• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg patriot 6.5 issues

For years i heard people rave about the Creedmore 6.5 and its phenomenal accuracy. I finally bought one....well that is when I discovered the reality vs opinion is not the same, after 4 boxes of ammo. The Mossberg Patriot chambered in 6.5 is very accurate, only if you're shooting 110-125gr match ammo. Like many have stated the synthetic stock is a big issue, and the sub-standard machining on the muzzle crown being another and they're correct. I found two issues aside from those; the stocks are modified from another model series and are an improper fit. The high twist rate produces excessive vibration and torque which the cheap crappy stocks can't handle. In order to get something resembling accuracy out of this rifle with hunting ammo, i had to carve out the inside barrel channel and reinforce with carbon fibre rods(arrows). Then i glued the plastic clip well and block into the stock with rtv silicone. No more bending stock touching the barrel and knocked most of the vibration down. Now its an accurate rifle with the heavier loads. Hope this helps!

I do not own a patriot or a Creedmoor but I do have rifles with plastic stocks and they are not my favorite.

On my .22 bolt rifle, I filled the entire hollow stock with lead shot, to make this thing steady on the bench.

I wouldn’t care to carry it in the field though…

When I bought my .308 my friend says, “oh, you should’ve bought a Creedmoor.”

I guess the jury is still out.

If you can find a 6.5 creedmore with a WOOD stock I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The recoil is nothing for the range and energy those short mag rounds have. I'm not pooing on Mossberg, its just this particular model was not well thought out and poorly designed.

I’ve had similar disappointments from other manufacturers.

When I was out at the rifle range a couple years ago I got to shoot a police model Creedmoor 6.5. I think it was customized from a Remington but I’m not sure anymore.

I embarrassed myself on the first shot, by hitting the hostage on their terrorist flip-over target, But after a few shots I was quite impressed with the rifle. You could tell it shot flatter than my .308 Ruger.

A police model creedmore, cool. Was it a AR 15 platform or traditional stocked rifle? I started shooting older rifles like SKS and Brit 303, but they have a set trigger pull of 5.5 pounds. NOT the most accurate rifles to shoot. It took a long time to get used to shooting newer gear with 2-stage and lighter triggers. That trigger pull and proper finger application is most of your accuracy on these new rifles.

SKS you have to be hard on the trigger, try that with a Benelli 300 WM and you might not even hit the board. Tough habits to break. The creedmore is the perfect example, if you are hard on the trigger it will shoot all over the place. Really annoying

It was an AR style rifle but I can’t tell you about the gear on it. A couple of the local sheriffs deputies brought it out to the range.

It’s been so long ago I cannot tell you whether it was modeled after the AR-10 or the 15, but I believe it had the style of forearm they use on a Daniel defense.

It’s been so long ago I cannot tell you whether it was modeled after the AR-10 or the 15, but I believe it had the style of forearm they use on a Daniel defense.
The AR-15 is a "shorter" action. AR-10 is a "mediumer" action. 30-06 is a "longer" action (as is the .270 shown). Meaning the distance the bolt has to travel to chamber a round. The .308 (NATO 7.62) came about because it was the same-ish power as the ought-six but in a smaller action. .223/AR-15 came about because the Gov't wanted a lesser power AR-10 and Stoner obliged... Conveniently, 7.62x39 (AK rounds) will sort of fit in an AR-15 action.

308vs30-06.jpg 65Cvs270.jpg 556vs76239.jpg

Last edited:
Back