• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Local history

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I believe every town has its' own unique history worth saving, preserving and sharing because it helps make us who we are.

Well, this is some of my story.

I started metal detecting an old abandoned company store (commissary) that has been abandoned for the better part of 70 years. The only thing still standing are 2 of the basement walls to ever know anything had ever been there at all in hopes that I can find some old coins, which are likely going to be in the form of scrip.

I'm sure all of you have heard of Henry Ford, but you probably didn't know that he wanted to make everything in house.

In doing so, he even owned some coal mines in my county to fuel his steel mills that produced parts.

Here are some very interesting accounts that even mention Fords' mines in Wallins Creek, KY by name. And even Edison for that matter ;) BLOODY HARLAN wasn't just a nickname casually given to Harlan, KY. it is also curious that the miners union was referred numerous times to communist and "Reds".
http://debs.indstate.edu/a505k4_1932.pdf

These coal mines didn't pay their workers money. They paid them in a private monetary coin called SCRIP, which was only good at the company store (or Commissary) where you worked. In all sincerity, it was barely a step up from organized slavery.

Each coal camp was owned by the coal operator. The employee and family was allowed to live in one of the coal mine owned houses, and was paid in scrip, where they could "buy" food and goods only at their local commissary, generally at a large markup.

And of course, the homes were heated in the winter from coal they miners "bought" from the mines where they worked.

My Grandfather told me that when he mined at the Kitts community where my Dad was born (owned by the Whitfields), he was paid .13 cents a ton to mine it, and in the winter had to buy that coal he mined to heat with, was charged .22 cents a ton for it.

Another story about the conditions the miners worked in consisted of how they treated the companies mules, which pulled the carts full of coal from the mines.

He said "It ain't natural ta convince a mule to go into a small hole in the side of the mountain down ta the face of tha mine. So, you'd have ta take a hot poker and blind it so he couldn't see where he wuz goin'. That made it so the mule didn't care ta go down inta the mines.

But you didn't let nuthin' happen ta that mule because the company paid a lot of money fer it, and those mine operators don like spendin' money.

They'd tell ya that the mule was worth more than you wuz 'cause if something happens to tha mule, they have to buy a-nuther tomorra. But if something happened ta you (the miner), they would be a line of miners standing there in tha morning to take your place while your family and belongings was being thrown out inta the street".

And so was life in the coal camps of Harlan.

Here is one piece of scrip that was local to me in Highsplint, KY near Evarts. I hope to be able to find a few more pieces around the old commissary in Wallins with any luck.

mine scrip 001.JPG
mine scrip 002.JPG
And scrip from another town (Stanfield, KY)
mine scrip 005.JPG
mine scrip 006.JPG

The bottom scrip coin was minted here:
the osborne register cincinnatti, ohio
http://www.osbornecoin.com/asp/page.asp?ID=1011

Recently, CSX has been in the process of removing an old set of tracks that had sat idle since the mid 70's when they updated that route. I suppose that CSX is scrapping all that old track and hardware if I were guessing.

Anyway, there were a few pieces that they abandoned and failed to remove. They are now on display in one of my curio cabinets in my den.

L&N RR parts 001.JPG L&N RR parts 002.JPG
These pieces above were from the old L&N line. You can see the old tracks before they tore them up in the far right of the rocks in this picture. Not sure if you noticed, but they were more narrow than the new tracks due to them accommodating an early steam engine long before diesel engines that were designed around coal carts and before a broad standardization of track width.

jt21.jpg
Some local L&N memorabilia
L&N RR parts 003.JPG

Here is a photo of one of the local landmarks in Knoxville, TN that I pass to get to Fort Sanders Hospital. It's one of the old Depot buildings that ultimately linked Cincinnati Oh to Atlanta, Ga.

2087251449_f4a9ee736c.jpg

http://knoxheritage.org/our-work/ne...c-downtown-knoxville-walking-tour/ln-station/

Can you get your hands on one of them ties?

Very cool post John. Sad really. But I'm a history dude. I love reading about it but if I can get the stories for the old timers here it's even better....

Very cool post John. Sad really. But I'm a history dude. I love reading about it but if I can get the stories for the old timers here it's even better....

You would've liked my Grandpa. He was certainly a man's man. Here's a pic of him with his pet squirrel "squawky" when they lived at the green door grill on Pine Mountain. This was not long before he got caught for tax evasion.

Or, in other terms if you're not a revenuer, got caught making/transporting/selling moonshine without proper licensing.

Pappaw 001.jpg

Just a unique identifier far as I know to identify it quickly at a glance.

I also have a $1 coin from the same mine that is slightly larger diameter, but otherwise the same, except the $1 sign.

mine scrip 003.JPG
mine scrip 004.JPG

The history of those in the mountains helped push this country forward and even still helps carry it keeping the lights on, but seems like hardly no one noticed or appreciated it.

