• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just say No, thank you.

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Ahh, it's just an anonymous survey, no sweat. Except for the dash cams that are recording your license plate. How is this even remotely legal? :x

Some drivers along a busy North Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.

It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.

"It just doesn't seem right that you can be forced off the road when you're not doing anything wrong," said Kim Cope, who said she was on her lunch break when she was forced to pull over at the roadblock on Beach Street.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is spending $7.9 million on the survey over three years, said participation was "100 percent voluntary" and anonymous.

But Cope said it didn't feel voluntary to her -- despite signs saying it was.

"I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.

Once parked, she couldn't believe what she was asked next.

"They were asking for cheek swabs," she said. "They would give $10 for that. Also, if you let them take your blood, they would pay you $50 for that."

At the very least, she said, they wanted to test her breath for alcohol.

She said she felt trapped.

More: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/North- ... ign=Buffer

^^ I reckon this is out the window :x :

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

and for $100 we can install this cool chip that tells us you alcohol level 24/7 and we wont have to bother you ever again

That government steam roller just keeps flattening your rights, constitution be damned. It doesn't change until a law suit is brought, but for the average citizen that is a financial sink hole!

I would never have participated in something as aggregious as that... from either side of the event/encounter. Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!

nitesite said:
I would never have participated in something as aggregious as that... from either side of the event/encounter. Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitesite, I truly appreciate your sentiment. It's great to know that we still have LEO's that understand these stops are wrong. I assume they are the mostly silent majority out there.

No department initiates that level of program on their own. I smell gummint money - and directives. "Am I free to go - goodbye". Letter to all of the above + press.

mingaa said:
No department initiates that level of program on their own. I smell gummint money - and directives. "Am I free to go - goodbye". Letter to all of the above + press.

$7.9 million according to the report. The police depts. that are assisting in this aren't doing it for free.

The trouble with this is that it's a total waste of time and money from a strictly statistical point of view. They will not collect any useful information for a variety of reasons having to do with sample sizes, the voluntary nature of it, etc. The results will be heavily skewed and not representative of the general driving population. I used to do this kind of statistics for a living.

But they will no doubt issue a report claiming huge success, which will lead to more money being pumped into somebodies pet project.

mingaa said:
Test group = ignorant, financially desperate people who have not been drinking?!?? Ya think!

An update to the original report. The project is under fire from lawyers, and the FWPD is looking into their off-duty officers participation.

NBC DFW confirmed that the survey was done by a government contractor, the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, which is based in Calverton, Md.

A company spokeswoman referred questions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

An agency spokeswoman sent an email confirming the government is conducting the surveys in 30 cities across the country in an effort to reduce impaired-driving accidents.

She did not respond to another email from NBC DFW asking specific questions about the program..

But a Fort Worth attorney who is an expert in civil liberties law questioned whether such stops are constitutional.

"You can't just be pulled over randomly or for no reason," said attorney Frank Colosi.

He also noted the fine print on a form given to drivers informs them their breath was tested by "passive alcohol sensor readings before the consent process has been completed."

"They're essentially lying to you when they say it's completely voluntary, because they're testing you at that moment," Colosi said.

He also questioned the results of the "voluntary" survey -- speculating that drivers who had been drinking or using drugs would be more inclined to simply decline to participate.

Cope said she is troubled by what happened.

"It just doesn't seem right that they should be able to do any of it," she said. "If it's voluntary, it's voluntary, and none of it felt voluntary."

Asked Tuesday if she accepted the police department's apology, Cope said she would wait to see what the review showed.

"They need to make sure this doesn't happen again," she said.

More: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/North- ... 38621.html

Pull over as directed.

Roll window down approx. 4".

Ask "Am I being detained or arrested?"

Ask "Am I suspected of committing a crime?"

Ask "Am I free to go?"

Ask "Who is the senior officer?"

Repeat questions...

OhioArcher said:
Pull over as directed.

Roll window down approx. 4".

Ask "Am I being detained or arrested?"

Ask "Am I suspected of committing a crime?"

Ask "Am I free to go?"

Ask "Who is the senior officer?"

Repeat questions...

Yep. Exactly. Perfectly sound advice here.

I'd take a suspension before I would be part of that fiasco in DFW. But, I'd like to know if officers just signed up for a traffic detail, and once the drivers entered the parking lot there were no officers immediately present for the "testing" and it was just Institute geeks. Still, it reeks. It was not voluntary if a reasonable person would think it was under color of authority.

And if somebody on the study team asked for blood, breath or urine I'd reply, "No, but hold out your hand and you can have a stool sample."

My understanding is they had to line up in a parking lot and wait their turn to say no. No pull out. And the LEO's apparently weren't very open about the "voluntary" nature of the involuntary roadblock. Disgusting.

Also, how reliable is a study about people driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol if the test is voluntary. What idiot would agree to a voluntary test administered by a LEO if there was the slightest chance it would come back positive?

yz9890 said:
Also, how reliable is a study about people driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol if the test is voluntary. What idiot would agree to a voluntary test administered by a LEO if there was the slightest chance it would come back positive?

Short answer is: It isn't (reliable). But idiots often agree to things they shouldn't. :lol: ;)

Back