• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need garage advice

Alrighty. I still haven't forgotten about the garage, but I'm going to have to go a slightly different direction than I had originally intended.

Partially because of possible (likely) right of way issues from what I had planned before.

And after speaking with the electric company, I would in fact have to move and redo all my electrical which would have added almost as much cost to the project as half the addition would've costed in the first place. Mainly because the electric company don't have automatic meters and don't allow the home owner to read their own meter like some other companies do. So, I would have to move my electrical service entrance if I put it beside the kitchen as I had originally planned. I would have to get the new electrical inspected, and other junk that I don't want to have to fool with.

So, in thinking a lot about it, and listening to the advice here, I am considering many of the options brought by you guys.

It would be a detached garage, but only by about an inch or so and ALMOST butted up to the lower section of my front porch, but detached is still detached. ;)

This shouldn't negatively affect my homeowner insurance policy like an attached garage would. (I checked, it would have raised my premium a lot more than a detached garage).

It would be made similar to a pole barn or a simple car port, but with (some) walls.

The wall up front would have an overhead garage door. I can't use swing open garage doors due to the pitch of the yard. It slopes down hill slightly from the road so it will have to have an overhead door.

The side wall furthest away from the house would be a solid wall.

The back wall will have swing open doors and could be wide open if I wanted.

Or closed most of the time obviously.

And I wouldn't even need to box in the wall nearest the house.

This location would be more ideal at this time than beside of the kitchen where I originally wanted it.

The area underneath of my front porch (which is also beside of where I would be putting the garage, is used for storing my ATV and riding mower and other things.) I could rearrange stuff around and give me a considerable more amount of area to store a lot of my tools and stuff without needing to add sq footage to the structure itself because it already exists and already being used. I would just be parking my truck closer to the house than I am now.

This will give me much needed privacy too.

So, now that I have a plan that I can live with, my next step is to start getting some estimates and get a personal loan for the project and go from there.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Nothing has started yet. Still in the planning stage, but a step closer now. The advice here has helped tremendously so far. I appreciate it guys.

John we have automatic meters. They suck. Cheaply made plastic parts.

They replaced the exposed plastic parts on millions of meters because dogs and rodents were chewing them off.
(Probably made the plastic in Mexico with soy oil instead of mineral oil.)

The meters have again been replaced with new ones after a "rate averaging" scandal where people were overcharged in bizarre ways.
Who knows if the new ones are working right or sending my data to Pluto?

Our electric company reads the meters themselves.

And they said that they absolutely positively have to have unfettered access to it. Which means, if I don't move it, I would have to leave my garage door open all the time.

Which would be a big negatory ghost rider.

So, it would be easier to move where I planned for the garage than it would to rewire my house and have it inspected and everything else to make a new power service entrance.

Back