• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need help figuring out options

Usabodyguards

Copper BB
Not sure which model I have, I believe it's the 500 cruiser? Anyone know if I am right?

Here is a pic....

444a4f1b.jpg

Question, can I easily change out the front foregrip to one that has rails? Or do I have the version that isn't removable, or how can I check?

Looks like the 500 'Cruiser 6-shot' that has had an adjustable stock added to it. With that model you should be able to put whatever forend you want on it. I would say to call Mossberg customer service and talk to them. They can tell you for sure. Nice AR BTW, and welcome to the Forum.

Just for clarification sake regarding the nomenclature, the designation of "Cruiser" refers to model 500s which are pistol grip only. If your set-up is factory, then it's a 500 "Tactical". Otherwise, it very well could have begun life as a Cruiser model and had an adjustable stock added at some point. This is likely, since you also have a heavy walled beacher barrel which, with a few exceptions, is most often found on the Cruiser models. There are also countless distributor exclusive configurations in the market that differ from Mossberg's factory models, making it almost impossible to tell for sure without the part number off of the factory box. It's all semantics, but either way you've got a great lookin boomstick.

As far as replacing the forend, you need to first determine the configuration of your current forend. Some are pinned, while others utilize an action slide tube held on by a castle nut. If your forend is pinned, then you will need to convert over to an action slide tube configuration before you'll be able to switch to any of the aftermarket forends. If yours is already set up with an action slide tube, then you are good to go.

I borrowed this post from one of our members. It illustrates an easy way to determine which configuration you have...

Kodiak said:
If you see this, you have a pinned forend. Note, it can be replaced with a removable slide tube & bar assembly.

Maverick88forearm.JPG

Removable slide tube & bar assembly

Mossberg500slidebars.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Kodiak said:
If you see this, you have a pinned forend. Note, it can be replaced with a removable slide tube & bar assembly.

Maverick88forearm.JPG

Removable slide tube & bar assembly

Mossberg500slidebars.jpg

:shock: When did that start pinning my police styled forends!!! :evil: This makes me very unhappy!

Any way... I'm gonna disagree only on identifying the shotgun, otherwise I agree. I believe the shotgun has the 590 magazine tube/barrel configuration. Other than that, I agree with LES in that youd have to have the part number to be certain... I'm hazarding a guess at sayin it looks like a few differnt models that are called 500's but have the 590 magazine/barrel.

Yeah, I'm with you on the 590 thing.

I noticed the mag cap too, but didn't want to start any further confusion. It's wierd, even Mossberg's website lists models with this very same barrel and mag tube set-up as model 500s. This seems to be consistent on all the 500 models with the heavy walled breacher barrels. Only one way to tell for sure.

UBG,

If you turn the shotgun upside down there will be a model number on the bottom of the receiver just in front of the shell elevator. Is yours stamped 500 or 590?

Ahh yes... good point on the roll mark! And OFM is def weird and confusing at best on the way part numbers are assigned to their shotguns.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
If you turn the shotgun upside down there will be a model number on the bottom of the receiver just in front of the shell elevator. Is yours stamped 500 or 590?

When I wrote the original post I was at work and didn't have access, but it does say 500a on the bottom.

I went ahead and purchased this forend, has anyone had any experience with it, or possibly have pictures of it installed?
Command Arms Triple rail forend
4fd5664d.jpg

BTW - anyone want the original forend with strap in mint condition gets it shipped conus overnight FedEx $45 PayPal - it's in perfect condition!

Those are much like the forends OFM is installing on their tri rail models.

I know there are some on here... maybe start with pic threads like 590's and 500's?

Thank you for posting the pictures. That really clears it up for me. I got my 500 (brand new), back in May and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to swap out the forend. I have the "Field/Security Combo" with the wood stock and forend. A lot of the forends I've looked at have the following note: "Tri-Rail forend will not fit Post 2008 Mossberg 500 series (pinned action bar)". So, I was glad to see that this isn't a problem for me.

Back