• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mundane stuff people don't think about

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Just to kick this off, how many of y'all have a treadle sewing machine? On the surface, it may seem like this relatively primitive technology would have no use in a survival situation. However, clothing is not only a necessity, but also a source of trade and income. We have 2 old Singer treadle machines in full working condition with needles, and other accessories, that we can put to use if the electric grid goes belly up, or convert one to power a variety of other tools to produce stuff that is of value.

Point is, have y'all taken a inventory of your stuff that is really useful if things revert back to the early 1800's or thereabouts?

This one is original condition from my wifes grandmother:

singer2.jpg

This is one I salvaged and restored, that I picked up for $50 about 20 years ago.

singer1.jpg

I have my moms old singer sewing machine...not a treadle, but the next gen after it....old school is good school.

The bottom is just like my late grandmothers. Even the drawer pulls are the same. And I saw it get a lot of use growing up too. A quick roll of the top wheel and her little foot rocking back and forth to get it started and to keep it going at the speed she wanted. Yes sir.

Though hers was very very dark wood. About like whatever that is in the lower left corner of the top picture.

I was looking at the one my mother in law has in her basement tonight along with an old wringer washing machine beside of it (something else I used a lot growing up). And washboards and the likes.

As a whole, our family has a lot of the old things from the turn of the last century and I remember a lot of them being used growing up because we didn't really have much compared to the way a lot of other peoples' lifestyles were back then.

Butter churns, (gasp) hand tools of all trades, breast augers, pot belly cast iron stoves, you name it.

I thank God for my humble upbringing. I may would have some withdrawls from some of the modern convienences, but I could revert back a lot easier than many of the younger generation who has only seen a blister on TV LOL

No sewing machine but plenty of old time stuff in the house and family. Dad has more than me though. The local Amish population also keeps a few stores stocked with off the grid, old time technology items.

Real nice Gunny!

Why not use them now? They work, use them. If things go bad, those items will be very in demand. Any older hand tools will be back in vogue. To some of us, things like that never went out of style.

I have a bit and brace that jumped to mind after seeing this thread. They still get used, although not as much as the cordless units.

I have a singer very similar to that one except it is electric. It was my grandmothers. I'm not sure if it was one of the first electric models or a repro. I do know it's as old I am or older, she had it for as long as my memory goes back.

While many don't consider it a "manly" skill, I learned to sew at a young age. My grandmother taught me how to make small marble bags/stuff sacks (on said sewing machine). I was taught how to take up pants (a truly invaluable skill if you have an odd inseam). I've even made bow quivers etc. While I've never refined the skill enough to make clothes, I know I could fabricate something if I needed to; it might not be pretty but it would be functional.

Too many seemingly simple tasks are falling out of use because people would rather pay someone else to do it. I still try to repair what I can myself.

Nothing wrong with learning how to sew.

I was taught/raised that there was no such thing as a woman only job.

While normally my chores were geared more for a boy (mowing grass, working in the garden, etc) during the winter months when there was little to do outside beside the occasional water line freeze/break, I helped with laundry and dishes and what ever that needed done around the house to keep it going.

We weren't raised to just sit there while "a woman" worked around you just because you were a man...er boy or whatever.

And I have no respect for anyone that did act that way.

I've always took pride in being self sufficient.

My dad turned all my cloths pink doing laundry when I was a kid. I washed all my own stuff after that. I was pissed at the time but looking back it may have been sheer genius on his part. LOL

I also had a friend who still had his mom doing his laundry well into his 30's. This same guy laughed his *** off and ribbed me for years because I knitted my own hunting hat. These are the people that will be freaking out the most if the SHTF for real and we are forced to live without many of the amenities most have become accustomed to (or have never existed without).

In a more 'manly' vein, a pic of Roy Underhill making shingles using primitive tools (which I still use occasionally also). No hydraulic splitter here. :) ( The text below the pic pertains to a different topic).

rivingbrake.jpg

Back