• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 46B-b extractors

Codel

Copper BB
Hi all...I uncovered a 46B-b in my garage that was my wife's father's rifle. It has seen better days, having been left untouched since at least his death in 1998, probably longer. I'm working on restoring it for my step-son's 14th birthday next month. The problem is I can't tell what all is missing. I know the front sight hood (has the little flip-tang front sight) and parts of the rear sight. The peep sight (S130), luckily, is fully intact and in super sound shape, just grimy and missing a mount screw.

The stock has some water damage on the butt but I can refinish that all ok. Since it isn't a super collectible item and needs to stay in the family, anyway, (her father was super dear to her and her son--the recipient--was named after him) I'm having my sister custom-carve the stock to personalize it and memorialize his grandfather.

All the action seems smooth, although grimy, and I can find some of the missing parts but I am mainly concerned about the extractor fingers...I can't tell what they are supposed to look like or whether these are damaged. They aren't symetrical in any fashion--one bends in a strange fashion--and I can't find any good pictures of them. Does anyone have a photo they can post or send me of the bolt assembly so I can see what these are supposed to look like in working shape? I've found them around (replacements) but not good photos I can compare and I don't want to spend the 25-30 extra bucks if these are ok. I also didn't want to test it until I could inspect it all the way down--the barrell needs to be cleaned up real good before I test it so it is dismantled for cleaning and restoration already. Call me stupid or lazy, but now that I'm getting it cleaned I don't want to have to clean it and degrease it all over again before bluing.

Any ideas? Granted, they are an easy replacement if I get it all together and find they are binding up or not grabbing but I want this to be in super order for his birthday and "first shot" once it is ready to go.

I am not able to offer much help but I would recommend contacting www.HavlinSales.com and keeping us updated so we can better help members in the future. I look forward to hearing your progress.

Back