• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590A1 Has Grease Spots on Exterior

TNSAF

.22LR
Hello All,

I've shot firearms most of my adult life but have recently become an actual owner for the first time and chose a Mossberg 590A1 as my first gun. It's the 18.5 inch, 6-shot version with adjustable stock. So buying a gun for the first time, maybe this is normal and maybe not, I don't know, but my 590A1 has what appear to be some grease spots around the receiver. Is this normal? How do I get these grease spots off, they are ugly as hell. lol. Thanks for your help.

First off, welcome aboard!

Did you just pull the shotgun outta the box? They ship from the factory with a lot of grease inside and out. My 590a1 came from the factory caked in crud, but after a good field strip and detailed cleaning it was truly a beautiful sight to behold.

If you haven't already field stripped yours, take her apart, give her some TLC and you'll have one helluva fine weapon ready for a fun day at the range...

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I did just take it right out of the box. I still have yet to field strip it as I haven't bought cleaning supplies yet. What would I buy to get these spots off of the exterior of the receiver?

I'm a big fan of Break Free CLP and Powder Blast.

Both can be picked up at your local WalMart and will work wonders on your shotgun. Once you get her field stripped, thoroughly clean all the internals, removing all the shipping grease and crud. Be sure to pick up some gun oil for lubricating the moving parts after you've cleaned them. Hoppes #9 has always worked well for me.

Yes Sir,

I use the CLP on the inside and outside of my 590a1. You can use a toothbrush to scrub the outside of the weapon and it won't harm the park'd finish...

And I'm assuming that it should be an actual toothbrush (meant for people, lol) not a copper or wire brush, right? So based on your advice, I guess I'll get some CLP and spray down the outside, toothbrush the grease spots, and wipe it all down with a cloth, and that should take care of it?

Actually I tried to post a picture of the gun with my original post but it said it wouldn't accept the format or something. I'll try again though.

Sounds like you are in good hands here. You know what works all the oil into the gun after cleaning? Taking it to the range! :lol:

Congrats on the new purchase!

Thanks Guys, I just didn't know if I'd be able to get those ugly grease spots off. I guess they'll just disappear after following the steps above.

TNSAF!!! Welcome to MO!

LES has ya goin the right way! Same stuff I use on my 590A1! ;) Once its oiled up, I usually have some oil comin back out of it, and then there are spots on it again. I never worried too much about it, but you can def get the spots out though!

When youre able to invest in a cleaning kit, something else I highly recommend is a 12 ga. boresnake! Its small and light, and can be rolled up into a pack. That combined with a small spray bottle of Hoppes cleaner or CLP is enough to swab the barrel clean at the range or field should you ever need it!

I dont often clean my guns anyway though and have had only one of my Mossbergs jam, but that was due to tryin to cycle a good size piece of field grass from the cow pasture through it.

The boresnake sounds like a good idea. With that I'm guessing I would spray the hoppes or the CLP (is one better than the other) down the barrel and then run the boresnake through it. Is this right? If so, how many times does the boresnake need to be pulled through? Do I need to drag a cleaning patch through afterwards or does the snake do a complete brushing and wiping job? Also, I'm guessing I spray the CLP or #9 down the barrel from the end of the barrel, correct? Thanks guys and sorry if these are dumb Q's, lol. Never cleaned a gun before and want to do a good job.

Back