• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

SCC,
Have you checked the mag ext tube for the load / unload and inconsistent fully loaded 7 or 6 round capacity problem? Mine screws on fairly straight when tightened down but is attached really crooked to it's magazine cap. I can see it wobble as I screw it down to tighten it. or stand it up vertically on a table and rotate it around to see if it wobbles around on the upper end. See my post... " New user. New 930 SPX. Old problems. Help? "

Re: New user. New 930 SPX. Old problems. Help?

megawatt said:
A couple weeks ago when my spring was new it was 34.5" and functioned great. When I get home I want to remeasure to see if it has changed with about 400 shells of use now.
Sorry but don't quite understand the comment? My spring is pretty close to 35.5" Never been shot yet. I can't even load or unload 1 round most of the time. It seems to be related to the crooked extension tube causing a bind. I can take my finger and push the follower up into the tube as far as I can and jiggle it around a bit and then usually get a round to load when one doesn't want to initially. Similar to what SoCalChoppas is experiencing. ( but my elevator arm doesn't click like his does as he seems to have the loose FCG as well as a bent or crooked mag ext misaligned follower)

You quoted the following "....and the final one can be diagnosed by looking at the spring. If it is something like 30" or longer, it is too long and needs to be trimmed. This has put too much spring pressure on the shell latches, and the first round of a fully loaded mag tube will not release."

This is what my post was referring to. I was going to measure the used length to see if it has changed from the brand new out of the box length.

seven said:
SCC,
Have you checked the mag ext tube for the load / unload and inconsistent fully loaded 7 or 6 round capacity problem? Mine screws on fairly straight when tightened down but is attached really crooked to it's magazine cap. I can see it wobble as I screw it down to tighten it. or stand it up vertically on a table and rotate it around to see if it wobbles around on the upper end. See my post... " New user. New 930 SPX. Old problems. Help? "

It's consistent in what it will accept as 6+1 and 7+1 in 2-3/4" ammo. I'm pretty certain, the spring is too long, but I'm not cutting the factory spring..Mossberg can do it when they get it back. The Magazine tube extension is straight on mine and has no burrs or lip to catch the spring.

I'll see if I can fully compress the spring and check it's compressed length, plus mag follower to confirm my theory of a too long spring.

megawatt said:
You quoted the following "....and the final one can be diagnosed by looking at the spring. If it is something like 30" or longer, it is too long and needs to be trimmed. This has put too much spring pressure on the shell latches, and the first round of a fully loaded mag tube will not release."

This is what my post was referring to. I was going to measure the used length to see if it has changed from the brand new out of the box length.

Thanks MW! Makes sense now. Do you know what Choate or Nordic Components or other makers recommend for spring length on their +2 mag extension kits? I'll look and see if I can find the info... I seem to remember they are pretty inexact on where they recommend the length be cut at.. But I have the brass like looking spring and not blue or other color, so there could be several different optimal lengths, compression strengths thrown into the mix by Mossberg now as well. Someone else here was saying that the 35" length was correct and to not cut it...

See this post here as well... SCC is thinking spring length as well...http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2202&start=25

SoCal Choppas said:
seven said:
SCC,

It's consistent in what it will accept as 6+1 and 7+1 in 2-3/4" ammo. I'm pretty certain, the spring is too long, but I'm not cutting the factory spring..Mossberg can do it when they get it back. The Magazine tube extension is straight on mine and has no burrs or lip to catch the spring.

I'll see if I can fully compress the spring and check it's compressed length, plus mag follower to confirm my theory of a too long spring.

User megawatt seems to be thinking similar on the spring...http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2240&p=24032#p24032

here's what i asked him as well...
Thanks MW! Makes sense now. Do you know what Choate or Nordic Components or other makers recommend for spring length on their +2 mag extension kits? I'll look and see if I can find the info... I seem to remember they are pretty inexact on where they recommend the length be cut at.. But I have the brass like looking spring and not blue or other color, so there could be several different optimal lengths, compression strengths thrown into the mix by Mossberg now as well. Someone else here was saying that the 35" length was correct and to not cut it...

SoCal. Great info and effort with the vids and pics. Thank you so much.

I probably will get a 40" Wolff Extended Magazine spring as a back up. Start cutting off a 1/4" at a time, until I get 7 +1 on the slug/00buck ammo I use most and probably do this at the range to test it's functional too. For $6.59...I wouldn't care if I screwed up. Wolff Springs has a pretty good reputation out there.

See bottom listing

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=4&mID=137

or get one for a 500/590

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=103

Searched around a bit but didn't really find the answer I was after. I'll see if Choate will answer email. Question is after I got to thinking about it... the magazine tube spring seems awfully long doesn't it? I mean I was surprised it was so long when I first took it down but got sidetracked on my crooked extension. I thought rule of thumb was 8-15 inches longer than your tube. Mine is 22-23 inches longer. Took off the extension tube, put in a shorter spring off another gun along with it's screw cap and I no longer have the loading / unloading problems. I'm wondering if these long springs are even the right ones for this model gun or if Mossberg forgot to trim them down to fit properly. I already had to file and sand fit a couple of parts that I noticed after I broke it down. There was a pin in the trigger assembly that was in the wrong way and fell out when I took that off. I'm afraid to take the butt stock off to see what else is not put on correctly. Mine is stamped as assembled last month on the box so I would say no QA has yet to get to an acceptable level.

