• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Longshot pistol/shotgun powder

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was able to find a couple pounds of Longshot this evening. Seems to be a fairly popular ingredient in many of the heavier shot size 12 and 16 gauge loads from ounce and on up.

Also read that many of the 9mm (and other) pistol cal's using it usually rate at slightly higher velocities from what I can tell from the reloading data.

Must be a slow burner. ??

Anyone else using it?

I have some Longshot, but sadly I haven't used much if any of it yet, I'm trying to burn through some RAM powder first.
My plans were to use it for 10mm, .40, .45, maybe .44mag. Oh and 30-30, 30-06, the list goes on!
Now if I could use it for 5.7x28 I would be set!

I mainly wanted it for being able to use it with so many things.

I don't have any decent places locally to buy powder, and I hate the $28 haz mat shipping, so the fewer the times I have to do that, the better.

I mainly wanted it for being able to use it with so many things.

I don't have any decent places locally to buy powder, and I hate the $28 haz mat shipping, so the fewer the times I have to do that, the better.
Buy in bulk!

Can't really swing 4 or 8 pounds right now, but I did get 2 pounds of powder and 2 different boxes of primers.

Those should do me a while. Especially the primers, though I will be loading for both 12 and 16 right off. And hopefully 9mm by the end of the year.

You're probably right nitesite, but it's a start at least. I wish I could've done more, but in time. From the help of everyone here, I am getting more confident about it.

After the powder/primers get here, I will have enough to do ~700 shells with leftovers. The powder will run out before everything else.

The wads arrived today and I won't have to order any of them for a long while. I got enough to do loads that will work in Remington, Federal and Winchester hulls, and 1250 wads to do 16 gauge, which was the driving force behind wanting to get into shell loading anyway since they're getting harder to find every year.

I tried to get enough variety from what I will have on hand to tie me over a while with what I had.

A friend of mine had 50 lb of #6 lead shot that I got off of him ($20 for both bags), so I won't have to worry about the next panic where shot/hunting is concerned. Unless it's the big one Elizabeth.

It's expensive primarily getting the powders/primers, but from my math, is still about a third of what it would cost if I were to buy them over the counter.

I'm to that point anyway Oli. Unless I come across a good deal, most of my bucket list is accounted for.

How did the Longshot work out for ya'? Like you, I prefer to buy a powder that works for all of my calibers in handgun loads so Longshot appeared to be the best choice, however, for me, the Longshot left a lot of residue in the casings and made for a rather messy clean-up for reloading. I switched to Titegroup, which works with all of my assorted handgun calibers and gave me an easier clean-up.

I would like to get some titegroup, but can't find any.

I don't mind the cleanup. But it's not been terribly bad. It's cleaner than some commercial ammo I have used at least.

A friend of mine had 50 lb of #6 lead shot that I got off of him ($20 for both bags)

Those are 1970s prices right there!!!! Wow. Big congrats.

I would like to get some titegroup, but can't find any.

What will you do with Titegroup? If you and I lived within 100 miles of each other I'd meet you half way and give you an unopened pound.

What will you do with Titegroup?

I'd use it.

I know that may sound smart alecky, but wasn't meant to be.

The titegroup shotgun load data is almost half the powder charge for 12 gauge STS shells as the longshot with the other components being the same.

From Hogdons load data site

Hodgdon
Powder Longshot
Primer Fed. 209A
Wad WAA12
Maximum Load
Grains 29.4
Pressure 10,900 PSI
Velocity (ft/s) 1,420

Hodgdon
Powder Titegroup
Primer Win. 209
Wad WAA12
Maximum Load
Grains 16.8
Pressure 10,500 PSI
Velocity (ft/s) 1,200

Granted I see that longshot will provide about 200 more fps at slightly more psi, I think the titegroup would be more to my liking for the 12 gauge where and how I hunt.

Especially for the price per pound.

If I can get almost twice as many loads per pound of powder, you know that's what I'm going to try to do so I can get more for my $$

1-1/8

I can bump it up to do more, or use the longshot for the stronger stuff, but 1200 fps is what the factory STS shells are rated at.

And I think the federal bulk shells are about the same. Can't remember right off, but they're not too far off of that. Within 100 fps either way I think.

I have another recipe using the versatite wads with longshot powder that are rated between 1420-1585 fps if I need to reach out farther, but I'll mostly be hunting squirrels, rabbits and turkeys. We don't have many grouse or pheasants anymore since the state reintroduced the coyote in here have decimated our grouse, and I don't do ducks or geese because they don't tend to come around here much. At least not in numbers like they do in other places where their migratory patterns are.

The turkeys are also relatively close in shots as well. 25 yards maybe, and I tend to do headshots on them, so the close in tighter patterns are a bonus.

While I have you both on here, I would like to ask a question concerning the figure 8 wads. Downrange makes them with 4 and 8 petals. What would be the advantage of one over the other.

Specifically
l_100052012_1.jpg

and

l_100052010_1.jpg

edit to add:
Factory Remington STS shells have 4 petal wads. I can take a picture tomorrow if you need me to, but I'm wondering what the 8 petals will do? Better or worse patterns? I'm asking here so I don't have to buy a 500 pack just to find out.

Titegroup is a very versatile powder for handgunners. It allows you to load from plinking to power and does it using less powder than most others. Like John A. said: "you know that's what I'm going to try to do so I can get more for my $$" and that's the name of game for reloaders: More bang for the buck! ;)

Back