1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Noob break in question, or two

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Joe Rand, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Joe Rand

Joe Rand .22LR

Handgun owner who has come over to the dark side! Got my first shotgun, Mossberg 590a1 Magpul, and a Beretta 1301 tactical on the way. These things are addicting.

Is there a recommended ammo to break the gun in? Round count? Or just shoot the snot out of it? Also, lube/clean before the first range visit?

Thrilled to be part of the family. Thanks in advance. Joe
  2. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah, just check the gun well and put some oil on the bolt and slide arms and shoot the snot out of it. Just shoot until you're confident that any little burrs or rough spots that may occur occasionally are smoothed out.

Any shells will work OK for that. I typically use whatever is cheap, plus those are usually handicap/low brass and don't kick as much. No reason to use 3 inch magnums that cost more than an out of town bus ticket.

Congratulations on the shotgun.
  3. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Is that a Silvertone Joe? :)

I'd give it a good once-over before going out.
    I've bought a few guns recently which had metal shavings in the action that weren't removed at the factory.
    Also check for rust inside the mag tube.
    I've bought a few tube-feed guns with rust inside the tube. It doesn't seem to get lubed.

Oil it thoroughly and blow it out completely, because the factory oil is often more of a preservative.
    Joe Rand likes this.
  4. Joe Rand

Joe Rand .22LR

CaddmannQ, nope it’s an Epiphone Granada circa 1964. My other addiction. My dad lent me the $200 to buy it and an ampeg amplifier. Took 2 years of paperboy earnings to pay him back. Springsteen had the same one. He went a little further with his guitar than me. Gibson made the exact same model, which would be worth at least a grand more, but I ain’t selling.

And for you young ‘uns a paperboy is someone who would deliver a newspaper to your house. And a newspaper is ... aw the heck with it. Hey you kids get off my lawn.
  5. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

LOL . . . in 1968-69 I had the entire Duluth AFB as my route, and it was the biggest paper route in Duluth, so I won lots of prizes selling subscriptions.

I had an old Silvertone much like that but not electric, until I modded it. Gave it to my kids.

I have a nice old Gibson jazz guitar from 1964 in the original fake alligator case. It might be worth $600-900.

I got it for $20 in 1972. ;)
    Joe Rand likes this.
  6. megawatt

megawatt .270 WIN

Yup, just load, shoot and repeat. Cheap stuff is ok you don’t need to get expensive flight control wad equipped shells for now.

I simply lube the assembled gun before break in shooting, I don’t do a disassemble inspection on any new gun. The 590A1 really doesn’t need a lot of break in shells since it’s a pump. But the action will smooth out the more you use it. Mine feels like the action is on ball bearings it’s that nice and smooth.
    Joe Rand likes this.