Oops, 17 Sept I measured the new length and it was 35.5" and not 34.5" I posted above. http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2118

Checked last night and my spring went from 35.5" to 35.0" after approx 400 shells of use in a couple weeks of ownership. I was never concerned about the length as the SPX has always functioned and the magazine capacity holds 7ea. It does load up easier now that I have broken the gun with use.

When you say
seven said:
...eject two at a time and etc...
I am guessing your talking about ejecting unfired shells thru the bottom (magazine loading port) of the gun and not thru the ejection port on the side of the gun?
It will unload more than one shell if you "hold" the bolt release down or keep finger pressure on the shell stop as the magazine spring is always pushing against the shells ready to eject them. This is normal and the gun is simply doing what your telling it to do. To unload a "single" shell you must quickly depress and release the bolt release button, this allows the shell stop to go back to normal position to hold the next shell in the magazine once the rim of the ammo is past the shell stop.

I don't know what the nordic or choate spring length is for the +2 mag. It really doesn't matter because spring quality and performance is not standardized in the firearms industry that all manufactures agree to use, they all use different steel's to make a spring, different wire gauge thickness, different coil per inch, etc and therefore have a different spring strengths and that makes for a various lengths to use in a magazine extension.

Hope you had time this weekend to go shoot your SPX and have fun with it.

The rear sight, not properly clamped to the rail is one culprit. Notice the right side, the rail is not set into the center of the "V" on the clamp. I think if it were properly set on the rail, there is going to be some space between the flat surface or the sight bracket and the rail. May be the difference in the rail between Picatinny and Weaver. If the clamp was centered on the rail with the rail well seated in the "V" of the clamp on each side, it would bring the sight ring closer to center.

Also noted a lot of metal shavings. Looks like it needs a good cleaning and some oil. You can't expect a firearm to be ready to fire right out of the box. Sometimes you might get one with a thick protectant that needs to be removed before use but most of the time it will come with little or no lubrication what so ever.

If it were mine, I might want to see if the Mossberg or the company where I bought it would make it right, but most likely, I would do some tweaking on it, debur it, use some scotch-brite to smooth up a few places, give it a thorough cleaning, lube it up and fire a lot of rounds. Then when I was really happy with how it works, give it another thorough cleaning, re-blue what needs to be re-blued, and go out and shoot it some more.

It seems odd that with my mag spring being 22.5 inches I'm having some of the same problems as the correct length springs are having. During manual ejects I can unload the first round no problem, the 2nd and 3rd rounds somtimes come out together with great force. I tried the method that MW suggested and I still have the same results, I ordered the SPX spring this past friday and when talking to c/s she said would send it out at no charge, so there must be a problem with the springs also???

Mind you that I took the HS model and turned it into the SPX using the standard SPX parts, my spring has a open end and a tapered closed end. I placed the closed tapered end at the top of the mag tube and gained a little more "wiggle room" that I didn't have before. For the SPX spring, does it has the same configuration or is it open on both ends.

My SPX spring is the same at both ends. Both ends are tapered down not open as if the spring was just cut.

Does everybody have the same spring configuration, I have a tapered end and a open end. I noticed that SoCal's spring has a open end on one side. I could not get a good look at the other end, MW said that his spring has two tapered ends. Is Mossberg dealing with different distributors making them the same parts or are they using the springs from the 590A1 SG for the SPX

nasa said:
The rear sight, not properly clamped to the rail is one culprit. Notice the right side, the rail is not set into the center of the "V" on the clamp. I think if it were properly set on the rail, there is going to be some space between the flat surface or the sight bracket and the rail. May be the difference in the rail between Picatinny and Weaver. If the clamp was centered on the rail with the rail well seated in the "V" of the clamp on each side, it would bring the sight ring closer to center.

Also noted a lot of metal shavings. Looks like it needs a good cleaning and some oil. You can't expect a firearm to be ready to fire right out of the box. Sometimes you might get one with a thick protectant that needs to be removed before use but most of the time it will come with little or no lubrication what so ever.

If it were mine, I might want to see if the Mossberg or the company where I bought it would make it right, but most likely, I would do some tweaking on it, debur it, use some scotch-brite to smooth up a few places, give it a thorough cleaning, lube it up and fire a lot of rounds. Then when I was really happy with how it works, give it another thorough cleaning, re-blue what needs to be re-blued, and go out and shoot it some more.

