• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Longshot pistol/shotgun powder

I noticed tonight after nitesite mentioned it, titegroup was back in stock at natchez.

And so were CCI 500 small pistol primers.

Those two things have been out of stock for almost forever now, everywhere.

I thought they had went the way of 22LR.

Unobtainium.

Oh the humanity.

On another note, one of the folks from downrange answered my email about the 4/8 petal wads. He said the 8 petals seemed to have a shorter shot string.

I assume that means tighter pattern in laymen terms.

Of course, Downrange would have a claim for their 8-petal wads. I'm not a ballistician but a shorter shot string might suggest a wider pattern, like a fan blade vs a torpedo.

I will send you some true Remington brand Figure-8 wads for free if you would like to try some.

Did you order some Tite?

Yes sir, I ordered 2# of titegroup and a box of pistol primers since I have been looking for them for so long.

I really hate that hazmat/shipping is darn near $50. That's hard to even comprehend shipping is almost as much as the product itself. That's a lot of money, but in all fairness, it's still going to be a lot cheaper than buying 3 or 4 cases of shells, so...

I wouldn't mind trying about 10 wads out. That way I can load up all 10 at once, but split 5 of the wads with a razor into 8 petals and 5 straight out of the box with 4 petals so I can compare how they pattern. It may be a while before I have enough hulls to load, but I'm curious how they will do.

I don't mind paying you for them, and whatever it costs to mail. I don't want to take advantage of your generosity.

I think the more petals the sooner it opens. I use a wad for 00buck that is solid, your supposed to cut the wad how you want it. I did all kinds of combo's and the more petals ended up as larger pattern slightly

Hodgdon HS6 is another one that does 12ga and 9mm good

Thank you Oli.

I didn't know how the pattern would react.

I have enough supplies to do me for quite a while now (thankfully) so I can load Rem, Fed, and Winchester hulls, so I'll bookmark some HS6 for future reference if it's good stuff.

Since I'm new to all the different powders and combinations, I'll take any suggestions anyone has to offer.

John A.

I'll send you a bunch of Remington STS hulls (what I consider THE BEST hull out there) and a bunch of Fig-8 Remington wads. It sure as hell won't be no ten, I promise you.

Let me know to where they should be sent.

The wads arrived today and I won't have to order any of them for a long while. I got enough to do loads that will work in Remington, Federal and Winchester hulls, and 1250 wads to do 16 gauge, which was the driving force behind wanting to get into shell loading anyway since they're getting harder to find every year.

I didn't see what wads you bought for 12-ga.

What is your hull situation?

I have a bag of DRA12 (Waa12) for the Winchester hulls, a bag of 12S3 (1-1/8oz) and 12S4 (1-1/4oz) wads for the Federal hulls, but I have no fig 8's for the STS hulls yet.

I bought 4 boxes of STS shells (100 count) for the hulls, but I haven't shot any of them yet.

Thank you very much. I hadn't seen that, but glad you took the time to share it with me. I also saved it to my machine for future reference too.

One thing I liked about what the author said. (paraphrased) The shooter needs to determine the accuracy they need. I very much agree with that. While it's easy to say "I want to shoot sub 1/2 inch all the time", in life, that's just not going to happen, mostly due to the shooter more than anything else. I think we all agree that most any gun is inherently more capable of producing better accuracy than the shooter 99.9% of the time.

My personal preference, if I can hit a 8 inch paper plate or milk jug size target at 25 yards with a handgun (which is doable, at least in static target shooting--on moving and breathing targets then everything goes out the window), and if I can shoot paper plates at 60 yards with a 9mm carbine, that is accurate enough for my needs because I don't consider a 9mm carbine to be a long range sniper rifle and I try to keep them in the closer range zero even if they are capable of more.

When I shoot, I tend to try to aim small in practice, so if all goes well, I can hope that I can hit small in life.

no problem, Graf's threw it in with a bunch of reloading stuff I got from them a couple weeks ago

accuracy is one of those things. I think it goes: shooter, ammo then gun. A lot of times if a good shooter has a gun that's not performing its just a matter of finding the ammo combo it likes.
But like you said center mass is good enough for some folks while others aren't happy with anything bigger than ear hole shots . I subscribe to the same thing you do though, normally shooting way small in the hopes I can hit something in full panic lol

I use Longshot for my own wildcat. It's something of a ultra-hot-rodded .45cal pistol calibre carbine. The ammo is externally identical to .45acp but it's something else entirely inside and is beyond .460Rowland by a good ways. Other powders just don't deliver the consistency in velocity at the load density I'm using and many get really temperamental when you compress them or put near this much in the case in the first place. My loads are usually heavily compressed which makes for an easy time getting inconsistent burning and pressure spikes if you're not careful. LS is the only powder that's been as progressive and linear and mild mannered to deal with while I'm playing at the absolute limits of case capacity.

Loaded some of the Hornady versatite wads this morning. They had considerable more oomph than the handicap STS load copies I did earlier this week.

.163 bushing averaged about 33.0 gr of longshot powder, win 209 primers, 1-1/8 oz leadshot #6 and Rem STS hulls.

Pretty good patterning too for almost 25 yards I think.

Yep, that load sure does pack more punch than the Titegroup load!

Thanks for the video, friend!!!!!

At about twice the powder charge, it lets' you know it's there.

No overshot card needed to get a good crimp either.

Back