• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Newby Question...

Good to hear yours is running right mine is still in the break in phase I'm assuming. Its only got about a box of shells through it but I still get some random ftf/fte. Then again I never really cleaned it real good either. Probably should try that.

Yeah, Kirk22287, give it a good cleaning & get all of the factory goop out. I didn't realize I had that much in there until I did a thorough cleaning & see if that helps your situation - it worked for me!

Re: 930 Bolt release removal

found an answer here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClT6QWQ93U[/youtube]

Later,
Chuck

It's Baaaaaaaack!!!!.....Well, I cleaned the 930 today, attempted to manually cycle the 4 in the mag with various ammo & the only thing that cycled one was the Winchester target load. Neither the Winchester or Remington buck would work. Kind of makes it hard to leave the 930 "cruzer ready" if it won't cycle from the mag. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

jbb: Have you tried trying to unload the magazine manually without chambering the rounds? Since the problem comes and goes it could be the follower hanging up in the magazine tube. My 930 has always fed reliably from day one with no issues.

Re: Is this normal?

Sorry for the delayed response but I unfortunately can not answer your question but hopefully others will be able to chime in. Did you end up sending it into Mossberg?

tgw, Yeah I can do it manually. However, some times on shell will come out at a time & other times the mag will spit our 2-3 shells. It still feeds well when firing though.

Conclusion to problem: I ended up sending the entire gun back to Mossberg, and they replaced the barrel. I can see now that the gas piston can easily be pulled out of the gas cylinder by hand, which was not the case before I sent it back. So, the 28" barrel I purchased while waiting for my SPX barrel to be replaced appears to have had a misaligned gas cylinder. The gun came back with both barrels, SPX and 28", two gas pistons, and everything working properly. It took a bit of patience, but Mossberg service was excellent. They definitely stood behind their product, I didn't pay for any shipping for either issue. Would definitely recommend Mossberg to friends and associates in the future.

Glad to hear Mossberg took care of your issues and we all appreciate you updating us on your situation.

Sometimes, some good WD-40 will do the trick. Lubricate the gas piston assembly as well as the feeding mechanism and you will be good to go for the most part. WD-40 is inexpensive and very effective. Yes, sometimes the low brass light loads do cause for the gun to misbehave. Maybe changing the brand and brass can help. Sometimes Black Cloud causes internal problems and after that, the 930 might not cycle anything else. Sometimes using 3 1/2in shells will ruin the cycling mechanism and then it won't eve take the 2 3/4in or 3in loads. But remember, WD-40 does your gun good! :)

Alright, registered here to see if anybody might be able to help as I haven't had any luck finding answers elsewhere. I swapped the stock safety out on my 930 SPX for a metal vang one and now it will fire with the safety engaged. This is with the bolt/bolt carrier and trigger group installed but the rest is disassembled. I have tried it with and without the plate that came with the original safety, with the original safety reinstalled, and with the safety block oriented in both directions that it will go in.

Looking inside of the receiver, I feel like I must be missing a part or something, though I have scoured my workbench to make sure that is not the case. Normally I am pretty good at visualizing how everything interacts and solving the problem on my own, but I can't make out how the safety works in the 930 as the block doesn't seem to do anything other than provide a place for the safety to screw in and I don't see anything else that would be interacting with the trigger group. I can't find any detailed pictures or diagrams of the safety system or inside of a 930 receiver online so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas I would be much obliged.

Not consistently loading to capacity !!!!!

We purchased 3 930's and although they cycle any ammo out there except for special purpose rounds ie bean bags, cs, .... It is inconsistent in it's ability to receive a full magazine capacity. We took them apart several times and adjusted the Choate extender several times. Them damn things just would not constantly take a full tube! So we looked on the blogs and found we are not the only ones. I contacted customer service at Mossberg and along with just being able to understand him through the accent he would not talk to me about the issue and just said to send the gun in. I relayed the info I had gathered from the net told him I was not the only one experiencing this problem and there must be something we can check like tolerances in diameter spring tension anything. His exact statement to me was "Sir this is the first i have heard of this problem" I at this point I told him that either he was not being truthful or he is lying to me. The conversation went on but the lack of his knowledge and being truthful was all I could stand. I like this gun from a shooting stand point and the reviews are obviously very positive but if they are going to treat customers like this and the gun will not reload reliably, I am going to take it back and get two 870's for the price I paid for one of the 930's. I bought it based off the reviews and wanting auto loaders to add to the existing shotguns. I don't want to be without the gun for their 4 weeks they say they need.

I also posted this on shotgun world. After reviewing this site I am now confident that the customer service rep was lying! Something that will turn me off to this product quicker than anything. I realize that it is one person representing the company which I understand ..........but the fact that he said he had never heard of this issue before just freaking chaps me.....it's all over these sites!!!
I really like these guns when they are working, at this point I can't depend on them to operate correctly.
Any suggestions on how to correct this issue or should I just take them back.

