• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M590A1 Tube Capacity

Salberg

.22LR
And now for my SECOND post (that counts my Howdy post): I have a new above mentioned 590. All the lit Ive read says it is capable of 8 3"ers in the tube. Well I'm fair to crappy at math but I could only get it to eat 7 :eek: 2 3/4" 00 Bucks. I called Mecca (Mossgerg) and they suggested removing the wooden dowel from the tube, which it couldn't have and that only applies to 6 shot shotguns. Had one in my 6 shot 500. OK then, try to measure the shells well 4 x 2 3/4" = 11" (stacked 4 shells on top of each other) so 8 would be 22". Now with a 20" barrel how the hey can 8 2 3/4" shells fit? Forget the 3"ers. Any explanation/help would be gratefully received. The barrel is out for the 'ol Vang comp treatment so I'm in no rush. Think I should send it back to Mossberg? I'm a lousy shot and may need that other shell.

Magazines and tubes can be really hard to load to capacity. I only own a 5 shot mag 590a1, but I'd never expect to get 8 three inchers in a 20 incher...

Sometimes, if you really feel a need to have it loaded to capacity, cutting the spring down, a teeny bit at a time can get you there. Of course the trick is having it short enough to fit the max, but having it long enough to feed the last :shock:

blue said:
Magazines and tubes can be really hard to load to capacity. I only own a 5 shot mag 590a1, but I'd never expect to get 8 three inchers in a 20 incher...

Sometimes, if you really feel a need to have it loaded to capacity, cutting the spring down, a teeny bit at a time can get you there. Of course the trick is having it short enough to fit the max, but having it long enough to feed the last :shock:

Dear Mr. Blue,

Thank you for your response.

That is the point. I don't expect to get 8 lbs of mud into a 7 lb bag. My confusion is what is in my hand is not what's in the ad. If it's 7 it's 7 but it is touted as 8 3" shell capacity and I was using 2 3/4" shells so that would be 2" under capacity. As far as shell count goes, a Vang velcro side saddle is a fine remedy. And for cutting the spring down, could that lead to FTF problems later on?

Salberg said:
Dear Mr. Blue,

Thank you for your response.

That is the point. I don't expect to get 8 lbs of mud into a 7 lb bag. My confusion is what is in my hand is not what's in the ad. If it's 7 it's 7 but it is touted as 8 3" shell capacity and I was using 2 3/4" shells so that would be 2" under capacity. As far as shell count goes, a Vang velcro side saddle is a fine remedy. And for cutting the spring down, could that lead to FTF problems later on?

Fine tuning a spring is nothing new for maximum performance in firearms. But I agree with you completely. It should do what it's supposed to do out of the box. Remember, the spring doesn't go away when it's compressed, it take up space. A shorter spring takes up less space. It would be very possible to have a too long spring in your gun. If you have great tension on your last shell, you can spare an inch of the spring. If it still has great tension, maybe another half inch off. Repeat as long as you're comfortable. Most folks who add a +2 magazine extension have to cut the supplied spring. It's in the instructions you get with the mag extension. They give you a starting point, and you go from there. Yes if you cut it too short it could FTF the last shell. That's why you go slow, and don't do it in one sitting.

As to the 8 three inch shells, I have to be honest, I've never seen shell size specified. I'm not saying it isn't somewhere, just that I've only seen "6 shot" and "9 shot" listed. But the most commonly seen loads for LE and Military are 2 3/4. Assumptions are never a good thing, but I've always assumed they meant 2 3/4.

And the old retired Lieutenant Commander I worked with once referred to someone as a Blivet. I asked "What's a Blivet". He responded "5 pounds of crap in a 4 pound bag" :lol:

I can tell you the capacity advertised is based on 2 3/4" shells and not 3". By doin the math, logially, there is no way eight 3" shells will fit. I dont know if eight 2 3/4" shells will fit. BUT! Shell length is based on the length after firing. A 2 3/4" shell is closer to 2 1/2" before firing.

So as long as the spring is correct (and I have yet to hear of a 590A1 spring being too long) eight x 2.5 = 20.

Let us know what you come up with!

