• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New HD shotgun load

Check out HEVI-Duty

The new load is available in #4 buckshot 30 pellet, and 12 pellet OO buck,12 gauge 2-3/4” 1250 fps,. It is designed for full stopping power yet to not over penetrate walls. The problem with using lead buckshot inside your home is that it will carry through several rooms.

The composition is a proprietary blend of metals that we own the patent on. It is frangible (retains its shape when encased in liquid such as soft tissue and bone, yet returns back to its original powder form when coming into contact with hard surfaces such as rock, concrete or steel). It is available in a 5 round box with a MSRP of $8.99. Since we don’t dictate what dealers sell it for it will vary from location to location.

intertasding....

Any videos up on this bad boy? Patterns from 10, 15, 25 feet from barrels from 18" - 24"

Would be greatly interested in seeing this demo.

I like the box!
I bet if they got rid of the nice gimmicky box though, the price could be $5.99/5 lol

May be worth grabbing a box for the ammo crate :)

I'll try to get a vid posted up ASAP. A lot is going on right now on the waterfowl side with the early Teal seasons right around the corner. Busy,busy,busy!

Dick's Sporting goods is one place these shells can be found on shelves right now, with other stores following

Tom396 said:
Someone needs to alert Nick Burkhardt. Take care. Tom Worthington

After I loaded 8 rounds of Hornady LE 00 into the 590 this morning, I decided to be a responsible gun owner and go with a bean bag in the chamber... I'll aim for the groin first so he's on his knees for the other 8 shells ;)

Wrenches said:
I don't buy it. If it hit the bone it'll powderize just like any other hard surface.

My thoughts as well... what about thick clothing such as a leather jacket or heavy cotton?

LOL! Poor old Nick is catching it on this thread.
It is interesting to see how through the years we have tried to keep the destructive power of bullets and shotgun shells intact while making it less destructive at the same time. At some point, when are people going to realize that they have to practice and become proficient with their chosen weapon? The best way to mitigate liability in a defensive shooting is to hit your target hard and decisively with the first shot.

TrophyTracker said:
Check out HEVI-Duty

The new load is available in #4 buckshot 30 pellet, and 12 pellet OO buck,12 gauge 2-3/4” 1250 fps,. It is designed for full stopping power
When I see "stopping power" I tend to start questioning the writer's comprehension of terminal ballistics.
yet to not over penetrate walls. The problem with using lead buckshot inside your home is that it will carry through several rooms.
Yet, has the benefit of also carrying into and through the intended target.
The composition is a proprietary blend of metals that we own the patent on.
Without getting into trade secrets such as proportions, etc, what are these metals?
It is frangible
Which has yet to be proven as an effective fight stopper in any other projectile.
(retains its shape when encased in liquid such as soft tissue and bone,
Wait, what? Bone is liquid? Soft tissue is liquid?
yet returns back to its original powder form when coming into contact with hard surfaces such as rock, concrete or steel).
Rock, concrete, and steel. Who is the intended market here?
It is available in a 5 round box with a MSRP of $8.99. Since we don’t dictate what dealers sell it for it will vary from location to location.
8.99 for 5. Hmm.
Do you have any independent testing of these?
Do you have any technical studies of these loads?
Have these been accepted for actual duty use in any large LE departments/agencies?

Sound like the same claim I hear from RBCD as they're also frangible. They have video of it which seems pretty impressive shooting into water jugs and clay. Still they don't have penetration as required by the FBI but they create some nasty wound channels.

It's possible they could be man stoppers because they're gonna hurt and bleed like hell too. I've read somewhere about the foreign guards using it on their enemies and said that they are impressed with it.

I still say there's no one shot stoppers (beside the shotgun and deer rifle) but a multiple shots from frangibles will definitely waste 'em.

Wrenches said:
Sound like the same claim I hear from RBCD as they're also frangible. They have video of it which seems pretty impressive shooting into water jugs and clay. Still they don't have penetration as required by the FBI but they create some nasty wound channels.

RBCD has been debunked in professional circles.

I suppose frangible has it's uses, but to be perfectly honest I'll probably never buy any. I have enough trouble trying to keep track of all the options available for standard ammo just for my guns. JHP, FMJ, Keith, WC, round nose, flat nose, ballistic tip, different bullet weights and velocities, a few dozen different shotgun shell configurations, just to mention a few. It wears me out. I really don't think I could handle any more bright ideas. ;) :D

Clay and water jugs are pretty much worthless in terms of terminal ballistics. RBCD has been exposed, their claims do not match real world results, their "exotic metals" turned out to be standard projo jackets, and they are not taken seriously by anybody in the field of terminal ballistics.
Those videos show nothing except how they perform in clay and water. Great if you are attacked by blocks of clay or water jugs, but that's it.

neither would I, not at the price they're asking, they make 'em here where I live. Blended metal is BS when it's just a lead pellet and a plastic ball inside a copper shell. The only advantage I see as with any light weight bullet is the hyper velocity.

What I saw in the video is the explosive nature of the round but no penetration. I did not buy that the ball round did not go through the truck door. A ball ammo will go through more than a hollow point or a frangible.

The projos are just varmint projos with whatever they put in them. The fast/light gets you some high velocities, but with no mass there is no inertia to push tissue out of the way. If the round penetrates at all, it results in surface wounds only and does not hit any kind of effective depth.

Back