• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to me MVP Preditor

VATom

Copper BB
I have been looking for a lighter weight .223 bolt action rifle, a Remington Model 7 caught my eye when a fellow offered me a Mossberg MVP Predator as part of a trade package. I did some research and took his deal, he fired 40 rounds thru it, came with a mounted Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10X50 scope, and a never fired Glock 42 to boot. I loaded some test ammo yesterday and am looking forward to a range trip latter this week.
This is my first Mossberg and so far I am impressed with it.

I have been looking for a lighter weight .223 bolt action rifle, a Remington Model 7 caught my eye when a fellow offered me a Mossberg MVP Predator as part of a trade package. I did some research and took his deal, he fired 40 rounds thru it, came with a mounted Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10X50 scope, and a never fired Glock 42 to boot. I loaded some test ammo yesterday and am looking forward to a range trip latter this week.
This is my first Mossberg and so far I am impressed with it.
Good luck with her. I love mine!

First trip to the range it shot well when it fired, after a few rounds it started to misfire, the sear released and the cocked bolt indicator would move forward but no mark on the primer, sometime simply recocking the bolt would work other times a complete cycle stripping a new round out of the mag. My first thought was since I bought this used and am the third owner the previous guys passed off a problem gun.
At home I found a U Tube video on stripping down the bolt which I did, gave the parts a blasting of brake clean, inspected it and found no defects, lightly lubed and reassembled.
Next trip to the range, 53 consecutive shots without a misfire, my guess is that there was some gunk inside the bolt that occasionally impeded the firing pin movement.

Pics or it didnt happen!!!!

I had a complete failure to function with a 930 when I bought it new. The cause was too much shipping grease in the action that gelled in the cold weather.

Since then the first thing I do with any gun I buy, new or used, is clean them thoroughly and lube appropriately for the weather and conditions I will be shooting. I am admittedly not big on cleaning guns and will often push mine for many 1000's of rounds between cleaning (i do keep them lubed) but I do clean new ones.

Congrats on the new gun, it should serve you well.

Back