• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag Spring Question

Hi all! First post and new to your fine forum. I just bought a 930 SPX 8-shot yesterday and have been reading as much as I can here. Lots of good info. I'm seeing alot of talk about binding mag springs / followers. I've been down that same road with a couple of 870's and all was solved with a Wolff XP spring.

Question: I have an unused Wilson Combat XP sping for an 870 laying around. Pretty sure it's a Wolff. It is 29-1/4" long and both ends have a very slight taper. Is this spring compatable with the 930?

Sorry if this is a noob question or has already been covered...

Hammer

SeaScout

Welcome aboard!
Should be just fine. I run my SPX with a 28" Wolff spring and a Wilson's 870 Rem follower and it is butter. Fixed everything. Some guys stand by their original followers but I hate them. That sharp shoulder is a malfunction waiting to happen. Fine at home or the range, but get a ding on you mag tube, build up of carbon fouling, mud, ice crud etc. and there is bad news headed your way.
Cheers...

Welcome Hammerhead. First off, can you load 7, 2 3/4" rounds in the magazine? Usually the spring problem is that it is too long and will not allow all seven shells. Or, the magazine tube where it meets the magazine tube extension is bent or snags the spring somehow causing a failure to feed.

Lastly, do a search at the top on the 930 magazine spring and see what pops up. There are several threads that discuss the length that seems to be the most efficient. If it is too long some people cut it down a little at a time until the problems disappear. But I certainly wouldn't throw it away or change it just because of something you've read here or somewhere else. Since it is a new gun, if you can't load seven shells plus one in the mag, and cycle all rounds through, then look at the tube, feeder and spring. If you find a defect, contact Mossberg and I'm sure they will fix you up. Good luck. Have a great day.

Paul

First, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

So far I have torn her down and given a good cleaning and lubrication. Pretty gunky in there...
Tube extension is straight w/ no burrs. Polished interior with 000 steel wool and then light Rem-oiled.

Using 12 ga. snap caps:

Stock spring and follower would take all 7 with no problem.

Replaced stock spring with 29-1/4" Wilson XP spring / S&J Delrin follower for 870.
Would take 6, but number 7 was close and could be forced in. Cut about 1/4" off the "stem".
This set up will now take all 7 easily.

No hangs or snags so far. Whoot!

Man, I'm itching to get to the range and start breaking this baby in!!!

Back