• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

JM Pro..Do it all?

I bought my 930 in 2009 a 24" turkey regular stock.At the time there was no JM and I could not find/was no pistol grip Choate stock model.I had a the idea of making one gun do all my SG needs.As I was slowly moding my 930 the JM series came out and THAT gun was 95% of what I wanted to end up with. I went with a plus 6 MXT, clamp with rail and UM sling swivel, Choate Mark 5, Carlson tatical choke, and the biggest Limbsaver grind to fit speed mount pad. Latest mod is the most excellent Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot fiber optic sights just put on yesterday.It will bite your thumb loading and turned out to be a little nose heavy. I did put a cloth strap from a 590 on the forearm to help handling.Its a nice package but if I could do it all over I would pick a JM 22" as the base for my build. I think it's a GREAT gun to start with! So if you were building/moding a semi for your ultimate HD would you use the JM to start with? I think I would and would get a regular cap and mag spring so I could use it for ducks and so I could make it as light as possible for use by my granddaughters. Folks say a 20" is good length for HD ....Can a 22" be that bad? What are your thoughts on making a JM set up to do it all?

I have decided Mossberg has a great SG design with the 930. However, the execution of the product has been so hit or miss, I have decided to save for a Benelli. I have the 930 SPX and like it very much, but I find I have to keep fixing crap that breaks.... Barrel site tower not mounted properly. Trigger group out of spec causing double feeds, screws that disappear with or without loctite. Parts breaking (Pusher Assembly), barrels out of spec (JM 22"). Front site disappearing, ect. Like I said, GREAT concept, POOR execution.

Keep in mind I average around 500 to 700 rounds a month in mine. So Benelli, here I come.

Or you could just go happily purchase a Turkish-manufactured low-end budget Remington and forget all about a four-figure Benelli.

They do not hold up to the abuse we put them through. Every single member on my squad uses a Benelli. None of them have broken or failed to work with quality ammo. My 930 (When working) runs with them until it breaks.

I guess because my 930 has worked so well for me I just can't see spending more than double for the Benelli..But I never seriously considered it before buying the 930.It just cost to much. A pump was out of the question in my case and the Mossberg was the best low cost choice. Is the Benelli pretty much problem free? I guess a high round count makes a difference too.How can I upgrade my 930 to avoid trouble and increase reliability? Or a JM? I haven't had any problems that was not ammo or a cleaning issue.

The 930 is a great design, but the execution leaves much to be desired. I have gone through three pusher assemblies (All cracked), two barrels (Canted sight towers), a trigger assembly (To correct DF's), and ended up switching to a vented rib barrel that has a ended up warping due to the rib being soldered in place instead a free floating. None of the Miculek's 930's are true factory weapons. All have modified bolt assemblies, trigger assemblies, and gas systems. I suspect their pusher assemblies are not factory parts either (Although I have zero proof of this). So, in my experience, a 930 can not be made to run like a benelli. As far as a factory benelli for 3 gun goes, the lift gate should be modified so the thumb is less likely to get trapped (That's pretty much it).

Does the Benelli have more recoil? In my case it only matters a little since I plan to shoot a lot of heavy 3" buck and slug loads and can't see it would be any real difference. The one thing that I have heard is that the Benelli will keep shooting longer without cleaning or any maticence at all. Do you have to replace any parts like you do o rings on 1100 ?Most any pump will function years years with no problems but all auto's need at least a little cleaning.

I took my JM Pro out today and fired 100 rounds of 71/2 and 8. I had one failure to eject that was ammo related, saw it was crimped funny when I loaded it. I also had it ghost load on me once. I only had about 25 rounds fired before today.

Does the Benelli have more recoil? In my case it only matters a little since I plan to shoot a lot of heavy 3" buck and slug loads and can't see it would be any real difference. The one thing that I have heard is that the Benelli will keep shooting longer without cleaning or any maticence at all. Do you have to replace any parts like you do o rings on 1100 ?Most any pump will function years years with no problems but all auto's need at least a little cleaning.

No real parts to replace (Unless you want to get a modified lift gate to save your thumbnail). Recoil is a bit more than the 930, but most would be hard pressed to tell. The Benelli is not gas operated so no carbon clean up other than the barrel / Choke tube. The Benelli M2 is probably the most reliable (Across the board) semi-auto shotgun out there.

Back