• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M7 or M9 bayonet

Mudbug

Seriously, if it comes down an engagement with a bayonet, one is in deep trouble. However, I still want to purchase one for my M590A1, just to complete the package. I see pictures of the M7 fixed and they appear to show it slanted upward and read other accounts of the M9 not properly seating on the mount. Any suggestions?

I had an M9 for my AR and wanted to use it on an m590a1 but I couldn't find an a1 soon enough, I will say that The SPX comes with an M9, I will need to check it what an M7 is all about.
Sorry if it's not the info you were looking for.

Mudbug, I have the 590A1 SPX that came with the M9 bayonet and it fits rather loosely, shakes and rattles but has never came off. I have not fired a shot with it attached so I don't know if it will come off or not. It fits even worst on my AR-15, I don't know much about bayonets but if I had to buy the M9 out of pocket for my 590A1 I'd take it back for a refund, but it just may be that build tolerance was off on both weapon and bayonet.

Thanx for the input, guys. I think I will call my local tact gun shop and ask if I can bring it in for a fit test.

I have not seen a tight fitting bayonet on anything other than a Mosin Nagant.

Even the Bayonet on my Garand wiggles a little

M9's are made by Ontario, Lan Kay, Phrobis and Smith & Wesson.
Bought an M9 made by Ontario. It clips on easily but wiggles and rattles.
Bought 3- Phrobis M9's and they are vastly superior in quality and design. They clip on tighter and stay PUT! No rattle or wiggle with any of them.
I'm keeping 1 Phrobis, selling the others.

The M7 was really designed more for it's intended purpose... i.e being a sharp, pointy dagger at the end of your weapon. The M9 lends itself better as an all purpose knife that happens to also be your bayonet. I personally like the M9 better for that reason and therefore went with that choice. I have heard that some M9 won't fit because of the handle material being to think around the magazine end cap... mine fit just fine :D

I have many weapons that would accommodate a bayonet.

Though the only one that I actually have a bayonet for is the old SKS, and that's only because it came on the gun and it's all factory original and correct. I have no desire to remove it.

And between stabbing at someone with a pointy knife tip, you get one chance to hit what you're aiming at as you thrust it toward (and hopefully into) part of their vitals if they can't deflect or flinch or dodge it.

The weapon is much more effective being swung around and used as a club than stabbing someone with it. At least swinging that thing around, you could break bones and inflict a lot of pain or kill them with blunt force trauma.

As an example, have someone stand still while you stab at them in the chest with a tv remote control, and the second part of the experiment, ask them to stand still as you walk into the room swinging a broom at them while chasing them around the room.

Which is more effective?

Fighting styles as a whole have changed a lot where hand to hand fighting in very large numbers and close proximity is increasingly unusual.

Opposing forces don't line up and march straight into each other anymore like they did in the Revolutionary and Civil War.

But if you're down to no ammo and using it as a club or bayonet, you better hope your enemy is in the same bad predicament, because otherwise you're number is probably up.

aksavanaman said:
You guys are forgetting zombies... You NEED a bayonet for that :lol:

Now I'm confused. Every Zombie movie I've ever seen the hero/heroine used one of these, which is why I keep mine handy. Now you're telling me to get bayonet? ;)

samurai.jpg

pistol_bayonet.jpg

Don't forget a sidearm bayonet. You keep a pistol on your hip handy as a backup weapon, might as well have a backup for your pig sticker too in case it fails right? Lol :D

VitSports6 said:
I have not seen a tight fitting bayonet on anything other than a Mosin Nagant.

Even the Bayonet on my Garand wiggles a little

Also, at over 48 inches for the Mosin Nagant rifle and 17 for the accompanying spike that combo provides you approx 65 inches of reach out and poke something. Kinda impressive. :D

blacksmith said:
M7 or M9 Bayonet?

Oh boy, thats an easy one!

The right answer is OKC-3S!

Well... Your gonna have to grind the Handel to make it work with the 590 magazine cap ;)

But it is the best all around performer out of the three.

Back