• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Low recoil shells in slug or 00 buck

Hi guys. I'm testing different types of shells since i only owned my mossy 500 for 6 months. I have tried Remington slugs and 3" 00 bucks, Federal hydra shok 00 buck, Win PDX1 slug/00 buck and Fiochi low recoil slug. I have an Ati Talon adjustable stock with pistol grip. I'm trying to find a good shell that does kick alot so my wife can practice and enjoy the shotgun. Im got some Hornandy TAP shells that im going to try out.

I'm thinking on maybe upgrade the pad to a limbsaver but I'm not sure if it will make a big difference. Don't get me wrong I know is a shotgun and it going to hurt some but i'm just trying to make it more comfortable on her so she can practice with it at the range. Any other suggested shells? Thanks.

Are you just out plinking having fun? Bird shot can be fun and less recoil, handicap target loads are great for working on your mechanics, they are cheap and you could reload the hulls with full power or low recoil slugs or buck. I have only shot the Fed low recoil and it seems only a little less than a normal 00 buck to me. I have been playing with low recoil reloads, so that could be an option for you if you are so inclined to start reloading. Hunting and self defense rounds( buck & slugs) can only go so low or they will start to compromise penetration. Limb Saver is an excellent product and could be just enough to make it more fun and less pain for her

My daughter Allison, 12 years old likes the Hornady TAP LE low recoil 8 pellet 00 buck.

As far as the recoil goes, some birdshot is gonna kick just as hard, but super handicap stuff isnt too bad. My preference is Winchester AA. Some of the bird loads are high speed and can be as much as 1600 fps, about the same as full power 00 and slugs.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this section, "Ammo performance Evaluation" or something like that. You can check out the thread and several different loads are featured with the ballistics like low recoil or full power.

I've yet to try any Remington low recoil, but I have shot Remington 3" magnum stell shot and it will throw you for a loop if you arent ready for it.

Stay away from Hornady TAP Light Magnum if you want a softer shooting load. They were designed to function and cycle the autoloaders that are inertia driven or recoil operated.

Magnum loads wont be friendly at all.

There are quite a few low recoil loads commercially available, and worst case scenario, check out local gun shops, especially the smaller places and see if they can order something in if you cant find what you want.

Winchester has their "WinLite" loads. The slug is identical to the Winchester Ranger low recoil foster type rifled slug. I have yet to find the WinLite low recoil 00, but the Winchester Ranger low recoil 00 is easy shooting stuff too. They also make a low recoil AA birdshot load.

Federal VitalShok TruBall slugs can be found in a low recoil load too, as well as VitalShok low recoil 00 with the FliteControl wad. Both are identical to the law enforcement loads, but can get pricey... perhaps because they are quite possibly the best available.

I havent used a limbsaver, but the Hogue stocks are quite plush and even my daughter can handle the 12 ga. with the Hogue stuff.

Hope this can be helpful to you and dont hesitate with more questions! Make it fun for your wife too and shell be happy to shoot with you, but mess her and load a 3" magnum and she'll never shoot with you again. Have fun!!! ;)

Jayta98;

Lite birdshot is best for beginners. Also, have her push forward on the forearm when taking aim and firing. Most folks instinctively pull back w/ both hands. However much she is pushing forward at the time of the shot automatically reduces recoil by the same amount.

Good point NK, I forgot to mention pushing forward on the forend!

Jayta98 said:
....I have tried Remington slugs and 3" 00 bucks, Federal hydra shok 00 buck, Win PDX1 slug/00 buck and Fiochi low recoil slug......

For a fun day of shooting practice and something that will not break the bank, most of what you have tried are not ideal for your lady. For her to "just shoot" then you would want to stay away from any 3" shells, period. Sure a couple now and then for kicks is ok but regular 2-3/4" birdshot is great for what your looking for. Something like a 8 shot size value pack of 100 rounds that sells for about $25 at a walmart is what to look for. While there buy a box of clay pigeons for something to shoot at. I don't even throw them I just lay them on the berm and shoot at which is easier than paper targets and stapeling up. This of course depends on the type of range or location you shoot at as to if you can use clay targets.

For low recoil fun:

7 to 8.5 bird shot (aka, target shells etc) run about .25 cents a shell
low recoil 00B can be found for about .40 -.55 cents a shell
low quality slugs like RIO of Fiocchi shot shells run about .60 cents a shell

You must be paying at least a dollar a shell for the PDX1, hydra shok, and most 3" shells for those very high quality shells. They definately have a purpose but for range shooting you can shoot longer and have more fun and be easier on your shoulder with a lower cost/quality shells.

The biggest loads do not have to hurt. The Limbsaver made a difference and put on a recoil reducing stock really makes most any shot enjoyable except for the noise and what ever it might be you are shooting.

I, like a couple of others have the Knoxx Blackhawk Spec-Ops recoil reducing stock with a Limbsaver butt pad and I think we can all testify to what I am saying. KickLite is another one and there may be others.

There is no reason to hurt when shooting for fun, trying to put food on the table or defending your castle.

I may be wrong but recoil reducing shot shells must have a slower muzzle velocity thus having more drop in the trajectory and less energy on impact at much distance.

Depending on the range and the intended target. One BB can kill very small game but bird shot from a distance can really upset a wild hog.

Advantages to recoil reduction. Less pain, Less flinching when firing, quicker target re-acquisition.

Disadvantages to recoil reduction. Shooting a gun that doesn't have it and being accustomed to shooting one that does.

On #00 buckshot, the number of pellets, the less pellets generally have a higher muzzle velocity and fly more strait to the target but a close grouping has less impact over all. Generally the more pellets you try to push through the barrel, the slower the muzzle velocity is going to be and more felt recoil.

