New 88, first impressions.

Discussion in 'Maverick 88 Pump Action' started by Greg B, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Greg B

Greg B .410

Picked up my new 12ga 88 on Friday. Took it to the range this morning.
    First, ran everything flawlessly. Although I was only shooting Federal target loads and my home rolled, re-purposed slug loads (thanks, John A, for getting me started down that road).
    Second, running a pump after spending time using a semi is a lot of extra work.
    Third, I think I need to reduce the LOP, not that the reach to the trigger is bad. But more to shorten the reach to the forend, I think that will go a long way towards making the gun more fun to shoot.
    And finally, I really need to change the forend out to something a bit more comfortable to grip.
    All in all, I am very happy with the gun, but I think I just need to personalize it a bit.
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  2. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Congrats on your new Mav 88!!

How were those LEE reloads doing for ya?
  3. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .223

88 is a fine weapon...congrats!
  4. Greg B

Greg B .410

The slug loads are great. Wish I was a little better at putting them in the center of the target though. :)
    And that reminds me, I'm down to my last box, so I'd better get to casting more soon.
  5. 1winnen

1winnen .410

Congrats on your new 88. I put a Hogue Overmold on mine but there are some things you need to check if you want to change the current forearm. 1) Is it a 1 or 2 piece forearm and 2) what is the length of the slide tube i.e. 6.5"-6.75" or 7.5"? First if it's a 1 piece you'll have to replace both the forearm AND slide tube. If it's the 6.5-6.75" tube you'll also need the longer nut. Go to Hogue website.
    Brksanman likes this.