• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just say no to 9mm

As a law enforcement firearms instructor for over 31 years, I can say I have been at all ends of this debate. After 31 years I have come to the conclusion that with a handgun, it's only effective with proper bullet placement.

No "magic bullet" is going to turn a bad hit into a fight stopper. No matter what caliber you carry, you still have to get good center of available mass hits to stop a person. I advise my students to carry the weapon and the round that you can shoot the best with. If you can put a good standard response two round group on a target with a .45ACP, great. If you can't, but you can with a 9mm, then that's the weapon you should carry.

We carry handguns because most of the time, a rifle or a shotgun, are either to difficult or inappropriate to carry. If we knew exactly when we were going to be involved in a gunfight, we'd carry that rifle or shotgun. Since we don't, a handgun usually is the correct choice. And being able to reliably hit your target cold and on demand, is the key to surviving an armed encounter.

Gunhand said:
As a law enforcement firearms instructor for over 31 years, I can say I have been at all ends of this debate. After 31 years I have come to the conclusion that with a handgun, it's only effective with proper bullet placement...........

Welcome to the forum, Gunhand. The longer you are here the more you'll appreciate this group. This is one of the best gun boards I've been on and I thoroughly enjoy it here.

Thanks for a very insightful first post. Good job, brother!

The graveyards of Europe are full of the bodies of criminals shot to death by FMJ .380s and .32 fired by the Police.

Howdy Gunhand and welcome to the club! Thanx for a great first post and look forward to seeing more of ya.

Back