• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nitro Turkey Loads

honkey

.270 WIN
I had heard before that the recoil was bad with these, but I wanted to experience it for myself. 3 days later and my shoulder still hurts and is pretty badly bruised. It actually hurts just to throw baseballs for my dog. Is there anything with worse recoil in a shotgun than Nitro Turkey Loads? I think I must be holding the shotgun incorrectly in some way, because I can't imagine anyone shooting these on a regular basis.

How you positioned (stance, etc) when you fired the gun?

I think you probably just need to learn the correct stance and proper shouldering technique. I can help make that happen when we next meet up. You'll see that it kicks, but not so much that it leaves you sore.

What kind of turkey loads were they, Remington 2-oz or what?

I am pretty sure they were Remmington. It cMe from. The box that you gave me actually. I only shot one. I was standing with my right foot back and I tried to keep my weight on my front foot, but I think it was more 50-50. My brother in law (a big guy) also shot one and he said the same thing. I still haven't brewed (hopefully I will do three batches next week) but I would love to meet up again soon. I do have some "extreme" beers I could probably give you if you are into that kind of thing. They have been aging for a year and a half and I haven't even sampled them.

honkey~ Was the shotgun empty other than loading one round into it? If so, adding more weight by filling the magazine tube full takes much of the punch out of it. Right elbow high helps a bunch, too!

There were two rounds and my right elbow would have been in a relaxed position. Definitely not high.

Remington 3 inch nitro mags do have some kick to them.

My uncle always told me they kill on both ends :lol:

But I dont' think you notice it as much if you're actually shooting at something (like a turkey or duck while hunting).

Any heavy turkey/waterfowl load will beat the heck out of you. Guns with polymer stocks are the worst as they are much lighter than wood. Try using more of a push pull technique when shooting heavy loads.

Here is a good demo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

If all else fails you can use some type of lead sled or vise when patterning or sighting in those heavy loads.

I've never really noticed recoil much in the field.

MikeD said:

honkey, you can take this as gospel. Range shooting is where it seems harsh, not elsewhere where your eyes are on the prize.

MikeD said:
Any heavy turkey/waterfowl load will beat the heck out of you. Guns with polymer stocks are the worst as they are much lighter than wood. Try using more of a push pull technique when shooting heavy loads.

Here is a good demo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

If all else fails you can use some type of lead sled or vise when patterning or sighting in those heavy loads.

I think you have posted that video before and I never watched it since I had a bad internet connection at the time and it wouldn't load. I'll keep this in mind next time.

nitesite said:
MikeD said:

honkey, you can take this as gospel. Range shooting is where it seems harsh, not elsewhere where your eyes are on the prize.

That is good to know... I am hoping to go on my first hunt this month. My brother and I have been talking about hog hunting for a long time now.

I was just going to suggest the same thing Mike did. Also if you don't already have one....get a slip on "Limbsaver" pad. Not the pachmyer....
It's amazing......

Back