• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine cap detent ball went bye bye...

Well, hmmmm in one of your earlier posts it said your mag spring assembly supplied pressure to the cap. My spring assembly doesn’t touch the cap in any way. The cap just unscrews to allow barrel removal. Are you missing more parts than the detention ball?IMG_3503.jpeg

Well, hmmmm in one of your earlier posts it said your mag spring assembly supplied pressure to the cap. My spring assembly doesn’t touch the cap in any way. The cap just unscrews to allow barrel removal. Are you missing more parts than the detention ball?View attachment 29954

No, I have never seen a mag tube like that before lol. The 590's are completely open, Both sides of the mag tube are identical. Once you take the cap off you can pull the spring and follower for cleaning without removing the tube.

Both ends look like this, just a hollow tube with the same threads on each end. So when you put the cap on you have to press the magazine spring down.

l_631000021_3.jpg

PXL_20231010_183831255.MP.jpg

Last edited:
No, I have never seen a mag tube like that before lol. The 590's are completely open, Both sides of the mag tube are identical. Once you take the cap off you can pull the spring and follower for cleaning without removing the tube.

Both ends look like this, just a hollow tube with the same threads on each end. So when you put the cap on you have to press the magazine spring down.

View attachment 29955

View attachment 29956
Wow. My shockwave is a 590 and I would have to pry that plug out of the end or remove the shell follower like I did when I put in the mini shell adapter. Lol a different day, a different combination of parts..

Wow. My shockwave is a 590 and I would have to pry that plug out of the end or remove the shell follower like I did when I put in the mini shell adapter. Lol a different day, a different combination of parts..

Yea I thought they were the same because obviously you can't add a magazine extension unless the tube is open. I thought the shockwave 590's were identical to the full size 590's in every way except the grip and short barrel. Learned something new lol. I honestly don't know why they would plug the end of the tube like that on the shockwave?

I understand the point on the 500's cause they were mainly for hunting so having the mag tube sealed off is more friendly to game wardens since it's harder for someone to cheat and take the duck plug in and out in a hurry. Haven't seen many people duck hunting with shockwaves lol. Though I would pay money to see that...

Last edited:
Basically this topic has done nothing but make me realize one of two things...

Mossberg has mandatory company wide margarita Mondays...

Or the assembly line is run by a mad man...

giphy.gif

From what I have read the mag spring retainer is only on the 590A1.???

590.jpg

Trying to stay serious about this lol

What actually keeps that whoozits in the mag tube? Based on the pics it seems you can just pry it out? And what purpose does it serve anyway?

My real 590a1 was bought used so it's possible that thing was removed by a previous owner. My other 590 "thing" was built from dead robot corpses so that was probably lost in the great reprogramming. But even in my Internet sleuthing I have never seen that dang gizmo!

It’s kinda like a cir clip thingie. It only holds the spring in, so you don’t have to guide it back in every time the barrel comes off. I assume that the mag has a slight lip around the inside like you get with any pipe cutter.IMG_3508.png

Last edited:
The magazine spring retainer stays in well enough using circumferential tension on the mag tube. It’s there so that when you disassemble the gun for cleaning you don’t have to deal with the magazine spring.

Last edited:
Back