• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

non lethal ammo question

dog229

.22LR
Dog229 Here,
When using either rubber ball or beanbag ammo does having the barrel forcing cone and back bored help with better point of impact out to 25 feet. I have problems with wild dogs on my farm and would like to have a shotgun setup with only this type of ammo. Also, can it be used succesfully with a barrel that has had these mods done already and if you could do just one mod to your barrel which would it be - lengthing forcing cone - back bore - porting - choke installation
Dog229 Gone

wild dogs around here get lead. Is there a something restricting you ? seems like Vang Comp is meant for lead shot by not deforming the shot so you dont get flyers. I cant see spending the 280shipped just to shoot bean bags and rubber balls. Are you having accuracy issues with bean bags or rubber balls ?

Seems like overkill to me.

I'm all for live and let live as well, so if your intent is to scare them off without injury then a pellet gun would likely do the trick. Less-lethal ammunition is an expensive way to go about accomplishing your goal. Also, the bean bags or rubber balls would impact with enough force to break ribs, etc. and is not exactly the most humane way to deal with the problem.

I grew up having to chase dogs off of our horses and found that the noise alone from a 12ga round was enough to run them off. The old Daisy air rifle was a great back-up if physical puruasion became necessary. I never encountered a pooch that stood his ground after taking the a pellet in the @$$ with ten pumps of air behind it.

I wouldn't want to harm a dog either, being a dog owner myself...but, having said that...if these dogs are truly wild, they could be rabid or carry other diseases that could spread to your stock...in which case, putting 'em down is the only way to insure that they won't come back and infect your herd. You would be doing yourself, family, kids and even neighbors a favor. Scaring them off will only be temporary at best, increasing your chance of another run in.

Depending on how close you can get with your shotgun, you may even want to consider slugs over 00 buck. ( Also depending on how close the neighbors are to you...always be aware of what's behind the target !! ).

Just my 2 cents...

Shooter has a good point.

Are these dogs truly wild, or are they just neighborhood dogs runnin around in a pack harrassing your animals? My experience was with the latter.

He said wild dogs, I am assuming wild dogs. They fight or kill domesticated dogs, tear up trash and kill farm animals. Once they get a taste of trash, chickens, sheep, cats they don’t run off with noise or bow shots, rather just change their habits to get what they want. A clean kill is way more humane than non lethal bone breaking, internal bleeding or pellets or BB’s festering and infecting…..true wild dogs have a ruthless pack mentality in my experience here.

oli700 said:
He said wild dogs, I am assuming wild dogs. They fight or kill domesticated dogs, tear up trash and kill farm animals. Once they get a taste of trash, chickens, sheep, cats they don’t run off with noise or bow shots, rather just change their habits to get what they want. A clean kill is way more humane than non lethal bone breaking, internal bleeding or pellets or BB’s festering and infecting…..true wild dogs have a ruthless pack mentality in my experience here.

Yup. Up here in Washington we have problems with Packs. When most folks hear "wild dogs" you don't get the sense of the damage a full-on hunting pack of dogs can do. Repeatedly we get reports of packs "killing for fun". As in 5 dogs take out an entire flock with little evidence of natural predatory behavior. I guess you could call them "Fang-bangers" :evil:

I have to assume it ain't much of a problem if all you want to do is scare them.

We have wild dogs here too, stray isn't. Strong enough a word. They're at least as bad as coyotes but lack the natural fear of humans and dont know well enough to stay away. They get into chickens but far worse than coyotes, they will kil A LOT of chickens and leave em lay... coyotes kill what they'll eat and take it, generally. They wil also chalenge and kill domestic dogs as mentioned, and are a danger to children too.

Wild dogs get killed around here rather than injured. Many folks who will let someone hunt their property will ask for you to shoot the wild dogs if you see any.

There is actually an od couple "pack" of two dogs that roam the woods here, and are totally nonaggressive. One is a larger lab lookin mix and the other is a short legged basset hound thing... Therye kinda funny lookin to watch!

Oh, I too am a dog lover and seriously dislike killing animals that I can't use, but wildogs are a dangerand a problem.

Modifying the barrel won't impove any LL load. If its already done, fine but don't expect much because of it. Look at Lightfield Home Defender loads at Sportsmansguide.com or MidwayUSA.com and go for the HV Slug or NOVA-DR. The NOVA is the loudest thing ever to come out of a 12ga and proven many times to move bear, elk, deer and others from where they are not welcome. Basically a blank in steroids.

Back