• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Latest range trip

andrew678122

.270 WIN
I haven't been here for a while and I didn't want everyone to think I lost interest or anything...

I've been reloading my 30-30 cases and trying to go to the range every week (more like every couple of weeks). I've decided I was getting too wrapped up trying to find the perfect load, so instead I've just picked a good performing load and am working with that. My current formula is 1.9cc (using the Lee dipper) of IMR4895 (that works out to 29gr), CCI 200 primers and Speer #2011 150gr flat nose bullets. I use the Lee Collet die set plus their Factory crimper. I end up with some mighty nice looking rounds that also shoot pretty well.

My shooting is improving (this rifle is the first firearm I've had in 40+ years) and if I take my time and concentrate on doing everything right I can usually get the bullets to go where I want them. I'm having problems with the scope I'm using, the central dot is just too big, it completely conceals the center of the target. After Christmas I'm going to try and get something else with more magnification so I can actually see the bullseye.

Anyway, this is from my latest trip to the range, shot at 50 yards:
DSC08779.JPG

It's a nice group if I exclude the one flyer...

p.s.: plus I'm reloading for about 40 cents per round, that's $8 for a box of twenty, half of Walmart's cheapest .30-30s!

I really like threads that begin with "Went to the range today with some of my reloads..."

Even better when the post includes "It's a nice group..."

Congrats!

rjpoog1989 said:
that's a decent group for a 30-30. What kind of scope are you using?

Thank you, but I find that I should take the credit for the flyers, and my rifle can take the credit for the rest. I've always said that in the hands of a good shooter it would be excellent. If I really concentrate and force myself to do everything right I can shoot fairly accurately.

The scope is a Leapers UTG 1-4x24 long eye relief with the circle dot reticle. It's a good scope, but as I said, the central dot is too large, at 50 yards the bullseye is completely hidden...

nitesite said:
I really like threads that begin with "Went to the range today with some of my reloads..."

Even better when the post includes "It's a nice group..."

Congrats!
Thanks nitesite, the object of it all is to have fun and I'm certainly doing that. We chatted a while ago about using cast bullets. You suggested these from Midsouth: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00051207
If I get them my price per round drops to about 22 cents, I'm going to get me some for Christmas...

Back