• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Not so new guy.

Motocrash

.22LR
Hello all from NE Ohio. Been a lurker here for a while, finally signed up. I have one 590a1, awaiting another for my youngest son's 16th birthday. While we're waiting, we've already been buying a few upgrades for it (Hogue short stock, sling, mounts, etc.). Hopefully, it will get here before the pile gets too big.
We planned on SBS-ing a shockwave this summer but it looks loike that's going to have to wait until the madness subsides. I've been seeing some police trade in SBS now and then... may get one of those instead since the wait for the stamp may be shorter than the wait for shockwaves to get back in stock. May be cheaper even with the stamp also.

Welcome to the forum from Florida.
Thanks OM. I lived in Fla in the '80s, still have lots of family there (Fort Pierce, West Palm, Bradenton). Need to make a trip down soon.
Moto, welcome from Oklahoma. I lived in western Ohio for 8 years back in the 60s. Still have family there.
Thanks Meanstreak. I'd move a little farther west in a heartbeat. I think it's much nicer out there. In fact, the wife and I were just talking about it a few days ago.

Moved to Ohio, Greenville, in 61 and the moved to Englewood in 65. Left for the military in 69, but still some family in the Dayton area.

Welcome Motocrash.

Is that a Mikuni with a custom Bitwell lid?

I'd like to blow that design up about 4x as an air cleaner lid.

Keihin CV off of a 2004 Road King. They work amazing on old HD motors. Yes, Biltwell cover. The bird catcher has a hand made "filter" under it.
Right now, the bike has a GasBox dog dish ac on it. It's bigger than the bird catcher but it actually filters.
Another view of carb/dog dish ac. The choke parts are all one-off stainless, the ac is spun aluminum.
Choke-zpsxyhrw299.jpg

Last edited:
Found a pic of the "filter" that's under the bird catcher:
Philter_zpsvgjcddt5.jpg

It doesn't filter much, but it keeps the really bad stuff out. Anyways, it's a shovelhead, you could probably toss 1/4-20 nut in it and it would just spit it out the exhaust.
I'd have to dig through my notes but, I think at one time I had an ac that matched the carb top lined up. Just decided to go with something simpler.

I actually ran a carburetor screw through a running engine once, and so many miles down the road the impression in the top of the piston head glowed bright red and burned through.

I might’ve been running a little bit lean.... Anyhow I rode it down off the pass into Logan Utah on one cylinder. About 10 miles an hour the whole way.

I knew about the impression because I had pulled the head off.

I had looked at the engine and said, “Aw that doesn’t look too bad!” and just put it back together and rode it. I expected to see big old gouges in the cylinder & there was nothing.

BUT there was a shape of a Phillips head stamped in the piston top.

Before she burned through right there.

Howdy, welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...
Cheers!
:cheers:

Back