If you look closely at my rear sight picture again, you will notice the bottom of the sight and the top of the 1913 rail is perfectly paralleled. It wouldn't be parallel if the sight was not set right. What you are seeing is the uneven bevel they put on the right and left edge of the 1913 rail and the shadow of the lighting. It is confirmed on perfect. But if you look closely at the cuts on the top of the receiver and the bottom of the rail, the rail is slightly more to the left; but that would actually cause me to move the windage to the right and not left...so that means the front sight is that much more off.

The metal particles on the receiver you are seeing is brass from the shotgun ammo from the recent time at the range.

This shotgun isn't my first firearm, I always take a new firearm and in this case this shotgun out of the box, read the manual completely at least twice, study the exploded view drawings.

Then I dismantle the shotgun completely to clean out all the factory grease, cosmoline, oil, and metal/cardboard dust shavings/particles. Then I recoat everything with a combination of Militech/Breakfree and let it sit/soak for a few hours and then wipe off all the excess. With the trigger group, I also cleaned it out with a light, soft brush and then coated the assembly with a teflon dry lube.

My shotgun was spotless when I took it to the range for its break in run of mixed 2-3/4" ammo:

30-40 rounds of Fiocchi Low Recoil Slugs (Actual Tested Capacity 6+1)
20 rounds of Fiocchi Low Recoil 00 Buckshot (Actual Tested Capacity 7+1)
10-15 rounds of Remington 1oz Sluggers (Didn't check capacity, more concerned in sighting in)
maybe 60 rounds of Remington/Winchester Universal Target Birdshot ammo (Actual Tested Capacity 7+1)

first thing I noticed after shooting about 6 rounds of the slugs...POI was 6-8" off to the right and 2-3" high @ 50 yards. SPX resting on top of sandbags. I adjusted the front and rear sights until I was happy to get a consistent 4-5" Slug group @ 50 yards on bullseye, then is when I became annoyed the rear sight windage was almost maxed out to the left.

Then rest of the time was used shooting up the ammo...which I was very happy it cycled everything flawlessly and with the occasional rapid fire, full mag dumps.

After taking the SPX home from the range, I did a full dismantle again to clean/inspect for wear points; then is where I fully discovered the abnormal wear (Scoring and Ridge) on the Gas Piston area. This is when I started to do a search on the internet on SPX problems and found the first blog on SPX issues by m24shooter dating back to 2009.

This is when I also posted here and introduced myself and the SPX issues I found: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2089

Anycase...I cleaned up and lubed the SPX and adding extra lube to the wear points showing up.

On my 2nd time out to the Range with the SPX, used all the same brands ammo and added Winchester X-pert 1oz slugs to the mix, about 75 total rounds total used for the day. Near the end of the day, I used the Fiocchi Low Recoil 00Buck and they failed to cycle the SPX every shot; switched back to Remington Standard Clay/Target and Fiocchi Low Recoil Slugs and it performed normal again. Switched back to Fiocchi Low Recoil 00buck and same fail to cycle every shot. I figured it was due to the burr/gouge getting worse, because my first time out with the SPX...I shot more and had no issues.

Took my SPX home and started this blog...so all the pictures and videos taken for this blog is after my 2nd time out to the range. The video of me cleaning the shotgun was done quick to show the issues and reassembly for another member here. I am very a meticulous with my stuff, especially with my firearms...my Sig Sauer P226, I've had since 1988 and have over 8,000-9,000 rounds with only one FTE round (Re-manufactured Range Ammo Round).

In my opinion, having to "Tweak" a factory new product, to do what it should is unacceptable; it shows the product is inferior and company's pride/craftsmanship in providing a "finished" product. "Tweaking" a new product also gives the company reason not to provide warranty service, because you modified it from original specs.

If my SPX was used and out of warranty, sure I would do my own "Tweaks and Mods", but not for a new $600-740 shotgun.

Not sure if all store policies in California are the same, but once you paid and leave with the firearm..it is on you, the buyer; for everything...no exchanges, refunds or returns. (Cancelled purchases incur a 25% restocking fee). Any issues with the product is to be taken care of by the manufacture.

I purchased this Brand/model shotgun based on it being 2009 NRA shotgun of the year and their review (Must have been hand pick and provided by the manufacture) and what I found on youtube. If I had found all the blogs that pertain to this model, I would never have purchased it. I probably would have gone with a Super Nova, 590A1 or 870 in a tactical shotgun and saved my coin for a different brand 12 gauge autoloader. For home defense, my Louisville slugger is more reliable and trusted then to rely on my SPX to feed and function when I need it most.

I am confident that Mossberg will fix the issues with my SPX, from everyone that I speak to or read about; they do stand behind their product.

How frustrating is that, to get factory part that is so inconsistent in specification.

Not so easy to pick out but the ends are tapered and coiled closed. The shadows kinda show the taper a little bit better.

e0f25746.jpg

My one end is like that what I'm calling the "open end" the other end goes to a very much smaller end I will take pictures and post them tomorrow.

+1 SoCal, I am the proud owner of one of these duds! They have known about these issues since 2009 by 2011 there is no excuse for these problems.

Back