• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Shotgun Owner

Bert Greeley

Copper BB
I just bought two Mossburgs. One is the 930 two-barrel set (for me), the other is a 505 Youth. I'm not buying for my kid - my wife is small, and that shotgun fits her.
I'm looking for a reloading press that will handle both sizes of shells. Any ideas? I bought a MEC Sizemaster, but I'm not impressed with it.

Welcome from MI!!

The 930 Rocks!!

What don't you like about the press?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

The MEC is the better built of the available options.

The only other one is the Lee Load All2. It is a little more straightforward between the two.

I'm not sure what you mean by handling both sizes of shell. 12 gauge and 20 gauge? 2-3/4 or 3" shells? Or are you referring to something else that's going over me head?

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your ne Mossy's.

The Lee LoadAll is so inexpensive that you should buy two rather than change over the parts in order to do different gages.

You have to buy a kit for each gauge and what you end up with is different parts that you disassemble and reassemble the whole press from.

It's such a pain to do that I bought two of these to avoid it and I got them for about $50 each plus tax and shipping.

If you were unimpressed with the construction of the Mec, you will be also with the construction of the lee.

I tore mine apart and tuned them up and reassembled them on a reinforced base, before they worked really well.

I have loaded hundreds of shells on these presses and they do work, and they're not slow once you get the hang of it.

But they are definitely The Bargain Basement reloading press of all time from what I can see. You really do get what you pay for in this case.

But again once I tuned mine up & they worked okay, and I've loaded lots of successful shells.

Something I never realized until I started doing it though is you just don't load Buckshot from a loader.

I pack them in there with the tweezers by hand. Everything goes in just so like eggs in a crate.

If you do skeet shells you can drop them puppies quick.

But if you want to do good skeet shells you going to spend a lot of time weighing to get your rounds as consistent as absolutely possible.

I'm loading for three purposes. Fun shooting, target practice, and Home Defense. If you're a hunter well you need to talk to somebody else for sure. I really don't know all the secrets to that.

:cheers:
Howdy Bert, welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
ripjack13

:welcome:

Bert, Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Welcome to MO from North of the 49th!

Answere to all:
First: The MEC has a Rube Goldberg-like mechanism for loading the primer. And, it's driven off the last spot on the rotation, which means you have to have some round in there to even load the primer on the first reload. Plus I don't see any adaption for loading other gauges.
Second: THe 930 is in 12 gauge and the Youth is in 410. Sorry, I thought I put that in the first post. In re-reading it I realize I left that out.
Third: I've been told that Lee in any reloading isn't the best quality. I already reload several pistol/rifle rounds on a RCBS Jr 2. It's more expensive, but the only problems have turned out to be learning-curve issues. Too bad RCBS doesn't make 12 ga dies.
Fourth: We plan to shoot mostly skeet and/or target. With the rifled barrel on the 930 I mean to try sabot rounds on the rifle range, but, again, fun shooting. I MAY try hunting, but only if my leg situation improves. Hunting on a walker is an oxymoron.

OK, I blew it. My wife didn't get a 505 Youth, she got a 510 Minni. And boy, is it!!! It's in 410, and overall it's only 34.75" long! It reminds me of the toy rifle I had when about 8 yrs old - the cut 2x6 stock and the steel tube "barrel". It weighs about 3 lbs.

Back