• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Turkey Shotand 00 Buck testing session

Wackostu

Just got back from the range, and I wanted to test out Turkey shot in my Mossy 500 28". I brought with me Horniday Heavy Load #5 3", Winchester 3" Super X #5, and Remington Premier High Velocity 3" #5. I also planned on shooting Federal Turkey Mag Shot 3" #5, however I was only able to find one box, so I am saving it.

I was very impressed with the Horniday. They patterned the tightest and had very little recoil. The Remington was a far second, and the Winchester was just bad. The Win had the largest recoil, and in fact felt like it would rip my shoulder out. The Horniday didn't even move. Head and shoulders above the rest. I need to find another box of the Federal so I can compare with the Horniday.

I also had some 00 Buck: Federal Vital Shok 2 3/4, and Winchester 2 3/4 XX. (wanted to test more, but Buck is hard to find here in SE Wisconsin.)

Federal had all 9 within a 3" circle at 25 yards. The Winchester was 8 in a 8 in circle with one stray. Loved the Federal. Low recoil and tight patterns. As with the Turkey load, the Winchester did not perform well.

So I learned that My Mossy loves to eat up Horniday and Federal. Looks like I am going to have to do some online ordering so I can keep on feeding the beast!

Thanks for posting up your results.

It good to see that you're narrowing down what your 500 likes to eat...

No doubt dude, my findings would be the same!

#1 would be Federal, followed closely by Hornady!

Did you happen to get any pics?

You gotta know what's coming out of the barrel and what it's gonna do for you!! End of story.

Back