• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Muzzle Break?

Bill380US

Copper BB
Hi All, I have been a Mossberg owner for a good 30+ years. I now have a new 930 with an 18 inch barrel, 5 shot, home defender model. At this point in life I find myself spending a good part of my life in a wheel chair. I have shot my 500 a number of times while in my chair which I have found to be interesting at several levels. My biggest problem is the felt recoil. It can actually move my chair backwards in a circular movement (I'm right handed). I would like to have the barrel PORTED to lessen the felt recoil. Does anyone have any info on who, and where I can have this done? OR any other solution that will work. (a girl at Mossberg says they won't do a barrel 18 inches long). I would really appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanx. Bill

Hello and welcome!
Many have gone with the Vang porting system for recoil help and are happy.
I went with a different concept, a true muzzlebrake that is also a dedicated breacher by King Armory. They also make a brake only variant. They are very good. Here is mine.

Let us know how it goes.
Best...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340402289.438107.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340402289.438107.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 594
Hello, evenin! Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I too have talked to OFM about porting and was told the same thing, that they wont have an 18" barrel done. I'm not entirely clear on the reasoning.

As far as felt recoil with the 930 goes, another new member just posted some info on some 930 SPX comp guns in the Vang Comp section under the "Vendors" heading as you scrol down the index page. I'll actually link it up here in a moment.

He had Vang do some work on his gun(s) which included back boring, but no porting. As I understand, 930's and other autos arent being ported because of the gas sysytem. However, our other new member relates that felt recoil has been significantly reduced allowing for far more accurate repeat and follow up shots.

Shooting from your chair, do you shoot square in the chair or bladed and across the chair? I dont have any particular insight, only that which ever youre doin, maybe try the other to see if it helps reduce the forces applied that cause your chair to move or rotate.

Heres the link I mentioned above;
VANG COMP 930SPX

Thanx SeaScout for the info. I will give King Armory a call on Monday and see what they can do.
Thanx Rossignal for the info. I have shot straight on and across my body. Across my body seems to work best, but then who knows exactly when and where one will shoot when a self defense issue arises. The Van Comp muzzle work seems to reduce the felt recoil by about 15% according to what I have read. I was hoping or more. All in all, great info from both of you. Thank you both very much. Bill

No problem, youre welcome!

Let us know which way you go and how things work out, or if you have any more questions, post em and we'll see what we can find for ya!

Bill380US said:
Thanx SeaScout for the info. I will give King Armory a call on Monday and see what they can do.
Thanx Rossignal for the info. I have shot straight on and across my body. Across my body seems to work best, but then who knows exactly when and where one will shoot when a self defense issue arises. The Van Comp muzzle work seems to reduce the felt recoil by about 15% according to what I have read. I was hoping or more. All in all, great info from both of you. Thank you both very much. Bill
Bill,
Let me now throw out a " caution " now that you have shown some interest in the King Armory Muzzlebrake. First, I would not have installed it if I had not come to the conclusion that for me, it was hands down the best solution for my requirements. That list included both day and night firing. Rapid follow up shots in multiple firing positions including prone. Enhanced accuracy at all ranges with multiple loads and of course breaching capabilties. I am convinced it is the best. Having said that, their service is God Awful Slow at the best of times. You want to talk to Joey when you call. I believe they are in the process of moving the shop to Tennessee. Perhaps you could purchase a brake or breacher and have someone else do the work. There are numerous YouTube videos showing their brakes in action to research as well. Some of the speed runs and the night firing are just eye opening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9lrc2z ... ata_player

Please let me know how it goes.
Best....

Back