• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag tube removal ?

dogfoot

I bought a different follower for my Shockwave and having trouble removing the magazine tube from the receiver. I put a strap wrench on it and it still won’t budge.
Anyone have any tricks?

Thanks - Dog

Dont use brute force ! you might damage it ! Its is probably Loctited..

Use heat a gun.. heat tube end at the receiver.. be careful.. use hand force and unscrew it

Guess I'm confused why your trying to remove the magazine tube. If you're simply replacing the follower and spring all you need to do is remove the magazine cap that holds the barrel in place and pry out the keeper that holds the spring and follower. Really no need to replacd the keeper once removed.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Regards

Ernst, I didn’t know if it was possible to remove the little keeper without messing anything up. Is it tough to get it out, or will it pop out easily? The top edge of the tube looks very thin.

Dog

Dog, just take a common screwdriver and a folded rag. Place rag over the tube end to protect the threads and simply pry out the keeper. As soon as the keeper is removed the magazine spring will pop out. Just pull it out and point the magazine tube down and the follower will fall out.

Recommend that while you have it out clean the magazine tube and lubricate the spring before reinstalling. Like I said earlier no reason to reinstall the keeper. Simply reinstall the barrel and push the spring in while installing the screw cap. Simple proceedure. Plus facilitates recurring maintenance.

Good luck!

Regards

OK, now I know the easy way. It took me maybe three minutes to change out and one was spent looking for my needle nose pliers.
Thanks for all the helpful information.

Dog

Back