• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossy 590A1 Wolff Pre-Fit Tapered End Mag Spring?

seagiant

Hi,
Just ordered one of these as my OEM Spring is now VERY weak.

There is also a "General Purpose" 45" Spring with no taper that you cut to size yourself.

Just wondering what way people are going with Mag Springs???

aa2.JPG

The Wolff springs are a good choice for replacing the OEM Mossberg ones. These springs typically need to be fitted to the different magazine lengths whether it's installed in a 500 or 590. You will hear different recommendations as to the overall length and how much the spring should stick out of the magazine tube when intitally fitted. Some will say a minimum of 8 inches while others will recommend 12 inches or even more when the spring is initially inserted into the tube and not compressed.

First, make sure the end that fits into the follower has no issues.

I'd start by installing a full length spring and see how many shell you can load. If you can't fully load the tube then you obviously need to reduce the length of the spring.

I'd take small bites until you have a proper fit and then cycle several full tubes of shells to make sure it's working properly.

Once you have a good fitting spring length you want to bend the "cap end" of the spring inward so the final loop of the spring doesn't get hung up on anything especially the other spring loops when the spring is compressed and cycled. Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Hi,
That is the General Purpose 45" Spring and not what I ordered.

I bought the 8+1 pre fit, tapered end Spring.

Was wondering if anyone runs those?

Thanks!

I would think you will have no issues with that spring given they obviously have sized it to your specific magazine length. No different than the procedures I described above.

Do us a favor when you first install it. When you first insert it into the tube measure how much of the spring is sticking out when uncompressed. Will be interesting as to how they are sizing the spring!

Good luck with the Wolff spring. Let us know how it works.

Regards

I would think you will have no issues with that spring given they obviously have sized it to your specific magazine length. No different than the procedures I described above.

Do us a favor when you first install it. When you first insert it into the tube measure how much of the spring is sticking out when uncompressed. Will be interesting as to how they are sizing the spring!

Regards
Hi,
No problem, I want to compare it to the old Spring, also.

Hi,
No problem, I want to compare it to the old Spring, also.
I suspect your old spring has suffered fatigue and will be several inches shorter today than its original factory length.

Most of the original full length type replacement springs are around +/- 45 inches before fitting.

And you are correct Wolff offers both prefitted springs like you ordered and full length ones that require fitting. Lots of folks with multiple shotguns having various length mag tubes just buy the full length ones and cut them to fit which ever model they have.

Also good to check your follower when you have it apart. They sometimes get burrs or scratches from debris which can be cleaned up and polished with some scotchbrite.

Regards

Hi,
Thanks, already put in an upgraded follower.

Will clean everything of course and check for free operation.

As I stated the factory spring still worked to unload the Shotgun, but...

Love this Shotgun!

aa3.JPG

Regards
Hi,
Some info I found was the advice to size the 45" spring to 8" past the end of the Magazine?

Correct, I do not know, but something, I ran across.

Would be convenient, if true???

Hi,
Well STILL waiting on my Spring from Wolff, I had forgot how slow they are.

Decided to do the Elevator Upgrade, while I waited.

This is 2 small bevels on the Elevator where the Shells have to pass by to load and unload.

Also polished the Bolt Carrier corners where the shells slide.

I have had no problems but seemed like a good idea, for a troublesome shell.

Wondering if anyone else has done this?

Pic was stolen from another thread.

15373594972_235df9b392_b.jpg

There is nothing wrong with what you're doing.

Those shell lifters come with different finishes from the factory and many folks have actually polished the lifter arms -- see picture below.

Others have taken the finish totally off the mechanism. In fact, some of the first production Shockwaves had lifter issues and Mossberg replaced those lifters with bare metal ones (sans any finish).

Next time you have your lifter out take a look at the outside surface of the arms and look for scratches in the finish. If you see any I'd remove the finish down to bare metal and polish it.

Good luck

s-l300 (1).jpg

Hi,
Thanks for the info, as I stated not trying to fix a problem, as there is none, but thought it a good upgrade, so to speak.

ALL these commercial made Firearms, are made to a price point, and sometimes a little Bench Work, helps!

The Lifter, on a Mossberg and the exclusion of a Shell Latch, like on a Rem 870 is one of the reasons, I went Mossy for an HD Shotgun!

I have been using the Wolff pre-fit 8+1 spring in my 590 with 18" barrel and S&J +1 extension for 4 years and it works phenomenally

Personally I don't like the cut to fit springs if there is a pre-fit Wolff for the application (like the tapered ends etc)

I actually inquired with Wolff as I have the factory 6-shot XP spring in my 500 and Maverick 88 (with 5 shot mag tubes) but since the 590 I purchased about 5 years ago came with the longer 6-shot tube and I had a +1 extension they said even with the 6-shot tube and no extension it should work fine

Also tested the Wolff Mossberg 8+1 spring in my 870 with 6-shot tube and worked flawless so there is another application for that spring too (although Wolff sells their own Remington pre-cut spring)

I'm with Ricky_Bobby. I have the pre fit 590 8+1 spring in both my 590a1 and 930 with GG&G +2. They fit and function perfectly. Unlike other spring makers, Wolff does not use piano wire for their springs and it shows!!! good longevity and even power. ALSO because of the CPI (coils per inch) on their 590 springs you can get the advertised capacity on Mossbergs! A true 8+1 on the 590 and A TRUE 7+1 ON THE 930 when paired with a 7" plus two extension. (note: the extension must be flush with the end of the barrel)

Hi,
Wow, thanks Gentleman, it's been actually hard to find info on these Wolff Pre Fit Springs, surprisingly?

I asked the nice Lady at Wolff, and she assured me, there were no problems!!!

Hi,
Oh yea, that's a LH Model, had to wait a year to get it!!!

For some reason, Mossberg only makes so many LH Models and they are not always available, and...

You have to wait for the next "run" to be made!!!

It seems if you saw a waiting Market and a certain type of your product sold out year after year you would up production and meet the demand???

Not Mossberg!

aa2.JPG

Last edited:
At Wolff they always pick up the phone and they are super helpful when you call them and can answer any tech spec questions

With my 18" 590 that has the 6-round tube and +1 S&J extension (comes about 1/4" shorter than the muzzle) I do get 7 in the tube easily, and I'm using the Wolff 590 '8-shot' spring and an S&J delrin follower

Interesting on the lefty pump - I shoot lefty but never really thought of it too much I am just used to everything dumping in front of my face

:beach::beach:At Wolff they always pick up the phone and they are super helpful when you call them and can answer any tech spec questions

With my 18" 590 that has the 6-round tube and +1 S&J extension (comes about 1/4" shorter than the muzzle) I do get 7 in the tube easily, and I'm using the Wolff 590 '8-shot' spring and an S&J delrin follower

Interesting on the lefty pump - I shoot lefty but never really thought of it too much I am just used to everything dumping in front of my face
Hi,
Shotguns and Bolt Rifles, I prefer LH Models.

Everything else, I adapt, but just sayin.

The Ejection Port on the left side, is good for the ejecting but also for a quick reload when empty, if needed.

I actually called Mossberg and talked to the Super on the Floor, and he told me what was going on with the LH Production!

I was amazed, but...

Hi,
Well still have not received my Spring.

The Tracking only said "Label Created, Not In System", for about a week so sent Wolff Co. an E-Mail.

Got a reply today from Sean Wolff, saying there was some kind of glitch that he does not know how it happened, but...

He would get Spring in Mail today, sans Postal Charges.

Seemed more than fair, so hopefully will have Spring in a few days!

Back