• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My ammo box is full

i have been buying 22 lr ammo any time i see it at a good price. the other week it was raining bad and nothing to do. so i counted my 22 lr ammo i had 12,900 rounds of 22 lr. so im done with 22 lr ammo for some time.

It's been over a year and a shelf since I've seen a box of 22lr on the shelf anywhere. I did find a 500 round and a 325 round pack at Midway a while back and that has been the only online purchase I've been able to make. It's usually priced way to high or sold out before I try to by it. Gone are the days of walking into any sporting goods shop and seeing pyramids of 500 round bricks for $10-$15.

9mm, 40 and 45 seem to be making their way back on the shelves. .223/5.56 as well but still pricier than it was with more limited selection.

On the upside, over the past months I've built quite a stash of bird shot as that's what I could find. LOL

It's been over a year and a shelf since I've seen a box of 22lr on the shelf anywhere. I did find a 500 round and a 325 round pack at Midway a while back and that has been the only online purchase I've been able to make. It's usually priced way to high or sold out before I try to by it. Gone are the days of walking into any sporting goods shop and seeing pyramids of 500 round bricks for $10-$15.

9mm, 40 and 45 seem to be making their way back on the shelves. .223/5.56 as well but still pricier than it was with more limited selection.

On the upside, over the past months I've built quite a stash of bird shot as that's what I could find. LOL

My LGS has had a steadily increasing supply of .22lr and .22mag on hand for the past 4 months or so, and the other day the 12' long .22 shelf was plumb full. Prices are still not coming down much, but at least Mitch isn't rationing. Other ammo is also fully stocked with just about anything anyone wants, with some popular stuff stacked up in the aisles - ammo cans of 5.56 for example.

Walmart and other big retailers still suck. Haven't seen any .22 in wallyworld for a year. I'll know when it's all good again, when I see .22 for sale at our local gas station and the Co-Op in Aberdeen. :D Used to be able to pick some up there a few years ago.

I used to work from: 'buy more than you shoot'

After the last lengthy pistol powder shortage I have added '...and buy it when you see it'.

I've bought more powder in the last 4 months than...

22 is the only factory ammo that I buy - the rest I reload (well SOME SD ammo too). That has reappeared recently and have bought accordingly.

Were there ever a major change in the supply chain OR my ability (say, financial) to replenish stocks I want to be able to shoot for a VERY long time. Very.

Was at my local WM last night gittin' some groceries and I always make it a point to go past the ammo aisle, which is now also a GUN aisle as they have started stocking rifles (including ARs) at this location. The shelves were FULLY stocked with all varieties of center-fire pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo but nary a .22 round to be had... :(

I talked with a clerk at one WM store a few months back and he seemed to think the line of flea-market scumbags was getting shorter. I'm talking the people who line up at 8am to buy out newly stocked bulk packs of .22 at 9am. Then they sell baggies of rounds at $0.10ea round. I don't have time to do flea markets but if I did, I would take a picture and report these people to the BATFE just to bust their ballz (ie: unlicensed retail ammo sales).

Besides the Law of Gravity, I also believe in the Law of Supply and Demand, so eventually demand will diminish, supplies will increase and prices will come back down. The problem here is that some people panic and create an unnecessary demand or even worse, suppliers can hold back inventory and create a perceived lack of supply. All bets are off if a Dumocrap gets into the WH in 2016... :eek:

In Nobama's Apocalypse, lead will have more value than gold! Forget silver bullets, when lead runs out, gold will take its place! ;)

I think a conservative stocking number is 1000rds for each semi-auto rifle or pistol, 500rds for shotguns, wheelguns and bolt-action rifles, MINIMUM for each firearm... I shake my head when the news story makes a big deal of "the gunman was found with 200 rounds of ammo"--BFD, that is 2 "value" boxes of ammo--so what?

I have a number of military ammo boxes I keep much of my ammo in but I could use more... Somewhat organized by firearm type (pistol, rifle and shotty). I'm low on .22 but fortunately the firearms I have to fire it are not ammo-sensitive (ie: can fire "standard" velocity rounds). The Henry assault lever-action can hold 21 .22shorts! :eek:;)

Keep buying ammo, my brothers and sisters... If it starts getting in your way, just bury it until you need it! :cool:

PS: HERE is an article on the subject from American Rifleman (NRA magazine--the type you read...)

Last edited:
line of flea-market scumbags was getting shorter. I'm talking the people who line up at 8am to buy out newly stocked bulk packs of .22 at 9am.

The clerk at my store refers to them as the "Creapy Ammo guys that come in really early every day" LOL

If you don't wish to buy and shoot the rare .22LR you could always reload 9mm or .38-Spl or .45 Auto for about the same price as rimfire ammo, provided you have some wheel weights and bullet molds and the powder and primers and dies.

For real.

I reload 100-rounds of cast bullet centerfire pistol ammo for maybe $5~$6 per.

If you don't wish to buy and shoot the rare .22LR you could always reload 9mm or .38-Spl or .45 Auto for about the same price as rimfire ammo, provided you have some wheel weights and bullet molds and the powder and primers and dies.

For real.

I reload 100-rounds of cast bullet centerfire pistol ammo for maybe $5~$6 per.

True, i just have a lot invested in toys that eat 22lr. ;-D

I have ample ammo in every caliber I have chosen to standardize with.
7.62 x 39, 51, 54R (yea I am a .30 cal man)
.40S&W
22lr
12G

Then I have collector rifles and pistols that I may have 500 rounds or so for. Mausers, Tokarovs, etc etc

Ample ammo ?.....I consider 50,000 rounds ample for about ten years in 5.56 alone. I will never have ample ammo

Man, I should see what's in my inventory. Been buying ammo just about every time were out and I find some over the past 3-4 years. Lately been getting 556/223, 45, 380, 308 and 22 (if I find them)
My 240 can is topped of as is my many 50 cans and buch more stuffed in every pocket of every gun case with the respected caliber and then there's the pile of ammo in the closets of the mentioned types as back up. Just in case cuz u never know where you will be when you may need some.o_O

Back