BadgerMan said:
Alright, registered here to see if anybody might be able to help as I haven't had any luck finding answers elsewhere. I swapped the stock safety out on my 930 SPX for a metal vang one and now it will fire with the safety engaged. This is with the bolt/bolt carrier and trigger group installed but the rest is disassembled. I have tried it with and without the plate that came with the original safety, with the original safety reinstalled, and with the safety block oriented in both directions that it will go in.

Looking inside of the receiver, I feel like I must be missing a part or something, though I have scoured my workbench to make sure that is not the case. Normally I am pretty good at visualizing how everything interacts and solving the problem on my own, but I can't make out how the safety works in the 930 as the block doesn't seem to do anything other than provide a place for the safety to screw in and I don't see anything else that would be interacting with the trigger group. I can't find any detailed pictures or diagrams of the safety system or inside of a 930 receiver online so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas I would be much obliged.

I will try and take pictures when I get some free time if no one else posts before me.

Re: Not consistently loading to capacity !!!!!

Remadl700 said:
We purchased 3 930's and although they cycle any ammo out there except for special purpose rounds ie bean bags, cs, .... It is inconsistent in it's ability to receive a full magazine capacity. We took them apart several times and adjusted the Choate extender several times. Them damn things just would not constantly take full tube! So we looked on the blogs and found we are not the only ones. I contacted customer service at Mossberg and along with just being able to understand him through the accent he would not talk to me about the issue and just said to send the gun in. I relayed the info I had gathered from the net told him I was not the only one experiencing this problem and there must be something we can check like tolerances in diameter spring tension anything. His exact statement to me was "Sir this is the first i have heard of this problem" I at this point told him that either he was not being truthful or he is lying to me. The conversation went on but the lack of his knowledge and being truthful was all I could stand. I like this gun from a shooting stand point and the reviews are obviously very positive but if they are going to treat customers like this and the gun will not reload reliably, I am going to take it back and get two 870's for the price I paid for one of the 930's. I bought it based off the reviews and wan
ting an auto loader to add to the existing shotguns. I don't want to be without the gun for their 4 weeks they say they need.

I also posted this on shotgun world. After reviewing this site I am now confident that the customer service rep was lying! Something that will turn me off to this product quicker than anything. I realize that it is one person representing the company which I understand ..........but the fact that he said he had never heard of this issue before just freaking chaps me.....it's all over these sites!!!
I really like these guns when they are working, at this point I can't depend on them to operate correctly.
Contact "edna" here on this site as she works for Mossberg and will get your issues resolved. Have you check the length of the magazine spring yet? Sometimes they come from the factory way to long.

DHonovich said:
Remadl700 said:
We purchased 3 930's and although they cycle any ammo out there except for special purpose rounds ie bean bags, cs, .... It is inconsistent in it's ability to receive a full magazine capacity. We took them apart several times and adjusted the Choate extender several times. Them damn things just would not constantly take full tube! So we looked on the blogs and found we are not the only ones. I contacted customer service at Mossberg and along with just being able to understand him through the accent he would not talk to me about the issue and just said to send the gun in. I relayed the info I had gathered from the net told him I was not the only one experiencing this problem and there must be something we can check like tolerances in diameter spring tension anything. His exact statement to me was "Sir this is the first i have heard of this problem" I at this point told him that either he was not being truthful or he is lying to me. The conversation went on but the lack of his knowledge and being truthful was all I could stand. I like this gun from a shooting stand point and the reviews are obviously very positive but if they are going to treat customers like this and the gun will not reload reliably, I am going to take it back and get two 870's for the price I paid for one of the 930's. I bought it based off the reviews and wan
ting an auto loader to add to the existing shotguns. I don't want to be without the gun for their 4 weeks they say they need.

Contact "edna" here on this site as she works for Mossberg and will get your issues resolved. Have you check the length of the magazine spring yet? Sometimes they come from the factory way to long.

I will call her. thank you.

As I spoke with m24shooter: First of all thank you for your quick responses!

What I would like is a list of spec's to check off on the 930 so we can make sure we eliminate factory tolerance issues. Then a list of checks to perform on the Choate tube or ideas of how to get it fully functional (As in filing .....or ?). Bottom line is that if these aren't 100% reliable they are all going back.

DHonovich said:

I've been working with Edna on my 930's issues and she's been great.

Mudinyeri said:
DHonovich said:

I've been working with Edna on my 930's issues and she's been great.

Copy that!

Is that her call sign on this site?? "Edna"

No, I have not checked the spring length. What is the correct length with the Choate extender?

Edna is her screen name here on the site. You sometimes have to trim the spring to about 10-16” longer than the mag tube and extension body.

Back