• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My rifle-shotgun

6MT

I took the new Retrograde out today to try it out.

IMG-2542.jpg

I had some 1oz target slugs to shoot. Notice that there’s no speed printed on that label.

IMG-2543.jpg

This barrel has a very low front bead sight. So my first couple of shots were very high using the front bead to sight. I knew about issue this before I shot today. (I have a taller front sight ordered.) It took four shots to figure out my hold at 109 yards. Which was around a 2 foot low hold. Once I figured that out, I rarely missed at 109 yards on the steel. I even made hits on the smaller pieces of steel besides the big silhouette. Thus the title of the thread; my rifle-shotgun. So much fun bang’n away like this.

Now for the cool factor. I’ve never chrony’d a slug from a scattergun. I tried it once with a LabRadar and I wasn’t surprised that it couldn’t pick up the big chunk of lead. Someone at the range told me that only slugs with the wad glued to the lead can be picked up by the LabRadar. It seems to get confused with the two pieces flying down range.

Enter the little Garmin wonder. The Garmin only picked up 19 out of the 25 rounds that I fired. To be fair, I believe that I was moving away from the chrony as I was firing. And I got too far away from it. I’ll give the Garmin the benefit of the doubt. But just look at those spread and SD numbers!

IMG-2541.png

The fellow shooting next to me was jealous with those numbers. I was amazed. That is pretty consistent ammo! And it’’s just cheapo target grade lower recoil shells.

Other then that speed stuff, the Retrograde is very accurate. Very consistent as well. Absolutely no issues loading, chambering, or extracting. It shouldered beautifully and sighted easily. I loaded 6 in the mag and one in the chamber for a total of 7 on board. I think it handles better than my 590a1 with the 20” barrel. Probably because it’s lighter and has the shorter barrel.

Fun times! AND… it was 65deg today. Pretty warm for April 2nd up here!

Last edited:
How was your shoulder after all that slug shooting?
I gotta say I've had sore shoulders and the odd cheek slap with full power slugs...but using the push/pull method for 00 buck and slugs helps a ton.

Years ago I remember sighting in a rifle sight, slug barrel...before I knew about push/pull...LOL!

I installed the new taller bead sight and front rail from DT. I watched their video on the bead sight installation. It was very easy.

I dressed my socket with masking tape so I didn’t mark the barrel when taking off the OE sight and installing the new one. I did not encounter any crud or debris on the threads. As the video said, you may have the thread on the new sight protrude into the barrel. I snugged it down and could feel the thread on the inside of the barrel. So I followed their instruction and lightly sanded the bottom of the threads on the bead. You don’t need to take off much. I only went up and down, side to side, and in a circular motion for about 15 seconds. This was enough to remove enough material so I could no longer feel it sticking out. Then I used a tiny bit of blue loctite thread locker on the threads. Snugged it down just firmly hand tight as DT suggests.

Done…easy.

IMG-2585.jpg

Now the front bead is above the receiver flat top. And it should bring the point of aim lower. I will report how it works.

I see you have the light mount piece from DT. Those are great. I put one on the '88 and last week I finally got a Streamlight to mount on it.

Limbsaver makes a great butt pad that will help over factory pads. If you are looking at some serious work with buck and slugs check them out.

6MT;20161331 said:
IMG-2585.jpg

Now the front bead is above the receiver flat top. And it should bring the point of aim lower. I will report how it works.

I tried the new taller front bead sight out today for the first time. I was shooting 1oz. slugs at 109 yards. With the original bead, the gun was shooting about 25” high (with acquisition of the bead on the flat top of the receiver).

With the new DT taller sight, the shotgun now shoots about 6” high (again with sight acquisition on the flat top of the receiver). Big improvement!

My solution to get it closer is to acquire the bead and then lower the fore end until the bead just about disappears. Or, to just acquire the very beginning (top) of the bead and then break the trigger. Any way you do it, timing your break just as the sight breaks the top of the receiver is paramount.

I’m not trying to shoot groups here. Just trying to hit the center of the large silhouette or the 18” square steel at 109 yards with a slug. As I mentioned before, the taller sight helps. I guess if I wanted to have it be perfect, an elevated XS or equivalent front sight would be my choice. But because I like the look of the 590 Retrograde as original, I won’t be going that route. When I shoot slugs, I’ll remember my holds at distance.

YMMV Have fun!

Back