I absolutely agree with all the above comments.

For practice with your wife, set up targets within 15-yards and just use 1-oz or 1-1/8-oz birdshot loads that are far less costly compared to even the cheapest buckshot loads that are (quite frankly) pure crap and punish the shooter while patterning like, well.... crap.

When you can find it, get some reduced recoil 1-oz slugs that will help her build confidence that precision shooting is well within her ability.

Never, ever, ask her to shoot full-power 2-3/4" or (god forbid) 3" slug or buckshot loads until she formally asks to do it. That is just plain crazy.

And lastly, make sure you encourage your wife to shoot standing with her trigger arm elbow held high and 70/30 weight on her weak-side foot. Please don't allow her to shoot sitting at a table with her hunched forward and nowhere for her upper body to follow the recoil backwards. It's pure hell on collarbones and that translates to pain.

Oh, and keep the magazine tube as full as possible while getting her started. That extra weight helps dampen recoil. If you take an empty pump gun and throw a single shell in it you have a lighter weight gun which makes for more noticeable recoil.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im not letting her shot 3" shells, thats just for me. Im really consediring a limbsaver for my ati talon stock. i know that birdshot is alot easier but majority of the indoor ranges don't allow to shot bird shot. There is only one and you have to buy the ammo from them.

I haven't fully loaded the tube with shells since she only shoots one or 2 slugs. My wife is very sensitive to pain even with handguns which doesn't help with the situation. She really doesn't the mossy at this moment and hasn't even pulled out of the safe when Im not around because of work. She loves my glock 19 and ruger p89 which I can understand she will choose those.

I will try some of your suggestions including the libsaver next time I go to the range. I might just take her to the range that I can at least use bird shot.

The hornandy shells I got are TAP 2 3/4". I dont see any magnum marking on it but i will try them next time.

I know tnxshooter installed a limbsaver on its ati talon stock which is the same i got. He hasn't replied back with a part number.

When I started my wife shooting my pump I started her off on low brass birdshot, very light recoil. When she got comfortable shooting that load I moved her up to the Winchester Winlite (WL1200) 00 buckshot. This is Winchester reduced recoil load, a low brass, reduced noise , 9 pellet, 00 buck moving at 1125 fps. She is very steady shooting this load and pritty good also.

Jayta98 said:
Hi guys. I'm testing different types of shells since i only owned my mossy 500 for 6 months. I have tried Remington slugs and 3" 00 bucks, Federal hydra shok 00 buck, Win PDX1 slug/00 buck and Fiochi low recoil slug. I have an Ati Talon adjustable stock with pistol grip. I'm trying to find a good shell that does kick alot so my wife can practice and enjoy the shotgun. Im got some Hornandy TAP shells that im going to try out.

I'm thinking on maybe upgrade the pad to a limbsaver but I'm not sure if it will make a big difference. Don't get me wrong I know is a shotgun and it going to hurt some but i'm just trying to make it more comfortable on her so she can practice with it at the range. Any other suggested shells? Thanks.

If your wanting a low recoil buck that does not kick much fiocchi makes a 00 low recoil buck. I bought fiocchi cuz it was dirt cheap at cheaper than dirt. I think i got like 200 rounds for about 100 dollars.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Jayta98 said:
I know tnxshooter installed a limbsaver on its ati talon stock which is the same i got. He hasn't replied back with a part number.

I believe it is 10019 model number.

tnxdshooter said:
I bought fiocchi cuz it was dirt cheap at cheaper than dirt.

I like the "dirt cheap at cheaper than dirt!" :D

I think I said before, my daughter loves 12 ga low recoil 00 buck, and recently started shooting WinLite slugs too. She isnt at all recoil sensitive though and as long as she is wearing headphones, shes cool with the noise. Though honestly, we've used bird and target loads that are louder and hit harder than the low recoil stuff I have.

Jayta98 said:

I am selling my ati talon as it made no reduction in recoil compared to the knoxx stock.

Rossignol said:
tnxdshooter said:
I bought fiocchi cuz it was dirt cheap at cheaper than dirt.

I like the "dirt cheap at cheaper than dirt!" :D

I think I said before, my daughter loves 12 ga low recoil 00 buck, and recently started shooting WinLite slugs too. She isnt at all recoil sensitive though and as long as she is wearing headphones, shes cool with the noise. Though honestly, we've used bird and target loads that are louder and hit harder than the low recoil stuff I have.

The birdshot and target loads i bought at walmarts kicked harder than the low recoil buck.

tnxdshooter said:
The birdshot and target loads i bought at walmarts kicked harder than the low recoil buck.

Shure, because they were probably the same weight in oz of shot just in a different size, 00B vs 7.5

And the birdshot was probably rated at 1250 or 1300 fps and the LR 00B was 1150 or 1200 fps.

megawatt said:
tnxdshooter said:

Shure, because they were probably the same weight in oz of shot just in a different size, 00B vs 7.5

And the birdshot was probably rated at 1250 or 1300 fps and the LR 00B was 1150 or 1200 fps.

yup

It is certainly a trade off on weight of the gun. The heavier the gun the less felt recoil. If you ever have the chance to use a recoil reducing stock vs. a regular stock on like guns and like ammunition, you will never want to go back to the regular stock. My Maverick is pretty much stripped these days with the exception of the scope. I would much rather take my heavy a$$ 835 with major bling out to shoot at targets and when hog hunting. I don't worry about firing 3 inch and 3-1/2 inch shells. I don't keep any low recoil ammunition now.

Back