• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930 Owner

WNCmotard

.270 WIN
Supporter
I went and looked and handled some different guns in my price range, and the 930 was the closest in terms of fit for me. I also got a good price on the two barrel combo setup, about $60 off MSRP and I purchased the lifetime warranty from Bud's also.

As usual, a complete tear down was the first order of business. Thanks to you guys, and the OR3GUN team, I knew what to look for. I completely tore it down, cleaned all the factory goop out of there, lightly lubed what needed it, made sure my gas piston rings were 180 out, de-burred by recoil spring and plunger, and polished the chamber using a bore mop and rod chucked into my cordless drill on low speed, and some JB bore bright. I also put in the .250 drop stock shim as out of the box it was just a tad high for me, and it fits like a glove now. Anxious to go bust some clays Saturday!

From this
ubU05kb.jpg

To this
aNcRrcq.jpg

18.5" setup
InOJoJy.jpg

28" setup (have a white bead on order, not crazy about the fiber optic front)
NUjVlS0.jpg

Nice. Love my 930. Even been thinking of picking up a field model with the nicer finish and wood hardware.

Thanks guys, haven't owned a shotgun in years, and never a semi auto so provided mine runs well, I'll be very happy with it. Got a couple things I missed last night after some further reading that I'll go back and do this evening also.

Really, with a good cleaning you'll have no problems with it. All of those little polishing tricks and things of that nature will play a very minor role in the gun's performance. Especially if you're just shooting 200rds breaking clays or shooting 10 rds out hunting.

Figured I'd come back and give an after action report on the new 930.

Got together with some friends to shoot a couple boxes of clay pigeons over the weekend. So I obviously ran the 28" barrel first up. I was shooting cheap wally world Federal 7.5 shot low velocity target ammo. I had one failure to feed in the first few mags, and the gun ran like a champ after that. And with the .250 drop spacer, once I got warmed up, it was dead on for me.

After that I swapped to the 18.5" barrel for some fun. Supposedly the low velocity target ammo is the nemesis of any short barreled gas semi auto. But I'm happy to repot that my 930 will run through mag dumps with the cheap stuff as fast as you can fan the trigger, not one hiccup. I also tested out some of the Fedral flight control 00 buck and was highly impressed with it. Around 1.5" groups at 20yds out of the smoothbore barrel, very impressive.

Full disclosure, my Glock choked on a round too, and that's the first time ever, and I mean EVER. It was also running the cheap Federal red box stuff at the time. Coincidence or ammo QC issues?

The one shell that failed to feed in the 930 had two score marks in the plastic that matched the lifter ramps exactly. So when I brought it home I tore it down and my lifter had a couple small raised rough spots left over from machining. So I carefully filed those down to match the rest of the profile of the rails, radiused any sharp corners, then proceeded to polish the whole lifter while I was at it to make reloads quicker and easier and hopefully make feeding smoother as well.

I couldn't be happier overall though. I ran 80 rounds through it and had one issue with cheapo ammo on a brand new not broken in gun. It fits me perfectly also. I've always heard that an ill fitting shotgun is what casues bruising of the shoulder, and my Dad's Benelli always left me black and blue for a couple days. Not that I cared or it hurt mind you, but the 930 doesn't do it, not one mark. Can't wait to go back out!

Lifter all done

Yic0Hpa.jpg

And a short vid with the 18.5" barrel and the cheap stuff.

My light mount and Meprolight front bead showed up today, so I got those installed. Took some time to get the bead to index properly, but it's good and the washer I had to add under it works well with the drop shim in the stock with the non vent rib 18.5 barrel. I took the light off my AR, Viking tactics VTAC light mount with a Foursevens Maelstrom. It's weapon rated, 350 lumens OTF, and has seen time on the AR and held up fine, but I may swap it out for a Streamlight TLR in the future though, simply because it's smaller and more streamlined. I have the light programmed for high or strobe, currently set in strobe mode, and the thumb button falls just where it should for me.

zW9srhs.jpg

oTWeKDs.jpg

Tried to get a shot of Meprolight bead, tough to do, bit it works well.

7euqnv6.jpg

Back