• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav 88 20ga, 26" barrel

I have looked at this model, and it actually seems to be a pretty good shotgun for it's price point. By looking, I mean reviews here and there. What do you shotgunners think of this model? If I was to buy one of these, it would be used for dove, quail for the most part. Opinion's would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I have one and think it is great. Swapped the barrel from an 18.5 inch 500 (I prefer the safety location on the 88 to the 500). Take care. Tom Worthington

Well, it looks like my search is over. A local SGS has the Mossberg 500 on sale. 12 or 20ga, field barrel[28" or 26"] plus a 18.5" barrel. Synthetic stock. I'll look at it after work tomorrow, if all is good, I'll buy it.

Either are good choices.

The Mav has a little different way to attach the forend, which isn't very aftermarket friendly, but otherwise, they're mostly the same gun (with the exception of the crossbolt safety as Tom396 has pointed out.)

Bought the 20ga. I believe this is going to be a very good gun for dove and quail. Might take a little getting used to the syn stock, but, what the hay! Still waiting on the 500 Field 12ga to get in. My wants are over[for now].
Pictures when I get 'em.

No Maverick. Was able to get the Mossberg 500 20 ga. with a spare 18.5" barrel. Looks to be a pretty good shotgun. Wasn't expecting this, but, wife saw it on sale and said I should go get it. So, I did. Kind of a early retirement gift. Four more months!

Back