• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930SPX - is this normal? (pics included)

MilSpec229

Copper BB
Hello all! Glad I found this great website filled with knowledgable shotgun owners. I was hoping you can help me out with a few questions.

1. I just picked up my 930SPX and field stripped it for a thorough cleaning. I noticed small metal shavings after I pulled the barrel from the receiver and noticed this:
6976992238_683021bc42_b.jpg

7123074359_fc600c5225_b.jpg

I did practice loading but I haven't fired it yet. Normal wear?

2. I picked up some Federal Premium 2 3/4 00 buck and Winchester Ranger 2 3/4 00 buck low recoil. I'm only able to load 6 rounds in the magizine with the Federal and 5 rounds with the Winchester. Anyone use the ammo above and successfully get 7 in the magizine?

3. If I don't press the bolt release button firmly the bolt jams on the elevator. I understand now how to avoid the jam, but wondering if this normal.

4. I got a VTAC padded sling. What's the best way to mount it to the SPX? Use of the sling studs?

Thanks for the help! Look forward to joining the community.

Hello,
I too use a VTAC padded sling. While there are many options for mounting, my choice at the rear was going with the VTAC buttstock adapter to get the proper hang of the weapon when going hands free when utilizing a forward diagonal carry. This adapter also allows you to use all of the many other carry positions as well. At the front I selected a Ellezta ZSM mount with quick detach swivel on one side for the sling and a quick disconnect on the other side for my flashlight set up. One reason I went with the Elzetta system was that I knew I was going to transition from a first generation light barrel to a 3rd generation heavy barrel and the Elzetta mount being polymer could conform to either dimension. This mount also serves as a barrel and mag tube clamp as well.
Welcome aboard...

It's. Not the ammunition. It's the Choate magazine tube. I know it seems like I have to say this every other post. But I'll say it again. The very first thing any SPX or SPB owner absolutely. Must do is lose the Choate extention. Preferably replaced with the Nordic extention. A high tension Wolff spring isn't a bad idea either.

Do not buy any other "look cool" stuff before this one absolutely nesessary modification.

As for the sling. I like the GG&G single point sling plate. Combined with a TAG CQC single point sling.

Mylastrook said:
It's. Not the ammunition. It's the Choate magazine tube. I know it seems like I have to say this every other post. But I'll say it again. The very first thing any SPX or SPB owner absolutely. Must do is lose the Choate extention. Preferably replaced with the Nordic extention. A high tension Wolff spring isn't a bad idea either.

Do not buy any other "look cool" stuff before this one absolutely nesessary modification.

As for the sling. I like the GG&G single point sling plate. Combined with a TAG CQC single point sling.

Read your recommendation on other posts. I'll go ahead and order the Nordic. Recommend I get the complete kit? Also, do I use the Wolff with the Nordic?

SeaScout said:
Hello,
I too use a VTAC padded sling. While there are many options for mounting, my choice at the rear was going with their buttstock adapter to get the proper hang of the weapon when going hands free when utilizing a forward diagonal carry. This adapter also allows you to use all of the many other carry positions as well. At the front I selected a Ellezta ZSM mount with quick detach swivel on one side for the sling and a quick disconnect on the other side for my flashlight set up. One reason I went with the Elzetta system was that I knew I was going to transition from a first generation light barrel to a 3rd generation heavy barrel and the Elzetta mount being polymer could conform to either dimension. This mount also serves as a barrel and mag tube clamp as well.
Welcome aboard...

Thanks for the welcome. I'll look into the Elzetta.

Back