Thuggery and violence, has not been forgotten, nor has the fighting spirit of the common man been extinguished.

coalminermonumentharlanky.jpg

From Time magazine:

life magazine bloody harlan mine operator rock hidden in hand behind him.jpg

life magazine bloody harlan.jpg

(yes, that is a machinegun nest)
life magazine machinegun nest checkpoint bloody harlan.jpg

Yeah, we're no stranger to resisting.

Still fighting 30 years later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gGqA8JAPnI

It's amazing and disgusting how easily our government and law dogs can turn on us....

Neat stuff, John. I'm not the biggest supporter of unions in their modern form, but stuff like your Grandad went thru is the kind of stuff that unions definitely improved for all of us, union member, supporter, or not.

You and I have talked about this kind of stuff before, and every time I hear this song I think of you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Travis. A lot of truth in that song.

Not sure if you know or not, but Patty Loveless has also done this song. If you listen to her intro to this song on stage, you'll know why she done so well with it. It's close to her heart.

It is sad to think that those coins you found probably have no monetary value (except to collectors) but to the people that lost them I'm sure their budget felt a pinch that week! :(

Awesome pieces of Historical Americana John...

People now days don't know their history...where they came from...and where they're going.

Damn shame too...they would appreciate how easy life is now...and know how and what it took to be an American back in the day.

And that American Fighting Spirit...got this country through two World Wars, a couple of Policing Actions and the Depression...

No wonder THEY don't want us to be armed....WE got them outnumbered and know the lay of the land.

We can be lean & mean when pushed to the limits of human endurance...!!

Yeah, that's for sure.

I'm sure you've heard the term "Redneck".

Well, this is where that started. Just up the road a little way from me. And you can rest assured there were miners from Harlan that went and was part of it because we had been essentially fighting the same thing as they were.

It was probably THE largest armed mass insurrection this country has ever had next to when the 13 states seceded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

excerpts:
The Battle of Blair Mountain was the largest labor uprising in United States history and one of the largest, organized, and well-armed uprisings since the American Civil War.[1] For five days in late August and early September 1921, in Logan County, West Virginia, some 10,000 armed coal miners confronted 3,000 lawmen and strikebreakers, called the Logan Defenders,[2] who were backed by coal mine operators during an attempt by the miners to unionize the southwestern West Virginia coalfields. The battle ended after approximately one million rounds were fired,[3] and the United States Army intervened by presidential order.[4]

The following day, President Warren Harding threatened to send in federal troops and Army Martin MB-1 bombers.
martin bombers.JPG

By August 29, battle was fully joined. Chafin's men, though outnumbered, had the advantage of higher positions and better weaponry. Private planes were hired to drop homemade bombs on the miners. A combination of gas and explosive bombs left over from World War I were dropped in several locations near the towns of Jeffery, Sharples and Blair.

In mid-May 1921, union miners launched a full assault on nonunion mines. In a short time, the conflict had consumed the entire Tug River Valley. This "Three Days Battle" was finally ended by a flag of truce and the implementation of martial law.[14] The enforcement of martial law was from the beginning decidedly against the striking miners.[15] Miners in the scores and hundreds were arrested without habeas corpus and other basic legal rights. The smallest of infractions could mean imprisonment, while those on the other side of this 'law and order' were immune.[16] The miners responded with guerrilla tactics and violence against this oppressive state-sanctioned system.[16]

The miners were angry at the way Hatfield had been slain in cold blood, and at how it appeared the assassins would escape punishment.[19] They began to pour out of the mountains and to take up arms.
Miners along the Little Coal River were among the first to militarize, and began actions such as patrolling and guarding the area. Sheriff Don Chafin sent Logan County troopers to Little Coal River area, where armed miners captured the troopers, disarmed them, and sent them fleeing.[20]

And people think the patriot act suspending habeus corpus are just hollow words on paper and think it has never, nor will ever happen on U.S. soil.

Lincoln suspended habeus corpus during the War of Northern Aggression...

Thanks Travis. A lot of truth in that song.

Not sure if you know or not, but Patty Loveless has also done this song. If you listen to her intro to this song on stage, you'll know why she done so well with it. It's close to her heart.

Yeah, there have been quite a few people I've heard perform that song.

Like we've talked about, there are a lot of parallels between our areas. We've got some coal mining up here. Still a good bit up north, around I-80. Down here, we had some coal mines, but also limestone and sandstone mining too. Used to be three or four brickyards here, as well as a company that makes sand.

Company towns and all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Despite all that's wrong with the world sometimes, sometimes you just have to stop and look around and remember why you are "home".

Here is the view this morning at 7 something from overlooking pine mountain. The little "islands" are mountain tops rising up through the fog.

pretty sunrise 11 15 2015.jpg

And the view of the sunset this evening.

pretty sunset 11 11 2015.png

My family is all happy and safe, and my heart is content.

I'm home.

Back