• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube

Well I went back to the range for the 1st time since I posted the photos last week. I shot 20 rounds of slugs..That makes a total of 30 rounds through the gun. The gun shot fine however I was still only able to get 4 in the tube sometimes then 5. Never got 7. I got home took it apart to clean and checked it out. First the magazine extension wouldn't unscrew easy. I loosen it then tighten it back up and then try to loosen it a few more times. Finally it came off. I noticed more scratches on the tube and the spring was wrapped up. Ive read a lot that there are issues with the extension and spring so I'm planing on buying the Nordic spring & tube since my spring is now junk(see the photos). Which I think sucks because Mossberg should have had these issues fixed by now. My question is before I do that I want to make sure the wear on the magazine tube is normal..It looks pretty beat up for only 30 rounds. But this is my first shotgun.Maybe its normal I don't know. What does everyone think? Thanks
Mossberg7-7-12011.jpg

This is how the spring looks after I untwisted it.
Mossberg7-7-12019.jpg

New marks on the tube. They are just about in the same location and next to the marks in the first set of photos
Mossberg7-7-12016.jpg

Mossberg7-7-12018.jpg

Mossberg7-7-12016.jpg

Mossberg7-7-12014.jpg

Mossberg7-7-12003.jpg

Mossberg7-7-12001.jpg

That is strange and I cant imagine what would cause that...

I finally got around to reading more and check the links in this thread. The wear is not normal. I guess I'll be contacting Mossberg Monday. None of us should still be having these issues. Cant believe they haven't fix these problems yet.

I just emailed customer service and sent photos. I'll followup with a call tomorrow. I'll post updates in this thread. Also noticed the magazine ext tube has a slight wobble to it when screwing it on.

Thats messed up man. Stay on OFM with call after call.

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

Called Mossberg yesterday and they are mailing me out a return label. The marks are definitely from taking the barrel on and off. I tried to take off the nut on the barrel and align the spring but I couldn't get it to move. I also have the issue of the spring getting twisted when removing the extension tube. The spring is now bent. Just to much stuff to deal with on a gun that's one week old. Hopefully those parts get replaced and I can get back to shooting in a month.

I have the same problem with mine. The spring inside the gas system has a burr and catches on the mag tube every time I remove/replace the barrel. Thats some crappy quality control on Mossberg's end.

I finally received the shipping label today..They told me it would take 5 days and it would be mailed..Well today I got it via email. Took them 8 days to email it. Hopefully I'll have it back in a month with no issues. I tracked it and it will arrive in TX on Friday

You should get a quick turnaround, just got mine back for the same issue, gas piston spring alignment and tube replacement.
Shipped: June 26th
Arrived at Maverick: July 2nd
Back to me on July 12th.

Not counting shipping time / weekends, they turned it around in a week and a 1/2. Great service IMO. Good luck!

New to the site and new to Mossberg, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I bought my 930 about 2 weeks ago and i have only had 25 rounds through it. My problem is it fails to feed, if i load the mag tube full the front shell stop gets stuck and does not release the shell, it acts like there is too much tension on the shells stop, and holding it in place. I've tried different ammo 2 3/4" and 3" i have even tried Choates +2 mag tube extension and new spring. There is no gaps in the tube and no debris. I have a youtube video under coreysc20 called mossberg 930 problem if you want to check it out. Its a little shaky and low quality but it shows the malfunction.

Having issues loading rounds. Cleaned it very well and reoiled everything needing it. For some reason the trying load shells it is very hard to insert the rounds. was fine until i swapped barrels from 18.5 to 28in but now it does not matter which barrel, it will not load easily .

Bruce
:oops:

Got my 930 back today..Took a total of 2 weeks and that includes shipping to and from. They replaced the magazine tube, magazine tube extension and spring. They also replace the blue spring in the gas system. The first thing I did was load some shells to make sure I could fit 7 and not 5. I got all 7 in the tube with no problem. I then took the gun apart. The extension tube unscrewed with no issues, no more binding up. The barrel came apart very smooth. It came apart without scratching the tube. I cleaned it all up and oiled it. I'm hoping to get to the range sometime this weekend and test it all out.
930Fixed004.jpg

930Fixed001.jpg

930Fixed003.jpg

:D This is what I like hearin! 2 weeks, while any wait sux, isnt all bad for shippin a firearm back and forth!!!

I also have scratches on teh magazine tube and am waiting for my shipping label.

What is the best / accepted way of shipping a SG? Original box? And craft paper over the top? I assume that you don't want anyone knowing there's a SG in the box.

Thanks, WR

waterrat said:
I also have scratches on teh magazine tube and am waiting for my shipping label.

What is the best / accepted way of shipping a SG? Original box? And craft paper over the top? I assume that you don't want anyone knowing there's a SG in the box.

Thanks, WR

I shipped mine in the original box and covered it with paper then packing tape. I did not want to ship it without covering the original Mossberg box. When I got it back they shipped the original box in another cardboard box.

Just an update..I was able to get to the range today. Fired 30 rounds of slugs. Took apart the gun when I got home and all is good. No scratches at all. Was able to load 7 in the tube as well today.

I just purchased a brand new Mossberg 930 SPX last week. I must say that Mossberg QC leaves A LOT to be desired. First off the safely lever, it took so much pressure to switch it on and off safety I actually thought it was broken, it was like running my thumb over a cheese grater. I shot a little Kroil oil under it and it seems to be better but it sure sucked right out of the box. I've ordered a metal one to replace the lame plastic factory one. Yesterday I took the shotgun completely down and gave it a good cleaning and oiling. 2nd issue right out of the box I couldn't get anymore than 5 rounds in the mag, so after much reading I trimmed the factory mag spring down to 28" and filed the follower edge (the edge that go into the mag extension) and inside the extended mag cap. It's doing a lot better after a lot of trail filing, fitting, and testing.

I've ordered a Wolff mag spring to replace the factory one, I'm thinking I may order an after market follower too, either a Wilson or S&J. You would think as long as the 930 has been on the market that Mossberg would have worked all the bugs out of it by now. Next is to get some range time with it and pray when I pull the trigger it goes boom. But if it doesn't after all these issues with it it wouldn't surprise me at all if it didn't.

Thanks to all that have posted helpful comments here in the forum they really helped me out a lot.

Update:I ordered a new metal safety from Ebay, it came in yesterday and it looks to be the same one Brownells sells, what a difference this makes. Smooth and easy to operate without my thumb feeling like it's rubbing on a cheese grater, it takes way less pressure to operate the new metal safety over the factory plastic one. I also added a Nordic magazine tube extension barrel clamp with Picatinny Rail.

Very good news Phantom!

Back