Where are you reading it should hold 8 ea 3"ers? The mossy site and manual is the only lit you should be comparing to.

Looking at the mossy website for 20" barreled 590A1 - You may be confusing the listing of "cal" as 3" shells (it is capable of up to 3" shells) and "capacity" of 9 (8 magazine +1 chamber), but nowhere does it specifically say the gun is capable of holding 8ea 3"shells in the magazine.

megawatt said:
Where are you reading it should hold 8 ea 3"ers? The mossy site and manual is the only lit you should be comparing to.

Looking at the mossy website for 20" barreled 590A1 - You may be confusing the listing of "cal" as 3" shells (it is capable of up to 3" shells) and "capacity" of 9 (8 magazine +1 chamber), but nowhere does it specifically say the gun is capable of holding 8ea 3"shells in the magazine.

I think you hit it. The shells I was loading were Rio brand and were imprinted 2 3/4" and measured the same unfired. I had no idea that shells were measured after expansion. So would you consider these Rio's 2 3/4" or 3 :?: As far as where I got my assumption about the 8+1 load thing, please refer to the link below. Under capacity I see 3" 8+1. Well, my error. I thought since this was a military issue (hope I'm not wrong here too) that the barrel length was not the tube length as well. I hope I didn't sound like I was trashing Mossberg as I am a real fan of their guns. Any thoughts on sending the barrel out for The Vang Comp choke treatment?

Before I sign off Thanks for all the kind non condescending replies. I'm really glad I joined this forum, I know speck more today than yesterday, hope tomorrow goes as well.

[urlhttp://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=305706&item=50771&instock=all&manufact_combo=None&mod_ser_combo=590A1&category_combo=None&model=590A1&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=None&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=][/url]

Salberg - we are all still learning on this site everyday, welcome new member.

That "after fired" length throws most people. There are so many post about people saying they can't load the advertised capacity in a magazine when they load brand "X" type 2-3/4" shells. Just remember not all 2-3/4 inch "unfired" shells are the same length to start with. RIO is the biggest problem because they are about the longest made 2-3/4" shell on the market and they are usually the least expensive. I like RIO because it lets me shoot all day for less $$, I think its great training ammo and since everyone likes to shoot we always purchase the least expensive then do not like our guns when we can't load to full advertised capacity. Other shell manufactures sometimes get away from the longer length by loading only 8 projectiles in a 00B 2-3/4" instead of the normal 9 projectiles.

The RIO's you have are 2-3/4" and not 3 inchers. When you fire a true magnum 3" shell your shoulder will know the difference.

Vang makes a great product but I would say go shoot your gun for aoubt 600 rounds before wanting to change anything. If you just want to spend the $$ on super cool quality stuff then that is ok too. I am guilty of that over and over with many of my toys.

Dear Mega,

Just noticed your from my favorite town, though I'm not a "donator" when I go. I see shows, rent super cool cars from Rent A Vet and come home with pictures, smiles and memories. Talk about being a classy guy, I got married (for the absolute LAST time!!!) at the Little White Chapel on North L/V Blvd in the front seat of a (Then) new 350 Z convertible. Now THAT's a story, which I won't bore you with, but it's funny as hell.

Now that you mention it I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with add ons. Also learning things are not always as they seam in the world of fire arms. The Vang thing came to mind after I was watching some u tube about pellet grouping\patterns and personal liability. I'm not L/E but have a store and family in a not so hot North Eastern City. I'm not looking to hurt anyone but I'll be damned if I'll be a defenceless victem.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to the time when I can contribute some valid information. ;)

I always thought of the 350Z as having the body poured on, the way the body lines flow smoothly over the wheels. The A1 is going to last you forever, the gun is built like a tank. When you find nice performing ammo groupings then share some pics.

Cheers from where the bars NEVER close.

Good insight Megawatt on the shell lengths!

Sal, I agree with Megawatts point about shooting and then deciding on stuff to add on there, Uhhh... I too though have bought stuff to add cuz it was cool and I wanted it! :D

Sorta on topic, here are a couple links to other threads you may like!

Ammunition Performance Reviews

and this one under Product Reviews;
Vang Comp, Mossberg

Hope you find it useful!

Back