• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NYC Earthquake

We've been preparing for the "big one" for decades. We're told that whether in a short or long time a 9.0 is going to shake the crap out of the PNW and coastal British Columbia. I believe its the Juan De Fuca fault that they think will deliver a major earthquake to the region along with a tsunami.

I think the biggest issue for folks here in the PNW and BC is the potential for a rapidly occuring thusami wave. Given the near proximity to the offshore plate folks living on the coast might only have minutes of warning to evacuate to higher ground. Evacuation routes have been well marked but many folks likely couldn't tell you where the nearest route is to where they live. And the flooding is not just restricted to the coast. The Columbia River could see a flood surge as far inland as Portland. Same for Seattle and surrounding areas.

The other big issue out here is all the big cities along the I-5 corridor. A vast majority of the buildings and supporting infrastructure in any of these cities was not built to withstand even a much smaller earthquake. Plus bridges will be cut and segments of the population will be stranded.

The saying out here is "not if it will happen but when".

And a majority of the folks are ill prepared.

Regards

Although in my area we don't have the coastal threat potential, but in SE Missouri there is the New Madrid Fault. Wikipedia says "the zone had four of the largest earthquakes in recorded North American history, with moment magnitudes estimated to be as large as 7 or greater, all occurring within a 3-month period between December 1811 and February 1812. Many of the published accounts describe the cumulative effects of all the earthquakes (known as the New Madrid Sequence), so finding the individual effects of each quake can be difficult. Magnitude estimates and epicenters are based on interpretations of historical accounts and may vary. " A few historical accounts said that at one point the Mississippi River at St. Louis flowed backwards for an hour.

In today's world, the pundits say if it lets go again, it'll break windows in NYC. Hope we never find out.

All the media for years has focused on "the big one" in California but to me the potential "big three" are Yellowstone, New Madrin and the Continential Plates off the Washington & Oregon Coast. Any of these three would be devastating to North America and with Yellowstone, potentially the entire world.

Ticking time bombs! Don't mess with Mother Nature.

Regards

All the media for years has focused on "the big one" in California but to me the potential "big three" are Yellowstone, New Madrin and the Continential Plates off the Washington & Oregon Coast. Any of these three would be devastating to North America and with Yellowstone, potentially the entire world.

Ticking time bombs! Don't mess with Mother Nature.

Regards
The Yellowstone caldera is the makings of wild nightmares for certain!

Lol.. have been impacted by a couple major earthquakes and one volcano over the years up here, and so far so good. My grandfather owned one of the few hotels and a restaurant that was not destroyed in Anchorage during their shaker, Mt St Helen’s got me a new work vehicle thanks to grit inhalation and overtime worked during the Nisqually shaker in 01 paid off my house 5 years ahead of schedule… lol

Back