• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Locktite and “bolt pin” retention

Darth

.22LR
Locktite and “bolt pin” retention

I recently had to grind out the “factory staking” that retained two pins in the bolt (SA-20) that I was working on. I didn’t want to “re-stake” the pins afterwards because I might want to take it apart at some future date and grinding out the stakes is a surgical procedure.

Here’s what I did. I cleaned the pin and the hole with acetone, and then after re-assembly, I took a toothpick and applied a very small amount (a film) of the BLUE locktite on the top of the pin only, where the “stake” was. This is the MEDIUM strength stuff NOT THE RED STUFF. I was doing this as a test as I have never tried this before.

After about 4 days I tried to remove the pin (for the extractor) and I had to “moderately” drive it out … and it didn’t come out easily, it came out more like a "tension pin" after it broke loose. It took a "decent amount" to get it to break free, but nothing dramatic. Before, the pin would easily “tap” into the hole, I could almost push it in.

When I re-assembled the extractor, I had to lightly drive the pin back in, but I still put another film of BLUE on it.

So, for me, it works. I don’t believe they will ever come out … unless I drive them out.

After each shooting, I will check them to see if they have moved as part of my cleaning procedure.

Darth

hope it works out for you, sounds good.....the only thing that might work against you is heat

oli700 said:
hope it works out for you, sounds good.....the only thing that might work against you is heat
yea, I thought about that ... but the service temperature of the blue Loctite is -65 F to 300 F.

If I get that bolt up to 300 F ... I think I have another problem.

Darth

Darth said:
oli700 said:
yea, I thought about that ... but the service temperature of the blue Loctite is -65 F to 300 F.

If I get that bolt up to 300 F ... I think I have another problem.

Darth

But is that the time you wish to feel a disturbance in the force? I would work it to heat it up and see how it does.

Ripsnortr said:
But is that the time you wish to feel a disturbance in the force? I would work it to heat it up and see how it does.
When you say "work it" ... what do you mean exactly ...

I could heat it up with a heat gun and then see how tight the pin is retained ...

Darth

Darth said:
Ripsnortr said:
When you say "work it" ... what do you mean exactly ...

I could heat it up with a heat gun and then see how tight the pin is retained ...

Darth

I meant at the range. Do some good progressive ammo dumps with it and see if it causes any issue.

I would say to be on the safe side, do so many as a starter point, then progressively increase the number of rounds and inspect everything involved each time and look for wear or inthreading.

The largest difference is steaking the screw is permanent. Chemical binders can fail over time...I would put my money on stealking for critical parts.

Back