• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg buttstock turn over receiver. How to fix?

kontiky

.22LR
From time to time a buttstock of my Mossberg 590 turn over a receiver. It's terrible. :evil: To fix this I need to disassemble full buttstock (with SpeedFeed system) and turn screw that links receiver and buttstock. :cry:

How to avoid doing full buttstock disassemble? Is any fixation device for buttstock to prevent it turn over receiver?

Are you saying the buttstock is rotating around?

This should not happen, there should be a recess in the receiver and a protrusion from the stock that fit together. You may have slight side to side movemnet if the stock bolt is loose but you should not have a full rotation.

Is there a gap between the stock and receiver? Have you removed the stock? Possibly there is a spacer placed there incorrectly preventing the two from mating the way they should.

MikeD said:
Are you saying the buttstock is rotating around?
Yes, you are right.
MikeD said:
This should not happen, there should be a recess in the receiver and a protrusion from the stock that fit together. You may have slight side to side movemnet if the stock bolt is loose but you should not have a full rotation.
Unfortunately, significant rotating around is present :cry:
MikeD said:
Is there a gap between the stock and receiver?
Visually, no.
MikeD said:
Have you removed the stock? Possibly there is a spacer placed there incorrectly preventing the two from mating the way they should.
Sure, may times. There is no any spacers.

Some people advised me to use varnish for fixing stock's screw in receiver's nut.

Does the screw appear loose? Is there any other wobble in the stock outside of the rotation?

If the screw itself is not the problem, adding some type of thread locking material will not solve the issue and only make it harder to remove if you need to

It sounds to me like there is not enough material on the stock where the two pieces mate together. My guess is a problem with the stock. Some pics of the parts may help.

Is this a pistol grip stock or traditional design?

From the sound of it, I wonder if the receiver threading isn't stripped, or incorrect stock bolt.

John A. said:
From the sound of it, I wonder if the receiver threading isn't stripped, or incorrect stock bolt.

^^^ bolt too long.

I'm gonna provide a photo for you that "should" be what your 500/590 stock and receiver together should look like. For the butt stock in this (my) photo to "rotate" even slightly there would have to be a HUGE part of the trigger group (part of the receiver when properly mounted and pinned-into it) missing where it finds a keyway into the stock.

Shoot us a picture of what you are seeing on your end..........

Are you in a foreign country by any chance?

If you bought this gun as a USED gun and some dip-schidt cut the stock (at the front) and the trigger housing protuding key off in order to get a combined shorter Length of Pull (LOP) where the receiver/trigger group mesh, instead of where the recoil pad meets the rear of the buttstock......... then you have two smooth surfaces trying to lock together under strain tension from a long stock screw and it just isn't going to go well for you

Attachments

• 590_stock_to_receiver.jpg
    590_stock_to_receiver.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 110
Back