• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Waterfowl Load from Hevi-Shot

Hey gang,

In the other forum I posted up a thread showing a new load that will be out in stores starting in July called SPEED BALL by Hevi-Shot. I'll post it up again so everyone can check it out, and know a little about it when the time comes to gear up for the season ahead
Speedball_3Drendering_flat.jpg

SpeedBall.jpg

Here is a cut-away of the shell. It has three major innovations:

1. Speed Ball? ? an elastomeric ball in the base of the wad that accelerates pellets without boosting chamber pressures (patent pending).

2. MV? pellet that sits in the base of the shell ? copper-clad, steel-core pellets that are Heavier Than Steel? but with a soft, dense outer copper layer fuzed to the steel, metallurgically. This gives us about 22 times the copper thickness of copper-plated lead or steel; you just can't get this kind of copper thickness without the proprietary technology we're using. The copper raises the density of the pellet. Patent pending. Copper plating puts a copper coating on the pellet that is roughly 1/6 of the thickness of a sheet of paper.

3. HEVI-Shot layer on top. 6 existing patents.

So we use the layer technology of HEVI-Metal, the density of Heavier Than Lead? and Heavier Than Steel?, and the new Speed Ball? technology to get really fast speeds safely.

The benefits to the hunter:

Higher pellet counts in the 30-inch circle than you get with HEVI-Shot.

Nearly matches the lethal energy of HEVI-Shot, pellet size for pellet size, out to 60 yards (but far exceeds the energy of anything else).

Cheaper than HEVI-Shot, more than $1/shell cheaper.

Product Pellet Speed (fps) Pellets in 30" Circle Energy (ft-lbs)

At 40 yards

12-ga., 3", 1.25 oz BB 1635 90 886

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 1 1635 120 808

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 3 1635 167 722

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 5 1635 245 630

The product will also come in 12-ga., 3.5", 1.5 oz, 1650 fps rounds in BB, 1, 3, and 5.

Are you experiencing some production/delivery delays, Chad? Seems like July is practically over and Cabelas is still showing pre/backorder status. What are your marketing/assemply/packaging/distribution people saying?

I'm also more than a little curious how your test market reacted to the price of $3 per shell.

HEVI-Shot will introduce our new shot shell "SPEED BALL" to the lucky state of Nevada first, then the remaining states heading East, until every state is covered. There was a situation in June with the packaging due to a complete overhaul of the design that set it back some. I'm expecting the status to be changed across the board within two weeks. Cabela's should be sooner due to how close their main warehouse is to the Nevada in the scheme of things.

As far as the price goes, it isn't a big surprise. There are those that believe it's extreme. I can understand that fully. The same issue came up in Turkey season when the HTL loads all started going up 40%. The price of Tungsten, which is a key ingredient went up to $28 per lb in the World Metal Mkt. This price is set in London, and is like the Stock Mkt. Environmetals, and the other mfgs have to work around that price and cover overhead. 70% of the price of a box of shells is in the raw materials.

With the Turkey loads,many started shooting lead again, and understood their limitations. $30+ for a box of 5 shells is hard to swallow, but when you factor in the fact of one shot, one Kill, the value becomes clear. We work very hard to keep the price down as much as possible. When the WMM prices go down, so will the price of the shells.

SPEED BALL IS SHIPPING!! First shipments leaving today and are going to:

Mack's Prairie Wings - 877-622-5729
Cabela's - 800-237-4444
Presley's Outdoors - 309-697-1193
Simmons Sporting Goods - 800-726-9930
Rogers Sporting Goods - 816-883-4500

Back