wall thicknesses and then there are feeding issues.

Although to be honest, I have a few molds that drop a bare lead bullet ready to go as they come out at exactly the diameter I wanted when I was just putting a super-thin coat of liquid alox lube on them.

Now that I am PCing exclusively, I am casting my bullets then powder coating them. I'm then sizing them thru a push-thru sizer at a very rapid rate (500-hour).

oli~ Well, it sure feels very "plastic-y" after powder coating. It probably isn't the same formulation but the final result is very similar. I can beat my powder-coated bullets with a hammer until they look like fifty-cent pieces and the powder coating is still adhering to the lead like a second skin. Pretty tough plastic coating!!!
still expand like a bare hardcast......still be a good dangerous game round ?

still expand like a bare hardcast......still be a good dangerous game round ?

oli~~~ LOVED the pic, buddy!!!

Expand like a bare hardcast? An oxymoron?

I think most dangerous game rounds are not by design great expanders. They are penetrators which hold their weight and momentum. Aren't hard cast SWCs used a lot because they drive and drive? The bullet coating shouldn't matter much.

It seems impossible to me that this plastic/polyester/polymer bullet coating could possibly retard nor enable bullet expansion.

It's just a replacement for traditional bullet lube, really. Not much more than that.

It's fun and it's cheap!

Back