• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Making the MarkII Hot Glue Slugs

part
I was asked about Hot glue slugs.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER!!
This is for information only

Mark II drilling out the crimp (450 x 600).jpg
Start with drilling out the crimp with a 5/8" hole saw. This keeps the rolled lip holding the wad and maintaining it like it came out of the box.Pour the shot out for reuse later, I usually work on batches of 100 when doing this step placing the hulls in large resealable plastic coffee tubs. The tubs I use hold around 75 hulls easily.
NOTE : my drill press has a slight wobble that i haven't been able to get rid of and makes a lightly ragged cut on the shells affects appearances only.

Mark II glue gun and weight cup (668 x 763).jpg
Drilled hull with shot cup and hot glue gun. I first determined a good fill volume and then measured the shot to come up with a shot weight of 0.900 ounce (I used ounces since Federal used ounces for theirs, 1 1/8oz. for example)

Mark II  scales (612 x 816).jpg
Scale set for weight

Setting tare
Marrk II tare (808 x 1077) (450 x 600).jpg
I NEVER could get exactly 0.900oz.
These are the weights light and heavy

Mark II shot weight light (816 x 612).jpg Mark II shot weight heavy (808 x 1077).jpg

Mark II shot weighed out and in shells (808 x 1077).jpg
Shot weighed out and in hulls.For me it was easier to keep the shot for each one in the hull until time to start the gluing process working in batches of 25

Mark II glue in bottm of shot shell (808 x 1077).jpg
After transferring shot back to cup and rechecking shot weight placing hot glue in the bottom of hull.

Mark II tamping the shot into glue (612 x 816).jpg
Tamping the shot into the hot glue.The tamp is a piece of dowel thinned down on one end and has a twofold purpose: one in packing the loads and the other is sizing the hull.
I would recommend wetting the tamping end SLIGHTLY to help prevent the hot glue sticking to it.

Mark II all the shot is in and tamped (808 x 1077).jpg
All the shot and glue is in and tamped. Don't know how well it can seen,there is a little space between the head of the shot and the roll of the crimp. That slight wobble of the drill press again.
continued in partII

I haven't shot many of the Mark IIs, but I and my group have shot 300+rds. of the Mark I (which are volume filled only,with the whole crimp cut off)
The Mark I perform pretty well,the Mark II is my attempt to get some of the variables out of way without completely loading my own.
I hope in the near future to have the equipment to reload/load shells and want to try my hand a casting Foster type slugs. ;)

At the range(indoor)separated by 5 lanes you could see the Mark I in flight. My friends were pumping the snot out of their 500s, sending a lot of the slugs downrange. From the side view we had it was for me a "wow" moment to see how flat the trajectory was/is on those 1200+fps round,(I'm thinking that the white wad and fluorescent lighting interacting) because I had in my pea brain that shot guns lobbed their rounds. I mean there was a LITTLE arc, but from our angle it was like a star wars scene! We both have short barrels (18.5&19") and were quick to realize that we are going to need better sights or optics for use with these types of rounds.
TJ

Back