• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy saying "Hi"

Bob811

.22LR
Hello to all - - A gently-aged "senior" guy checking in. :oldman:
I'm a retired career LEO recently re-located from the SE U.S. to the Pacific NW, to be nearer family. I'm not new to scatter guns, having used 12 gaugers most of my career (Rem 870's & Winch 1200's - but NO Mossbergs). Until recently my personal "closet gun" was a 12 ga, but my old and creaking joints were suffering from the kick, so I decided to drop down to 20 ga. Local FFL's being empty of good used shotguns I went onto GB and managed to pick up a really nice "Western Field" (Montgomery Wards) M550CR 20 ga for a decent price. The gun bore no manufacturers marks at all (!) so before making an offer on it, I determined its heritage thanks to this site >http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html < and, TA-DA - here I am, :rolleye: the proud owner of what turned out to be a Mossberg 500. For its age the gun was well cared for and minimally used. Bright shiny bore - no rust/corrosion - mostly scratch/dent free wood and only a little wear showing on the bluing. It has a 26" bbl with a C-lect choke on it, and the original magazine plug was still in place.
I subscribe to every site specific to the make of gun I own, and I'll probably mainly just be a 'lurker' here. I find that most of what I learn is from current and previous posts and from the to-and-fro among the members. Anything I'd like to know or ask (especially about older pieces) has usually already been covered, or will be, eventually.
My current quandary is; This will replace an 18" 12 ga 870 as my "closet gun" and since it's a mass-production gun of relatively minimal overall value, what say you about the advisability of shortening the barrel to a more manageable length, say 20"+/- (???) and sacrificing a few inches of barrel and the built-in C-lect choke??
I'm happy to be "eligible' to join the group, and thanx in advance for any feedback. :thanks:
Bob G. .

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.

Thank you for your service!

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.

Thank you for your service!
Thanx Ol' Mossy - - When I said I moved here from the SE U.S. to be more specific about it - - - we actually moved here from St. Pete. !! Hope you are avoiding any of the "tropical storm" currently coming up the Gulf!

Looking at our data base it look's to be a 1971.
Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll add them to our data base.

Welcome Bob811.

Just because we are a "mossberg owners" forum, doesn't mean that's all we're about. I doubt you'll find a more diverse group anywhere. We're gun guys. Like guns. Shoot guns. Use guns. You won't find any undeserved brand bashing here. We would have been just as happy if you had written that you just bought a used Winchester or Remington or Ithaca or some unknown import as long as it was a good gun.

You'll also find several other retired LEO/MIL members here. Matter of fact, much of the active members have served at one time or another, so you'll fit in just fine if you stick around. There's something here for everyone.

OK, to answer your question about chopping the barrel, I say chop away. It's your gun, it needs to do what you need it to do. And I agree that having 6 or 8 extra inches of barrel sticking out is unnecessary and a handicap to you for HD.

So, you can chop the barrel, buy a new bead from ebay and a small drill bit and tap to match whatever thread bead you get. For HD/SD, I personally prefer a really fat bead. They are much faster on target than a small tiny bead. My eye just picks them up very quickly and you don't have to guess where you're aiming.

Further, if it bothers you to lose the choke, you can always rent a reamer and thread the chopped barrel for screw in chokes, but isn't necessary for slugs and buckshot at all.

I chopped the barrel on a used mossberg 500 12 gauge recently for much of the same reason, though it was for protection from bears and mountain lions while checking a trail camera on our families property.

I did thread it for a screw in choke though. But, not because I had to. Only because I wanted to be able to use the short barrel for anything.

aCWqsEn.jpg

hd4zsAi.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg owners forum, Officer Bob (retired). We need more war stories, and I sure ain’t writing them.

I too am retired, but I was a keyboard jockey. Before there were keyboards I was a slipstick jockey.

A shop foreman wanted to punch me once, but I typically faced the greatest professional danger from paper cuts and takeout food.

Anyhow, thanks for joining.

Welcome Officer, think you'll find this place populated with both career military and law enforcement veterans.

Guns to me are tools and tools should be modified if required to fit the job at hand. I'd chop it off in steps until you find the right combination.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Regards

Welcome Bob811.

Just because we are a "mossberg owners" forum, doesn't mean that's all we're about. I doubt you'll find a more diverse group anywhere. We're gun guys. Like guns. Shoot guns. Use guns. You won't find any undeserved brand bashing here. We would have been just as happy if you had written that you just bought a used Winchester or Remington or Ithaca or some unknown import as long as it was a good gun.

You'll also find several other retired LEO/MIL members here. Matter of fact, much of the active members have served at one time or another, so you'll fit in just fine if you stick around. There's something here for everyone.

OK, to answer your question about chopping the barrel, I say chop away. It's your gun, it needs to do what you need it to do. And I agree that having 6 or 8 extra inches of barrel sticking out is unnecessary and a handicap to you for HD.

So, you can chop the barrel, buy a new bead from ebay and a small drill bit and tap to match whatever thread bead you get. For HD/SD, I personally prefer a really fat bead. They are much faster on target than a small tiny bead. My eye just picks them up very quickly and you don't have to guess where you're aiming.

Further, if it bothers you to lose the choke, you can always rent a reamer and thread the chopped barrel for screw in chokes, but isn't necessary for slugs and buckshot at all.

I chopped the barrel on a used mossberg 500 12 gauge recently for much of the same reason, though it was for protection from bears and mountain lions while checking a trail camera on our families property.

I did thread it for a screw in choke though. But, not because I had to. Only because I wanted to be able to use the short barrel for anything.

aCWqsEn.jpg

hd4zsAi.jpg

Thanx for your welcome and the words of advice. you've got a nice looking gun - set up with a sidesaddle like my former 12 was.
I was simply hesitant to 'deface' what was once somebody else's (probably treasured) hunting piece. In the final analysis tho it will be a 'tool' - and I probably will get it shortened (maybe even take a crack at a DIY job). If I don't get the muzzle squared up, THEN I can always take it to someone with a better eye (and tools) than I've got. It's missing its front bead and I simply ordered a fiber optic front sight that I can mount atop the ridge, whether it gets shortened or not. I'll post a pic of the finished product when done. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mossberg owners forum, Officer Bob (retired). We need more war stories, and I sure ain’t writing them.

I too am retired, but I was a keyboard jockey. Before there were keyboards I was a slipstick jockey.

A shop foreman wanted to punch me once, but I typically faced the greatest professional danger from paper cuts and takeout food.

Anyhow, thanks for joining.

Thanx for the welcome Caddman! I spent part of my career behind a desk myself (actually a radio console) having served as a dispatcher for about 3 years early in my career. The guys on the street couldn't 'get 'er done' without the support personnel behind them!!!

Welcome Officer, think you'll find this place populated with both career military and law enforcement veterans.

Guns to me are tools and tools should be modified if required to fit the job at hand. I'd chop it off in steps until you find the right combination.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Regards

Thanx for the comeback Ernst - I incorporated your thought into my reply to John (see above) - in the end it IS a tool and I'll get that extra 6 inches taken off to see that it fits my need.

Back