• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My First Pump Shotgun and Needing Help!!

xxlane

Copper BB
Hello everyone, I am new to this.
I purchased a new Mossberg 500 pump today 8-shot. My question is ? I have to pull back on the forearm very hard and quick to get another shell into chamber. Is this normal or will it get better over time, if it doesn't I just as good with my old single shot!!
I have just shot 2 shells through it. It seems to not push the thing that stops the shells on the side.
Thought I would ask someone before taking it apart or sending it back.
Thanks for all the info on your site and your help.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 500!

Looks to me like you may just need a good field strip and thorough cleaning. That's where I'd start with a new gun. There's no telling how long it sat before you got your hands on it. The action on new guns can be pretty stiff at first, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Give it a good cleaning and a new coat of oil, then put a few boxes of shells through it. I'm sure you'll have the action running like butter in no time.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your 500 and any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions and good luck with your decision.

Enjoy the site!

xxane;

Welcome aboard;

New guns often need to break in. Keep in mind pumps need to be cycled briskly, they tend to malfunction most when the slide is babied. I suggest you use dummy ammo and cycle the gun quite a bit to work out any machining burrs or tight fits. Dummy ammo allows you to do it safely if not on the range

Welcome !, they feel gummy untill they are cleaned for the first time. Get that factory gunk out of there and it will be smooth. If that dosent work then check the ammo. Sometimes they stick to the chamber .

I'm gonna echo here whats been said already.

Firstly, I agree! Because of the heavy grease OF Mossberg loves, the action will absolutely be sticky and utterly less than satisfying to cycle. So break it down, get all the grease out, and then oil leaving a light coat, but not at all wet with oil.

Then cycle manually, or use dummy rounds to test function, and get out and shoot it! It will smooth out and "polish" itself as you go!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners! :D

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum xxlane !!

Congrats on the new Mossy ...once broken down and lightly oiled you should not have a problem !

Take a look in there, these guns are simple to take apart and put together. Just hit up youtube for a quick look if you don't know how, but the manual is pretty clear on how to. There should be no "very hard" effort required to chamber a shell.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Howdy xxlane, and welcome to the club!

check out this video. it's real easy to field strip it....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL766B8B07C98FDE50[/youtube]

Thanks everyone for all the help on my Gun problems. I cleaned the gun and didn't help. So I took it to a gun dealer and a guy there took it apart,tried different things but none worked. Finally he figured out the the cartridge elevator wasn't hitting the cartridge stop. We took it out and looking at it end ways you could tell that the elevator was angled in at both edges (factory mess up) we bent the side of elevator out some and installed. Worked perfect. This must have been a bad elevator. Hopes this helps anyone else with this problem. And thanks again for all your help, gun works like a charm now.

Glad to hear that the problems solved. Did you find that it was pretty easy to strip it?
Don't be a stranger around here. Hope to hear from ya more often.
Cheers.

Back